How old are you?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Re: How old are you?

Post by dios4vida » February 28th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Seamus wrote:When faced with the apparent demographic of Nathan's World, I feel like I've walked in on one of my adult kids' parties. I finally understand why the YA genre (aside from being red hot commercially) is such a topic of conversation here. It doesn't mean I'm going anywhere, but I suppose I ought to apply for a green card or something so I can stay here legitimately. Is there a geezer consulate somewhere?
I don't think any of us "young'ns" would even think of kicking anyone out, green card or no. I myself am surprised by the general age - in the other writer's forums I've tried I've been among the youngest present - but I think a little variety makes the conversations much more lively. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Erica75

Post by Erica75 » February 28th, 2010, 3:53 pm

I'm 34, which oddly enough makes me exactly double the age of the mc in the novel I'm querying. Although I respectfully ask to be 30 again, since the first two years of each of my son's lives went by too fast to count! Anyhow, I have no idea how many stories I've written - the first I remember is 8th grade English class when my teacher asked me - ME - to stand up and read my story aloud to show everyone else in the class what a great job I'd done. My first attempt at a full-length novel began at age 25 and I got to about 30,000 words, had said first son, and never got back to it. My completed novel was one I started last July and finished about a month ago.
we blog - erica and christy - http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/

shadow

Post by shadow » March 10th, 2010, 2:14 pm

All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » March 10th, 2010, 3:30 pm

I'm 33.

I had no desire to write until I was 18 and out of school, because I didn't realize writing fiction wasn't as mind numbing as writing term papers. Then I spent years writing in gusts and bursts, which meant I never finished a darn thing - other than about 6 NaNo's. About 8 months ago I got serious about writing every day, and I haven't looked back since.

Seamus

Post by Seamus » March 11th, 2010, 9:37 am

All kidding aside, I am so excited to see so many young writers involved in a community like this at ages of 16 and 20! This blog is really a mutual learning opportunity that is only just now available to all of us. It's very exciting to imagine how literature will evolve as a consequence of this and similar online efforts. Technology has opened both ends of the literature world -- writing and reading. We've been talking a lot lately about authors writing without the financial and physical restrictions of getting your words to paper and about readers drawing from a vast expanse of unscreened writers. While a working industry model for this has yet to be forged, it is clearly authors and readers of this age who get to decide this. And it's really great that us old folks (now kidding, I'm only gently into my fifties) don't have a lock on the result.
J. Seamus Welsh
welsh.john.seamus@gmail.com
Blog (a playful place to experiment with character voices): http://oh-thereyouare.blogspot.com/
Website (shameless self-promotion): http://www.inwrittenform.com

Beth

Post by Beth » March 12th, 2010, 8:58 pm

I'm 40. Yes I am an ancient human who actually learned to type on a manual typewriter!

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » March 15th, 2010, 8:58 am

I just turned 25 this month.

Started writing short stories a year ago (just for the fun). Started writing (or tried to be serious in writing) 2 years ago when I drafted my first manuscript, and 2 years later, I am still drafting my first manuscript (college study takes over the urge to write).
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » March 15th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Am I the oldest woman here at 45? Yikes! I've seen some guys who are older, but no women unless I missed their posts. Anyway, I don't think of myself as 'old', I think of myself perfectly aged fine wine. ;-) Besides, I was knocking down jumpshots like a pro today! Even turnaround jumpers. *beams*

eringayles

Post by eringayles » March 17th, 2010, 5:58 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote:Am I the oldest woman here at 45? Yikes! I've seen some guys who are older, but no women unless I missed their posts. Anyway, I don't think of myself as 'old', I think of myself perfectly aged fine wine. ;-) Besides, I was knocking down jumpshots like a pro today! Even turnaround jumpers. *beams*
You're all in nappies! I just scratched my toe and it fell off. I'm so old I need a decent burial.

Started writing at 7. Have written 9 romances - 6 published: 1 hist .fict., rewrite requested, but don't have time: just revamped an old romance (not a lover, a book) & ready to submit: latest is 20 000 words into YA fantasy/horror.

jmcooper

Post by jmcooper » March 23rd, 2010, 12:01 pm

34, been writing since I could hold a pencil, and sometimes afraid I'll die before I'm finished.

tiftruitt

Post by tiftruitt » March 23rd, 2010, 12:05 pm

Just turned 27, but got mistaken for a junior in high school last weekend....errrr...and my students told me I could pull off wearings Vans (those liars).

I have been writing stories since middle school, but started my first book three years ago. It's done and I am querying away. Have some partials and fulls out, so yippie!

craig

Post by craig » March 23rd, 2010, 11:04 pm

tiftruitt wrote:Just turned 27, but got mistaken for a junior in high school last weekend....errrr...and my students told me I could pull off wearings Vans (those liars).
Hahaha... I, too, just turned 27. I, too, am often mistaken for a teenager.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy it.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » March 24th, 2010, 4:04 pm

I just turned 33 this month. I have always wanted to write, since Middle or High School at least, but never got around to it until about two years ago.

otherside89girl

Post by otherside89girl » March 31st, 2010, 8:19 pm

I'm 20, been writing "forever"...except in high school... And started my almost-finished novel when I was 19.

Josin

Post by Josin » March 31st, 2010, 11:36 pm

craig wrote:
tiftruitt wrote:Just turned 27, but got mistaken for a junior in high school last weekend....errrr...and my students told me I could pull off wearings Vans (those liars).
Hahaha... I, too, just turned 27. I, too, am often mistaken for a teenager.

I don't know about you, but I enjoy it.
I get mistaken for a teenager, too. I've had Wal-Mart refuse to sell me R-rated DVD's (when I didn't have my ID with me), and when I went with my mom to help her do her taxes, the preparer thought I was a minor dependent. It can be both cool and annoying depending on the situation.