Question about manuscript readers

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
A.M.Kuska

Re: Question about manuscript readers

Post by A.M.Kuska » April 11th, 2010, 12:45 pm

I usually don't get past the first three chapters because by the end of the third chapter I'm just repeating the same thing over, and over, and over again. I used to edit novels all the time for my friends, but after someone sent me a 200,000 word novel with incorrect dialogue tags, and asked me to fix every single one, I quit. I'm not going to fix every error in the book when it is the exact same one all the way through. -.-

AAlicia88

Post by AAlicia88 » April 12th, 2010, 12:59 pm

Tameson, atleast he's reading your work. My husband is not a reader. Knowing this, I asked him once if he would ever read one of my novels and he responded, "I'll just watch it when the movie comes out." I couldn't help but be flattered that he was so sure I'd be that successful.

tameson

Post by tameson » April 12th, 2010, 5:21 pm

Last time my husband read my work, he asked if I know what he does at work. I said harass the real engineers. Apparently, his job includes proofing all the engineers reports, protocols, etc and finding every spot where they are vague, imprecise and use improper language. So, he might have more training in editing than most engineers. And he claims he is no more demanding on me than he is on the engineers.