Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
FK7

Re: Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Post by FK7 » April 24th, 2010, 7:18 pm

Finale has been leaked... article about it:
http://www.tv.com/lost-finale-spoiled!- ... ;gumball;1 (no spoilers there)

ryanznock

Post by ryanznock » April 25th, 2010, 4:44 pm

I just wanted to mention this. I work at Emory University, where Salman Rushdie is a professor, and right now we have an exhibit at our library, A World Mapped by Stories, about his books. One of the displays is a wall map with an artist's rendering of the world as it is presented in Rushdie novels. Lots of stuff about India and England, a rainbow in Kansas (because Rushdie loves Wizard of Oz), . . . and a four-toed statue on an island in the Pacific.

I wish I had a digital camera so I could upload a photo.

Josin

Post by Josin » April 25th, 2010, 5:24 pm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ >

iz seriously annoyed that Tuesday's episode is a rerun.

>.<
^

Steppe

Post by Steppe » April 29th, 2010, 5:14 pm

Schedule from About.com

Date Time Episode or Event
5/4/10 9-10:02 p.m. The Candidate
5/11/10 9-10:02 p.m. Across the Sea
5/18/10 9-10:02 p.m. What They Died For
5/22/10 9-11 p.m. Two Hour Series Premiere - Pilot Part 1 & Pilot Part 2
5/23/10 7-9 p.m. Recap Show
5/23/10 9-11 p.m. The End

Slowly re-watching the series using Netflix its all very conventional
and the hints of a greater reality are slim except for Smokies appearances.
Early there is tons of backstory and limited world building or rationalization of
Smokie's existence.

Locke early on seems to be a horse that was able to be posessed by both Jacob and MIB
When it seems Jacob is in him he is willing to confront the smoke monster until he loses
the presence of Jacob and panics. This is the scene that terminates with Kate throwing
a stick of dynamite down Smokies hole.

Smokie throwing Desmond down the well but not killing him seems to be
the _future event_ that reached _into the past_ and drew Desmond to the Island.

The magor foreshadowing event seems to occur when Locke and Jack are in the hatch
and Desmond tells them to "watch" the orientation film behind the book "Turn Of The Screw."
whose narrator is Dr. Marvin Candle.

Similar to the key event when Desmond throws the failsafe close to the pit opening.
According to the foreshadow tool a magor conflict should come down between
Elois and Penny as Widmores two primary female compatriots.

The old... two strong women face-off trick,
Miles, in both linear and abstract side clue plotlines dies.
So a Flora substitute conflict seems hinted at definitively

"Turn Of The Screw"
An unnamed narrator listens to a male friend reading a manuscript written by a former governess whom the friend claims to have known and who is now dead. The manuscript tells the story of how the young governess is hired by a man who has found himself responsible for his niece and nephew after the death of their parents. He lives in London and has no interest in raising the children. The boy, Miles, is attending a boarding school whilst his sister, Flora, is living at the country house in Essex. She is currently being cared for by the housekeeper, Mrs. Grose. The governess's new employer gives her full charge of the children and explicitly states that she is not to bother him with communications of any sort. The governess travels to her new employer's country house and begins her duties.

Miles soon returns from school for the summer just after a letter from the headmaster stating that he has been expelled. Miles never speaks of the matter, and the governess is hesitant to raise the issue. She fears that there is some horrid secret behind the expulsion, but is too charmed by the adorable young boy to want to press the issue. Shortly thereafter, the governess begins to see around the grounds of the estate the figures of a man and woman whom she does not recognize. These figures come and go at will without ever being seen or challenged by other members of the household, and they seem to the governess to be supernatural. She learns from Mrs. Grose that her predecessor, Miss Jessel, and Miss Jessel's illicit lover Peter Quint both died under curious circumstances. Prior to their death, they spent most of their time with Flora and Miles, and this fact takes on grim significance for the governess when she becomes convinced that the two children are secretly aware of the presence of the ghosts.

