Eh... Author bio?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
BlancheKing

Eh... Author bio?

Post by BlancheKing » April 12th, 2010, 3:28 pm

I got another partial request (which is good) but it says to send the synopsis (which is okay) and an author bio with it (which isn't so good). I have no writing achievements, art and music won't bail me out (will it?), and I'm an undergrad sophomore pre-med/law-not-writing. Everyone else seems to have a) a job b) masters degree of sorts and c) some kind of writing achievement.

So what do I tell an agent in an author bio?
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

Quill

Re: Eh... Author bio?

Post by Quill » April 12th, 2010, 3:40 pm

Maybe just add a line at the bottom of your synopsis that this is your first novel. Simple and straightforward. Let your writing stand on its own merits. You'll be fine. The agent will appreciate your candor.

I definitely wouldn't add stuff like you've been writing since you were a tyke, or that you've read a hundred books in your genre.
Last edited by Quill on April 12th, 2010, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KellyWittmann

Post by KellyWittmann » April 12th, 2010, 3:41 pm

Tell them about your life, Blanche. Tell them about the art and the music and everything else that makes up who you are. Don't assume that your lack of writing credentials or a degree will be a deal-breaker for all (or even most) agents. Turn it into a plus by representing yourself as someone who is fresh and new and excited about beginning a new phase of your life. If you can write, you can write, and some agents prefer to work with writers who don't have (what they perceive to be) "too much baggage" (believe me, I know).

KellyWittmann

Post by KellyWittmann » April 12th, 2010, 3:44 pm

I do agree with Quill, however, that it should be brief. Be upbeat and positive.

otherside89girl

Post by otherside89girl » April 12th, 2010, 11:16 pm

I agree with KellyWittmann. Also, maybe you could add something about how or why you made the time to write the novel what with all your other responsibilities (aka school)... Explain why your story just had to be written. If you can get that across and still keep the upbeat/brief theme going on.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 13th, 2010, 7:59 am

Agents don't really want people fluffing things up, or trying to go into their motivation or anything. Simple. If you don't have much to say, don't say it. Agents aren't bothered by lack of writing credits. If the book is good, it's good. I'd just say something like "I'm currently attending Such and Such Stuffy University, and Blankety Blank is my first novel. Thanks for your time and blah blah blah."

Charming, I know...

Best,
Ink
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com