Address to agent or assistant?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
sarahdee

Address to agent or assistant?

Post by sarahdee » August 29th, 2010, 1:01 am

This is no doubt a stupid question but: if an agent's website says to address all queries to her assistant at the assistant's email...do you address the salutation Dear Ms Agent or Dear Ms Assistant or to both?

I'm leaning towards Ms Assistant as otherwise the agent would have asked all queries to be addressed to herself but to the assistant's email but I don't want to get it wrong.

Erica75

Re: Address to agent or assistant?

Post by Erica75 » August 29th, 2010, 10:44 am

It's hard to say without seeing the actual website entry, but I doubt it's a dealbreaker either way. Here's some thoughts:
- If it specifically says to address the query to the assistant (with her name listed), do that.
- If it says you may address it to either, it doesn't matter. Either way it has to pass through the assistant first.
- If the agency has many agents using one assistant and says you can address it to any of them, and then you personalize it ("I chose to send to you because...) address it to that particular agent.

Good luck!
we blog - erica and christy - http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » September 2nd, 2010, 1:14 pm

I really don't know. I might address it to both, actually, with the agent's name first.

I agree with Erica, though. I doubt it's a deal breaker....

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 3rd, 2010, 10:49 pm

I'd address it to the agent if you want to query the agent. The assistant might be taking on clients and if so you might consider them, but if you have targeted their boss I'd address it to the agent you're intending to query.