Later, Flora runs away from the house while Miles plays music for the Governess. They notice and go to find her. The governess and Mrs. Grose find her in a clearing in the wood, and the governess is convinced that she has been talking to Miss Jessel. When Flora is forced to admit this, she demands to never see the governess again. Mrs. Grose takes Flora away to her uncle, leaving the governess with Miles. That night, they are finally talking of Miles' expulsion when the ghost of Quint appears at the window. The governess shields Miles, who screams at her as he attempts to see the ghost. The governess tells him that he is no longer under the control of the ghost, and finds that Miles has died in her arms

Josin

Post by Josin » May 4th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Growl.
Snarl.
Hiss.
Spit.

Lapidus was officially a waste of screen time, just like Illana. Blech.

And I'm surprised they went with that ending for Sun and Jin. Besides the fact that I thought Sun would last through to the end, it was just a seriously weak way to end their story. Total cliche. Blech. Blech. Blech.

At least Sayid got his moment of redemption.... stupid Sawyer.

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 4th, 2010, 10:13 pm

What...the...FRAK! This whole thing made NO SENSE WHATSOEVER!

They could have
-Dived up
-Launched the bag in a torpedo tube
-Contain the blast in a compartment as far away as possible

They just looked at the frickin' bomb like it was a naked picture of Shrek or something. It was simply lazy writing.

That's what happens when you don't know where you're heading, you see there are only four episodes left, and you need to get rid of characters quickly. Is it true to the spirit of Lost?

In a sense, but the decision to kill so many main characters so quickly is unprecedented, in both television and Lost, and hoping to have a dramatic impact by killing so many characters we got to know for six years was just overly ridiculous, stupid, and lazy (yes I realize I said it many times now).

I haven't been this disappointed ever since the day I lost my virginity.

Robin

Post by Robin » May 4th, 2010, 10:42 pm

-You totally read my mind!!! That was awful. How can you kill off such important characters (after 6 frustrating years!!!)!!!!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Josin

Post by Josin » May 4th, 2010, 10:56 pm

It's been pretty much common knowledge that almost all of the MC's are going to die before the end. That's why one of the next episodes is called "Why They Died".

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 4th, 2010, 11:13 pm

It might be so, but there could have been a better way to do it... not to mention the horrible cliché of I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU, I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU!

What about your child you moron?

Josin

Post by Josin » May 4th, 2010, 11:19 pm

FK7 wrote:It might be so, but there could have been a better way to do it... not to mention the horrible cliché of I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU, I WILL NEVER LEAVE YOU!

What about your child you moron?
The one that bugged me was Sayid. "I shall run really fast away with this bomb, through many sealable doors that I shall not bother to shut!"

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 4th, 2010, 11:37 pm

It went a bit like this...

Jack: Oh noes, a bomb!

Sawyer: Let's stare at it for 2 minutes and a half, and hope it disarms itself as if by magic! Lost is good at that!

Sayid: Jack! Let us try to disarm this monstrous thing! Please, ignore the fact I was crazy for the passed five episodes, even watched Kate take a beating from Claire and did nothing, but now, I'm all healed. I'm ready to help again!

Jack: Ok Sayid, let's give it a try!

*groups stare more at the bomb*

Sayid: I shall redeem the evil of my heart and sacrifice myself for nothing. I have military training, I should know 3x bars of C4 will shred me apart and nothing I do will help, but hey... I MUST DIE FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSE!

* BOMB goes Boom *

Jack: Hurry Hurley, save Kate! The hell with the others!

Sun: OH NOES! I'm stuck!

Jin: My love, I shall try to free you from the grasp of that evil metal object. I will save you, we just got reunited for Christ's sake! You even conveniently managed to save my ring all this time!

*They pull it off Sun and Sawyer gets injured*

Jack: Sawyer! I shall save you, old rival! Sorry Jin and Sun, I really must save Sawyer, can't help you, even if I've had a hero complex since the pilot of season 1!

Jin: Go Jack, don't help me, because then we'd be able to move the evil metallic object and we couldn't die as intended!

*Jack leaves with Sawyer*

Sun: I'll appear to be trying to save myself Jin! Look!

Jin: I love you so much, I must stare at you and save my energy for an awesome and epic final kiss!

Sun: Jin, just go! You could live, and be a dad to our daughter.

Jin: Yes, I saw the photo... she's so beautiful! But Never!!! I will never leave you again. *Repeats same line in Korean for emphasis*

*Epic slowed down shot of the submarine with a huge hole on its side. Drama. Violins. Drowning*

Jack, now ashore and WET: WHY! WHY! WHY!

*Hurley cries. Jack cries. Drama. Violins.*

Yes, it was fantastic writing, very well executed, AND FILLED WITH LOGIC AND SENSE!

/sarcasmOff

abc

Post by abc » May 4th, 2010, 11:53 pm

I very much enjoyed that dialogue, FK7.

Sad to see Sun and Jin go bye bye (and as a mother I was furious that they didn't think about their kid), But I'm going to miss Jeff Fahey the most!

Josin

Post by Josin » May 4th, 2010, 11:54 pm

You forgot Lapidus' final moments.

"Oh look. It is all leaky in here. I shall stand here while the leaky door flies off and knocks me down, then no one will even notice I fell in the water. They also will not ask about me when only Jack and Sawyer come out of the ocean." (I'm so coming back as a ghost and haunting your @$$ Hurley!)

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 5th, 2010, 12:57 am

Thank you Josin, I had indeed forgotten that very important moment! Shame on me!

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 5th, 2010, 1:13 am

FK7 wrote:It went a bit like this...

Jack: Oh noes, a bomb!

Sawyer: Let's stare at it for 2 minutes and a half, and hope it disarms itself as if by magic! Lost is good at that!

Sayid: Jack! Let us try to disarm this monstrous thing! Please, ignore the fact I was crazy for the passed five episodes, even watched Kate take a beating from Claire and did nothing, but now, I'm all healed. I'm ready to help again!

Jack: Ok Sayid, let's give it a try!

*groups stare more at the bomb*

Sayid: I shall redeem the evil of my heart and sacrifice myself for nothing. I have military training, I should know 3x bars of C4 will shred me apart and nothing I do will help, but hey... I MUST DIE FOR THE GOOD OF THE UNIVERSE!

* BOMB goes Boom *

Jack: Hurry Hurley, save Kate! The hell with the others!

Sun: OH NOES! I'm stuck!

Jin: My love, I shall try to free you from the grasp of that evil metal object. I will save you, we just got reunited for Christ's sake! You even conveniently managed to save my ring all this time!

*They pull it off Sun and Sawyer gets injured*

Jack: Sawyer! I shall save you, old rival! Sorry Jin and Sun, I really must save Sawyer, can't help you, even if I've had a hero complex since the pilot of season 1!

Jin: Go Jack, don't help me, because then we'd be able to move the evil metallic object and we couldn't die as intended!

*Jack leaves with Sawyer*

Sun: I'll appear to be trying to save myself Jin! Look!

Jin: I love you so much, I must stare at you and save my energy for an awesome and epic final kiss!

Sun: Jin, just go! You could live, and be a dad to our daughter.

Jin: Yes, I saw the photo... she's so beautiful! But Never!!! I will never leave you again. *Repeats same line in Korean for emphasis*

*Epic slowed down shot of the submarine with a huge hole on its side. Drama. Violins. Drowning*

Jack, now ashore and WET: WHY! WHY! WHY!

*Hurley cries. Jack cries. Drama. Violins.*

Yes, it was fantastic writing, very well executed, AND FILLED WITH LOGIC AND SENSE!

/sarcasmOff
DYING laughing. WHY WHY WHY indeed.