the Agent you came to the dance with

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
bcomet

Re: the Agent you came to the dance with

Post by bcomet » April 14th, 2010, 10:35 am

What would you do, if an agent wants the work you queried about
and you have a number of novels in the drawer?
Do you see if he/she has any interest in those too, since you would want the agent to rep your career, not just one project?
At what point does the discussion include that bigger picture?

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » April 14th, 2010, 10:58 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:
Ink is correct that this has been my policy historically
That's good. I thought maybe all the hummouos was going to my head. Ah, this new organic living thing... it's like a party except without, you know, the party.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Mira

Post by Mira » April 15th, 2010, 12:07 pm

Decided to take this out - bit too personal....
Last edited by Mira on April 15th, 2010, 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Damon Shulenberger

Post by Damon Shulenberger » April 15th, 2010, 1:21 pm

While I appreciate your empathy Mira, I`m not so sure that–– at this point––the would-be-author/agent relationship is so deep as all that. I have confidence that, as they say, good writing will find a home. And I believe my writing is good. It is not like I poured my heart and soul out to the first agent. I simply did a second draft, taking into consideration her comments, and then a third. Followed by a new set of comments, and support for further revisions. All in all, 15-20 emails. Agents are extremely busy, believe me, and if this sounds a little more like work than love, you would be correct.

Be careful of getting your heart set on Mr. Bransford representing you, Mira. At all costs, don`t become a fan. Become a writer. Even as a very accomplished writer, it is more than likely that you will be rejected by the agent you hoped to have. Write so well that two of the fifty agents you contact become interested in representing you.

Mira

Post by Mira » April 15th, 2010, 3:02 pm

Damon - 15-20 e-mails? Wow, she did give you alot of support. That is odd that she didn't ask for exclusivity, but maybe, like Nathan said, she just assumed it. One thing to think about is she'll do that with all of your books. If you liked her feedback, I'd definitely take that into consideration.

Be a writer, not a fan! Good advice! That was my point, too! :)

In terms of having my heart set on Nathan, that's kind of you, but that ship has way sailed. But it's okay, because he already rejected me and it didn't faze me a whit. So, no worries.

But I stand by my point - many writers are vulnerable - maybe some more than others. That's why we need to support each other, and be careful.