Tracking down conferences or other ways to bump into agents

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
ryanznock

Tracking down conferences or other ways to bump into agents

Post by ryanznock » March 29th, 2010, 1:05 am

Are there any good sites that list writers conferences? In particular, I'm in Atlanta, and it seems that aside from Dragon*Con for sci-fi/fantasy geeks like me, all the big conferences are either up north or out west.

Thanks.

Harper Karcz

Re: Tracking down conferences or other ways to bump into agents

Post by Harper Karcz » March 29th, 2010, 9:09 am

Hey, fellow Atlantan! I'm in Midtown.

Atlanta Writers Club has a small conference every year. (Nathan was at the first one, back in '07.) It happens in May, and they offer agent pitch sessions, critiques, and an hourlong Q&A session. I imagine the pitches and critiques are all filled up by now, but you may still be able to squeeze into the agent Q&A session. Also, there's a reception the night before the conference, where the agents and some local published writers come out to mingle with club members.

I write YA magic realism, and our regional SCBWI has a conference in Atlanta every year, so I always go to that. And last year I decided to trek out to Los Angeles for the national SCBWI conference, which was definitely worth it, but not something I'd be able to do every year. A couple years ago, they had the AWP (Association of Writing Programs) national conference here, but I don't know when it's next scheduled to be here. I don't know of any local SF / F conferences, save for the writers' track at Dragon*Con.

Mostly, I just cobble together my own little yearlong writing education program with a combination of my critique group meetings, Atlanta Writers Club meetings (3rd Saturday of every month), reading blogs like crazy, and going to see authors speak when they're in town (usually at Margaret Mitchell House, the B&N in Buckhead, or Little Shop of Stories in Decatur, and of course at the Decatur Book Festival).
Having just the vision's no solution
Everything depends on execution.

-- Stephen Sondheim

Ryan

Post by Ryan » March 29th, 2010, 3:57 pm

"....other ways to bump into agents"
Just put on your scariest outfit and go to their office.
http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/02 ... lowed.html

It took me four years to court my wife. I often tell people that I was a subtle lurker, not a stalker, but a subtle lurker. Maybe subtle lurking could work for you. Find their favorite coffee houses and leave fabulous excerpts on their favorite seats, steal their Sun magazines and replace featured articles with your own, walk by and give them fresh veggies from your garden...

Sometimes I think catching the Yeti would be easier than finding an agent.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

kristi

Post by kristi » March 30th, 2010, 10:46 am

I don't know how far you want to travel but two of the women in my critique group attend the Carolinas SCBWI Conference each year and have had amazing experiences there. One of them is having her second book published this year. The Guide to Literary Agents blog also regularly posts upcoming conferences across the country.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » March 30th, 2010, 1:01 pm

Atlanta Writers Club has a small conference every year. (Nathan was at the first one, back in '07.) It happens in May, and they offer agent pitch sessions, critiques, and an hourlong Q&A session. I imagine the pitches and critiques are all filled up by now, but you may still be able to squeeze into the agent Q&A session. Also, there's a reception the night before the conference, where the agents and some local published writers come out to mingle with club members.

I write YA magic realism, and our regional SCBWI has a conference in Atlanta every year, so I always go to that. And last year I decided to trek out to Los Angeles for the national SCBWI conference, which was definitely worth it, but not something I'd be able to do every year. A couple years ago, they had the AWP (Association of Writing Programs) national conference here, but I don't know when it's next scheduled to be here. I don't know of any local SF / F conferences, save for the writers' track at Dragon*Con.

Mostly, I just cobble together my own little yearlong writing education program with a combination of my critique group meetings, Atlanta Writers Club meetings (3rd Saturday of every month), reading blogs like crazy, and going to see authors speak when they're in town (usually at Margaret Mitchell House, the B&N in Buckhead, or Little Shop of Stories in Decatur, and of course at the Decatur Book Festival).
Good info! Thanks (I'm in Dalton).

Margo

Post by Margo » April 8th, 2010, 1:15 am

ryanznock wrote:Are there any good sites that list writers conferences? In particular, I'm in Atlanta, and it seems that aside from Dragon*Con for sci-fi/fantasy geeks like me, all the big conferences are either up north or out west.

Thanks.
Don't overlook small conferences. I live in a mid-size cultural black hole, but I still managed to meet Harlan Ellison without leaving my po-dunk town.

You might also figure out (if you have not already) which agents and editors you would love to work with, and which writers you admire and have heard are really helpful to aspiring authors, and regularly check their websites for upcoming appearances. I've met a TON that way.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/