Question About Partials

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
JadePhoenix

Question About Partials

Post by JadePhoenix » May 12th, 2010, 1:35 pm

Hi, I just started querying about two-three weeks ago and, after eight rejections (and much chocolate) I finally got my first request for a partial yesterday, yay! I sent it out via e-mail and the agent said that there is a 10-12 week lead time on a response (this is fine but will require MUCH more chocolate). This morning I got up and found I actually had a second request for a partial from another agent! The second agent wanted to be informed if anyone else was reviewing the work so I drafted a cover letter for the requested materials and made sure to mention that one other agent was currently reviewing the first three chapters/synopsis. My question, after that long lead in, was if I should now go back and tell the first agent that I'm sending a partial out to a second agent? I've noticed in a number of agent blogs that they prefer knowing when other agents are considering the same work but my worry is that, since it was yesterday that I sent out the first, she might think it odd that I got a request so immediately after and wonder if I'm making it up or, worse, she might get the impression that I'm trying to pressure her into reading my partial sooner. I'm just excited that anyone at all wants to read my manuscript and I don't want to make a mistake and mess up any chance I might have. So, should I tell the second agent and then send an e-mail to the first letting her know or tell the second agent and not say anything to the first? Thank you in advance for any advice. :)

Krista G.

Re: Question About Partials

Post by Krista G. » May 12th, 2010, 2:23 pm

JadePhoenix, unless the first agent specifically asked to be notified in the case of another REQUEST, I don't think you need to mention it. Most agents assume your work is being read by others, so I think you're good.

Of course, if one of those requests turns into an offer, then I'd notify everyone immediately (and before you accept the offer). Might as well give yourself a chance to get multiple offers on the table, right? :)
Author of THE REGENERATED MAN (G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers, Winter 2015)
Represented by Kate Schafer Testerman of kt literary
www.motherwrite.blogspot.com

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix » May 12th, 2010, 3:11 pm

I'd be thrilled to get ONE offer! :)
Thank you for the advice, Krista. I'll go ahead and inform the second agent (she specifically stated that, while she did not ask for exclusives, she wanted to know when other agents were also considering) and I'll leave the first alone and wait to see what happens!

bcomet

Post by bcomet » May 13th, 2010, 11:32 am

Hi. I recently put a similar question up on the Ask Your Resident Agent thread.

It feels tricky to me too when some agents assume exclusivity over a read.
So, I gather transparency is essential if agents are reading or have requested partials, and
have asked to stay informed if it is being read or considered elsewhere.
But what a lucky place to be in. Short and polite is all.
*(An example of such a letter/e-mail would be nice if anyone has one.)*
However I think that exclusivity for a read should be agreed to, (between writer and agent specifically),
not just assumed by the agent.

Nathan also advised me that if I granted an exclusive read, it should have a time table on it too: 1-2 months.

JadePhoenix

Post by JadePhoenix » May 13th, 2010, 6:20 pm

I've only queried one agent so far that requests an exclusive and that one hasn't replied to me yet. This one that I sent a partial to does not request an exclusive but wants to know if anyone else is considering your manuscript at the same time. I ended up drafting a cover letter to the second agent telling her that I was enclosing the requested materials and that, as per her request, I was informing her that one other agent was considering the work at the same time. I then also included the original query letter and then the synopsis and pages.

For the first agent I left it alone. Both have a 10-12 week lead time though so now I have to wait and hope that one of them likes me!

What would you like an example of? I can post the cover letter I drafted to the second agent if you want. I don't know how good it was but I'll put it up if you like.