Favorite writing distractions

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dmarie84

Re: Favorite writing distractions

Post by dmarie84 » December 14th, 2009, 1:26 pm

--Facebook
--Reading all the blogs I subscribe to
--watching videos on YouTube--I'm a bit of a YouTube junkie :P
--Playing Animal Crossing on the Wii. Mindless fun :)
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

Trw78Writes

Post by Trw78Writes » December 14th, 2009, 6:29 pm

School assignments
reading, pretending I'm studying other authors when really, I'm just reading
Blogging
visiting blogs
being a small lit journal's (school's) editor
Playstation
Steelers football (That's probably the most embarrassing I'll say in the forum- they are HORRIBLE this year!)
Painting
sketching
hanging out with friends
Facebook
Twitter
email
and last but not least, texting.

I have the premise for my novel and the notebook. That's it. But I'm flexing the writing muscles by writing short fiction. And poetry. And then, getting right back on the net to get critiques. *sighs*. If I still had my Commodore 64 I wouldn't have this problem!
My work:
Connotation Press- http://bit.ly/twhite-fiction
Pure Slush, Slut and Notausgang Issues- http://bit.ly/twhite-pureslush
Grit Fiction- http://bit.ly/twhiteveronica
Blog: http://collegelackey.com

rose

Post by rose » December 18th, 2009, 1:41 pm

After years of practice, I feel that I have at last perfected the Art of Procrastination.

There's High Level Procrastination which includes visiting blogs and websites and reading anything related to writing, publishing, or agenting.

There's Low Level Procrastination such as playing endless, mindless games of Spider.

And then there is Justifiable Procrastination which includes doing anything that must be done to keep body and soul together in a reasonably clean and healthy state: shopping, cooking, cleaning, exercise, etc. This is also usually Procrastination of the Last Resort for me.

Hanging out here is my new favorite High Level distraction.

rose
Follow my work at Smashwords:

Riders on the Rez http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/35697
The Good-Bye Man

Sara

Post by Sara » December 18th, 2009, 4:36 pm

rose wrote:
Hanging out here is my new favorite High Level distraction.

rose
I'm with you, Rose. This place has such a nice atmosphere so far--Nathan's gotta get tough when the doom and gloomers starting piling in. Anyway, I don't feel guilty; I've had a productive week and it is Friday and I've gotta do something to distract me from my email inbox--waiting for an answer on a full ms request three weeks ago. I know, could be ages yet. Thank God for distractions, hey?

Cate Hart

Post by Cate Hart » December 18th, 2009, 7:17 pm

You mean besides cruising through all your favorite forums and catching up and posting.....well, Tweetdeck distracts me because it pops up on my computer. My 3 yo daughter wanting to watch Harry Potter (I get sucked in every time). But my biggest distraction is my TBR pile. And it just keeps growing - I have Diana Gabaldon's latest Jamie and Claire saga to read, Alyson Noel's Blue Moon, LJ Smith's Vamp Diaries book 3 and 4, and I just bought Lauren Kate's Fallen.....

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » December 18th, 2009, 9:44 pm

I spend much too much time on Fark.com.

Rik

Post by Rik » December 20th, 2009, 8:11 am

Oh, gods. Where to start? I have so many distractions. I subscribe to too many blogs, for starters, and then there's the authonomy thing ...

But when it comes to serious anti-writing displacement activity, I have to admit I'm my own worst enemy: drawing maps, for instance, or inventing my own languages ...

Talking of conlanging, has anyone seen Avatar yet?
To Posterity - the latest chapbook of poems from Rik Roots ($free)

Holly

Post by Holly » December 22nd, 2009, 6:44 am

Watching tornado videos on YouTube... plus videos about kittens that can open doors and like to sit in the sink.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » December 23rd, 2009, 9:08 am

Cate Hart wrote:You mean besides cruising through all your favorite forums and catching up and posting.....well, Tweetdeck distracts me because it pops up on my computer. My 3 yo daughter wanting to watch Harry Potter (I get sucked in every time). But my biggest distraction is my TBR pile. And it just keeps growing - I have Diana Gabaldon's latest Jamie and Claire saga to read, Alyson Noel's Blue Moon, LJ Smith's Vamp Diaries book 3 and 4, and I just bought Lauren Kate's Fallen.....
God, yes! Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series has been the biggest distraction for me this past month. I'm completely addicted! It really isn't healthy to stay up until after 6am reading. When you can hear the birds singing, and you know your husband's alarm is going to go off in half an hour, you know you have a problem! Those books - and my 16-month-old son - keep me quite distracted, which is why I do most of my writing when husband and son are asleep =)

Nathan's blog and forums don't help at all, either. I'm supposed to be editing right now ;)

Tzalaran

Post by Tzalaran » December 23rd, 2009, 10:37 am

playing games with my family has been the biggest distraction lately (LotR Risk, Axis and Allies, and Texas Hold'em have been the games du jour for the past few weeks).

working on 3d is about the only other thing i do besides write. i don't consider that a distraction, more different focus on same project.
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

jenniferjbennett

Post by jenniferjbennett » January 5th, 2010, 12:15 am

1. Facebook
2. Twitter
3. Blogs
4. Facebook
5. Paying Bills
6. Rereading
7. Facebook
8. Calling Writer Friends
9. Emailing Writer Friends
10. Facebook
11. Helping Kids with Homework
12. Doing Wash
13. Facebook...
Jennifer J. Bennett

lexcade

Post by lexcade » January 5th, 2010, 5:18 am

One word:

XBOX.

before that, my ps2.

but i've figured out that if i'm stuck somewhere in the plot, gaming actually helps me work it out. so...it's kinda productive...right?
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

dode

Post by dode » January 8th, 2010, 3:13 am

definitely
Call of duty modern warfare 2.

Then after that i would have to say internetting on the internet machine in general. Just looking up stupid random stuff.

often i just turn the wireless adapter on my laptop off in order to "lock" myself out

stevenchasey

Post by stevenchasey » January 15th, 2010, 12:33 pm

Fantasy baseball. Amazing how much more interesting the stats and projections are when you are hiding in a corner from your writing.

Anavaz

Post by Anavaz » January 19th, 2010, 1:38 pm

I have many, but since the topic is FAVORITE I'd say:

Reading - I LOVE to read, I try to rationalize that I do it because it will make me a better writer but I have to be honest, I do it because I just couldn't make it through life without reading. I'm such a voracious reader - obsessed is a more honest word - that I can read a book in one sitting, in three hours boom! I'm done.

IM'ing with Brooke (my bestfriend) - Is another distraction but only when we get sidetracked because we do have word wars to make ourselves finish our stories.

Sports - NFL, European Soccer (or just Soccer cause I love me some Boca Juniors), Formula One, those are other big distractions, especially if you become a maniac that screams obscenities to the TV when a play goes wrong.

Other NOT Favorite distractions:

School - I'm a Law student and this one's a HUGE distraction, I work and go to school at night so you can imagine. Honestly I don't know how I've managed to go through shcool, write (almost 6 stories) and read over 8-10 novels a month. I guess sleep is not a priority for me, hehe.