Lulu makin me loco!

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Mary-Catharine

Lulu makin me loco!

Post by Mary-Catharine » April 1st, 2010, 10:23 pm

I don't know if self publishing is my groove. If I were to do self publishing, Lulu would be my best option. But I'm not sure if that would market me or give me really good criticism. It looks amazing. I'm not trying to discredit lulu because I think it looks awesome. But I'd to hear any success stories from Lulu publishing.

I also want someone to tell me if my novel is crap so I can change it. I'm worried lulu is going to give me too much freedom in editting. My novel is my baby and I am not able to look at it at any other angle. I've sliced and diced my baby like a hashbrown but I dont' think it's ready. I want to know if Lulu is a good place to start. It looks pretty legit but I need an outside perspective.
thank you so much for your time!
Kudos on the video debut, Nathan!

BlancheKing

Re: Lulu makin me loco!

Post by BlancheKing » April 1st, 2010, 10:42 pm

Why not post a sample page in the "All Things Feedback" forum and see what everyone else says. The one thing I've noticed is that writers tend to be more honest with each other than friend-to-friend.
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

Quill

Post by Quill » April 2nd, 2010, 12:59 am

I agree. Post a page.

One thing's for sure, Lulu or any other POD company isn't going to critique your work.

Mary-Catharine

Post by Mary-Catharine » April 2nd, 2010, 6:12 pm

hahahaha, very true

david 222

Post by david 222 » April 2nd, 2010, 9:01 pm

This is not going to be extremely coherent as I am trying to cook supper and type, but here goes....
According to what I have been told, the book Rich Dad, Poor Dad, which has sold more than 250,000 copies started out as self-published. A local bookstore here carries a Lulu printed book by a local author, they still own 9 of the 10 copies they purchased over a year ago ( I asked).

I too am being tempted by this quasi-sinful act. Just yesterday I spoke with one of the owners of a self publishing firm called dogear publications, which by the way is less expensive then Lulu. I expressed to him (Miles), my fears of sucking, my desire for a writing critique/coach/cheerleader, in other words an opinion on if this work stands a chance in the real world. I can deal with failure (I am a man after all) but not humiliation.

Let me start over..... the business plan for a self publishing company requires that alot of their income comes from the front end (you). If after purchasing their package they get more orders that is extra income for them and a start at making your money back for you. When self publishing on a roughly $2500 package the break even point is between 500 and 1000 copies depending on retail price. That is full retail price. Stores will require a substantial discount to buy your book for resale, between 40-50%. Best guess, 2-5 dollars per copy will be your income. Most stores require that you buy back any unsold copies. Just because your text is on the internet doesn't mean that it will be found, browsed or bought, read or reviewed. Self publishing translates into self marketing. Can you personally develop heat about your baby. Can you do door to door. Can you charm and deal with newspaper book reviewers, and beat the big guys at this.

I read somewhere that 750,000 manuscripts are submitted yearly, of that number 98% are rejected. 70% of what is actually is published fail in the market place. Even if you find an agent, who finds you a publisher, who publishes your book and gets it to the stores there is no guarantee (and damn little odds) that you will make any money.

I don't know if any of this helps you, I am burning supper over it though.
I have not been able to find a manuscript assessment service that I have faith in. Most seem slightly scammish at best. Most are foreign based, 1-5 cents a word and all work is e-mail, no real conformation on what you will receive back. The best that I have found (for me) is the literature students at a college near by. I just ran an ad in the college paper explaining what I needed, not a proof reader, not an editor, but a creative analysis of my writing. I am not friends with these people, I try and keep it professional, and for $15 I can ignore their opinion if I don't like it. Through this method I have found out things about my writing that I never would have known (or guessed). I have had people tell me that they just don't get it, which told me that I was too close to that particular story and needed to build it better. I had one young lady tell me that the story she read made her cry, she refused my money and asked if I had any more that she could read. I didn't learn that much from her but it sure felt good.

anyway good luck i gotta eat