What's the proper thing to do here?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Falls Apart

What's the proper thing to do here?

Post by Falls Apart » March 26th, 2012, 10:18 pm

Earlier today, I was at a book signing for one of my favorite authors, who's written several bestsellers. One of the people I was with mentioned I'm working on a book, and the author gave me some very helpful advice and told me the name and agency of an agent he's worked with, whom he said I should contact when I was ready, and to feel free to say he'd recommended it. So, first of all, yay! :)

However, I went onto that agent's website afterwards and saw that the agent was not currently accepting submissions. This may change by the time I'm ready to submit the manuscript (which may actually be fairly soon) but if not, I was wondering - since one of the agent's former clients recommended I contact him, would it be appropriate to send a query along the lines of, "While I realize you're not accepting submissions at this point, so and so spoke very highly of you and recommended I write to you..." etc., or should I just realize that, although the author was being incredibly nice, he probably didn't know that the agent wasn't accepting submissions, and that it would be rude to go against what it says on the site?

I'd appreciate any advice you guys can give; I'm kind of lost here.

Ryan

Re: What's the proper thing to do here?

Post by Ryan » March 27th, 2012, 2:53 pm

Just be genuine and polite. Email the agent saying you met an author friend/client of theirs. Email the author to remind him/her that met them and you are going drop their name. If it's meant to be, it will be.

Good luck!
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » March 27th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Thanks for the advice :) That'd probably work--I mean, the worst the agent can do is say no, it's not like he's going to shoot out my kneecaps--but I'm still hoping that, but the time I'm ready, he'll be open to submissions again. *crosses fingers*

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » April 1st, 2012, 11:51 am

First off, congrats on getting the referral! Second, you're actually probably better off querying while the agent is closed. Since you are able to say you're writing at the recommendation of someone, you're not breaking the "no-cold-submissions" rule of subbing to someone who's closed. And without a ton of queries pouring in the agent might have a few extra moments to give consideration to yours, a query that is coming at the suggestion of someone he/she has worked with in the past. If you didn't have the referral, clearly you'd have to wait, but since you do, don't hesitate! Once the agent re-opens he/she will be swamped with people who were waiting for the chance to sub and checking the site every day to see when it opens again. I'd say go for it as soon as you're ready and hope for the best. Good luck!
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » April 2nd, 2012, 7:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, and I think I will go for it :) *gets to work on query*

shadow

Post by shadow » April 8th, 2012, 1:38 pm

Go for it. You have nothing to lose ;)
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/