Best time to mention?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Falls Apart

Best time to mention?

Post by Falls Apart » March 24th, 2011, 6:13 pm

So, I already posted this in the Ask Nathan forum, but I would love to get some other opinions on it. In short, while I'm working on finishing the first draft of my YA novel (almost halfway done), I've started mentally drafting my query letter. One stumbling block I've been running into is how to bring up the fact that I'm a minor. From all that I've read/heard, mentioning this in a query is a bad idea. I don't want to be presenting myself as a "teen writer" looking for brownie points at having written a good book "for my age." I've been writing for nine years, am familiar with industry terms/standards, and have spent countless hours working on my current project, and I want to be taken seriously and be held to the same standards as any writer, teen or adult. But, at the same time, if I'm lucky enough to get an agent interested in me, I don't want to surprise him/her with something which, to some people, is very significant. In what point during correspondence with an agent and in what way should this be brought up? Would it be a "deal breaker" to many agents? Thank you!!

Margo

Re: Best time to mention?

Post by Margo » March 24th, 2011, 6:47 pm

I waited until the first telephone conversation. He asked what I did for a living, and I said I was a high school student. No problem.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » March 24th, 2011, 10:15 pm

Huh . . . that works! :) Thanks.

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » March 25th, 2011, 12:32 am

I didn't read what Nathan said, but generally adults don't mention their age or at least I wouldn't.

I'd suggest not saying anything until the agent asks...

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » March 25th, 2011, 1:08 am

Yeah, that's what I thought about first, but when I was agent-blog-browsing, I found a post about a girl who was, apparently, corresponding with an agent who backed out when she found out the girl was a teenager. Which would be a bit of a letdown. But I guess you're right; most probably won't care, and unless they ask or I need to sign anything, it's not really relevent. And besides--first I've got to finish writing it :) I've still got a ways to go.