Possible to re-submit query?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
GaoYuQing

Possible to re-submit query?

Post by GaoYuQing » February 15th, 2011, 10:02 am

Say you submitted a crappy query letter when you were still learning the ropes. Then you polish and polish and polish some more until you think it's to the level you and other's think acceptable. Can you re-submit the new letter to an agent who already rejected you? If so, what is an acceptable length of time to wait? Do you mention your earlier attempt? (I would imagine not, but figure I should ask)

Falls Apart

Re: Possible to re-submit query?

Post by Falls Apart » February 15th, 2011, 3:49 pm

Sorry, but from everything I've heard, it's generally a bad idea. The only exception I know of is if the agent explicitly left that door open. Unless this is the case, I'd avoid it if I were you, to avoid coming off as unprofessional.

GaoYuQing

Post by GaoYuQing » February 15th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Good to know thanks. Then I should definately hold off till I'm confident in my query letter (in another thread) lest I burn any more bridges.

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » February 26th, 2011, 12:46 pm

The first draft of my query letter always got instant turn-downs, usually within twenty-four hours. Now I'm on my third draft, and I'm still getting rejecting, but it's usually taking a week or so--I suspect I'm moving up the ranks, at least. I choose to believe so, anyway.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

authorgirl1485

Post by authorgirl1485 » April 16th, 2011, 6:30 pm

I've read about a few people on Query Tracker's forum that had success after evaluating a query and resubmitting. I think that as long as you do it within reason, it actually shows grit.
Failure teaches success.

jeremybatesbooks

Post by jeremybatesbooks » July 16th, 2011, 5:39 am

id say it depends on how much has changed with a novel...
in the past ive pitched an agent... she said she liked it but ultimately passed... i worked on another book, then a year later i did a rewrite of the book she passed on.... very different in my opinion, especially the first 30 pages
although she didn't recognize the book, she passed again... but still... the point is, she didn't recognize it... so if there's enough time between pitches, and you're not pitching the same thing, why not??
Author "White Lies," Oceanview Publishing, Spring 2012.
http://jeremybatesbooks.blogspot.com/