B's Material Request Tracking and Questions

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Post Reply
BlancheKing
Posts: 157
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 7:38 am
Contact:

B's Material Request Tracking and Questions

Post by BlancheKing » March 30th, 2010, 2:57 pm

So rather than make a new thread every time something happens, I thought it'd be cleaner to just keep track of everything here.

As for my book...

(updated as of may 8th)
Total queries sent to date: 10
Queries still awaiting a response: 3
Query rejections: 3
Requests for pages: 2
Requests for manuscript: 2
Last edited by BlancheKing on May 8th, 2010, 6:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

CafeCliche
Posts: 46
Joined: March 1st, 2010, 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by CafeCliche » March 30th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Those are some fantastic stats, congratulations!

As for when to send it, I would say as soon as you can? Within the week would probably be good.

User avatar
gonzo2802
Posts: 105
Joined: March 8th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by gonzo2802 » March 30th, 2010, 4:09 pm

Congrats! Those are some pretty good stats for so early in the game.

I think "reply promptly" is pretty much code for "don't take so long to get back to me that I forgot why I requested this material in the first place".

I can't imagine if you need a week in order to get it together and send it off that this would be a problem for the agent. Otherwise, if they wanted it "same day" then the agent should have expressly said so.

User avatar
JustineDell
Posts: 293
Joined: January 15th, 2010, 11:38 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by JustineDell » March 30th, 2010, 5:56 pm

gonzo2802 wrote:Congrats! Those are some pretty good stats for so early in the game.

I think "reply promptly" is pretty much code for "don't take so long to get back to me that I forgot why I requested this material in the first place".

I can't imagine if you need a week in order to get it together and send it off that this would be a problem for the agent. Otherwise, if they wanted it "same day" then the agent should have expressly said so.
Congrats! And, what she said above ;-)

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

BlancheKing
Posts: 157
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 7:38 am
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by BlancheKing » March 30th, 2010, 9:18 pm

thank you =) now i just need to polish my draft
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by Matthew MacNish » April 1st, 2010, 11:29 am

BlancheKing wrote:thank you =) now i just need to polish my draft
Uh oh. If your draft is not polished 100% you probably should not have been querying. Don't worry though, other have made this mistake (like me). If you already got a request no big deal the agent will either love it so much they offer to rep it anyway, or (more likely) they'll ask you to revise, or reject.

I would love to trade blogs and follow. I''ll stop by yours now.

BlancheKing
Posts: 157
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 7:38 am
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by BlancheKing » April 1st, 2010, 12:15 pm

thanks =) My manuscript is completely edited, but I always like to triple check for stray spaces, dashes, and extra "that"s before I send it off.
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request

Post by Matthew MacNish » April 1st, 2010, 1:45 pm

BlancheKing wrote:thanks =) My manuscript is completely edited, but I always like to triple check for stray spaces, dashes, and extra "that"s before I send it off.
Gotcha, you'll probably be fine then, best of luck!

BlancheKing
Posts: 157
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 7:38 am
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request... rejection

Post by BlancheKing » April 12th, 2010, 6:19 pm

Not sure how to feel today. Got another partial request, but my full came back rejected.

Currently
Total queries sent to date: 8
Queries still awaiting a response: 3
Rejections to date: 4 (a partial, 2 queries, the full)
Form rejections: 4 (^ all those)
Personalized rejections: 0
Requests for pages: 2
Requests for manuscript: 1

I'm starting to think the query's doing its job, but the manuscript isn't... any advice?
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

User avatar
Quill
Posts: 1059
Joined: March 17th, 2010, 9:20 pm
Location: Arizona
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request... rejection

Post by Quill » April 12th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Sounds like your story's got some interest, but the writing isn't strong enough. If that's the case, don't abandon it. Instead, take it through another draft or two. Maybe get some professional editorial feedback, if you have the bucks. Ha. Who does.

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: Life... and full manuscript request... rejection

Post by Matthew MacNish » April 13th, 2010, 6:27 pm

BlancheKing wrote:Not sure how to feel today. Got another partial request, but my full came back rejected.

Currently
Total queries sent to date: 8
Queries still awaiting a response: 3
Rejections to date: 4 (a partial, 2 queries, the full)
Form rejections: 4 (^ all those)
Personalized rejections: 0
Requests for pages: 2
Requests for manuscript: 1

I'm starting to think the query's doing its job, but the manuscript isn't... any advice?
Sounds like you've got a great premise, and probably a strong query.

Ever thought of submitting the first five pages to these forums for critique?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest