While waiting ...

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Post Reply
RLS
Posts: 37
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Contact:

While waiting ...

Post by RLS » December 7th, 2009, 6:59 pm

I have an agented first novel out with two publishers. One of the two read the whole thing three months ago and offered detailed notes about what she liked and didn't. I revised the ms with her (wise) thoughts in mind.
My agent told me the other publisher liked and is now getting second reads.
I've cleaned out my closets, grocery shopped, scheduled two orthodontist appointments, finished those applications (for my kid), brought in the drycleaning, donated three bags to good will, holiday shopped, scheduled a trip to visit my aunt, made a rockin' tortilla soup, returned emails and calls and read the newspaper, a chapter in my genre and a sitcom script. (Hey, I'm in NYC- eastern standard time.)
In short, I'm going crazy.
And you my fellow forum friends? What do you do while waiting?
Also, if anyone has experience with second reads, please let me know.


J.Jessamyn
Posts: 27
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Location: Southern Tier of New York
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by J.Jessamyn » December 7th, 2009, 7:11 pm

I think I've been on Facebook too long... I was looking for the "like" button in response to Nathan's response... :-P

There has to be something bouncing around in your brain (other than stress). Write it down! :-D
~J. Jessamyn~

Jude Hardin
Posts: 13
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by Jude Hardin » December 7th, 2009, 7:29 pm

I'm confused. Is the 2nd publisher reading the version with revisions based on comments from the 1st? Did the 1st end up passing on it?

RLS
Posts: 37
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by RLS » December 7th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Jude Hardin wrote:I'm confused. Is the 2nd publisher reading the version with revisions based on comments from the 1st? Did the 1st end up passing on it?
Both publishers are reading the newest version. So pub #1 is a re-read.
I started two new projects. I know I could force myself to get to work in earnest which would help me to fall in love with the characters, but for now I'm allowing obsession and productivity to win.

User avatar
shadow
Posts: 302
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 5:06 pm
Location: The moon
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by shadow » December 7th, 2009, 7:37 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Keep writing!
I agree! Writing will keep the other novels off of your mind, and put you into a new world of suspence.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Jude Hardin
Posts: 13
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 5:05 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by Jude Hardin » December 7th, 2009, 9:26 pm

I'm not sure how this usually works, but maybe Nathan can shed some light on it. If an editor is interested enough to send a revision letter and then re-read the ms after a rewrite, shouldn't s/he get an exclusive look?

User avatar
Nathan Bransford
Posts: 1382
Joined: December 4th, 2009, 11:17 pm
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 7th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Jude Hardin wrote:I'm not sure how this usually works, but maybe Nathan can shed some light on it. If an editor is interested enough to send a revision letter and then re-read the ms after a rewrite, shouldn't s/he get an exclusive look?
It depends a lot on the particulars of the situation. Can't really generalize.

User avatar
marilyn peake
Posts: 304
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 4:29 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by marilyn peake » December 7th, 2009, 9:42 pm

It took me a while to get to this point, but I'm much more zen about waiting than I used to be. I just send my stuff out and then practically forget about it while I go about doing other things. I love writing and don't want to ruin that by stressing out too much about publishing. I only got to this point after having quite a few books and short stories published by small press, getting good reviews and winning awards, and getting really good feedback about my latest novel. I want to continue to thoroughly enjoy writing, and stressing out about waiting can seriously interfere with that.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

RLS
Posts: 37
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by RLS » December 7th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Jude Hardin wrote:I'm not sure how this usually works, but maybe Nathan can shed some light on it. If an editor is interested enough to send a revision letter and then re-read the ms after a rewrite, shouldn't s/he get an exclusive look?
First editor said she'd be happy to look again should I address her comments, but there was never any indication that she wanted exclusively.
Also, I haven't gotten involved in who or how my agent goes about the submission process. She's a pro, and I'm a newbie. I trust her judgement. I hope there will come a time for me to weigh in (like with an offer) ... but now is not that time.

RLS
Posts: 37
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 6:30 pm
Contact:

Re: While waiting ...

Post by RLS » December 7th, 2009, 10:21 pm

marilyn peake wrote:It took me a while to get to this point, but I'm much more zen about waiting than I used to be. I just send my stuff out and then practically forget about it while I go about doing other things. I love writing and don't want to ruin that by stressing out too much about publishing. I only got to this point after having quite a few books and short stories published by small press, getting good reviews and winning awards, and getting really good feedback about my latest novel. I want to continue to thoroughly enjoy writing, and stressing out about waiting can seriously interfere with that.
Thanks for the insight ... and something to strive for

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests