Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Robin

Re: Lost - Possible Spoilers!

Post by Robin » May 19th, 2010, 9:25 am

Rick Daley wrote:I don't know about you, but I would have been throwing a lot of wood onto Jacob's tiny fire.
I was thinking the same thing! LOL!

I have a sick feeling the cameras will fade to black after the final scene and then JJ Abrams will appear in a PSA-type format saying,
"I want to thank you for your continued support of LOST for the past 6 years. Little did you know, that you've been actively participating in a Dharma experiment as viewers. We have been testing how much unanswered questions the average television viewer is willing to endure."

I hope Sunday is a good one.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

lac582

Post by lac582 » May 20th, 2010, 1:46 am

Robin - that made me laugh out loud :)

SXBrase

Post by SXBrase » May 21st, 2010, 2:55 pm

kids!

before watching the finale, please read this.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2010 ... b-20100520

it may help you.

BarbaraB

Post by BarbaraB » May 21st, 2010, 8:48 pm

Nathan, we feel your loss.

mkcbunny

Post by mkcbunny » May 22nd, 2010, 1:47 am

SXBrase wrote:kids!

it may help you.
I already feel like I've gotten more of some kinds of answers that I'd like. I think I enjoyed the island mysteries better not having the Lacob/brother backstory. It actually left me feeling that Jacob was kind of a simpleton who knew even less than WE do about the island at this point. (Doesn't help that I love Titus Welliver, either.)

I'd like there to be some mysteries left, vs. having a forced tie-up of too many points. But, on the other hand, there are some things I really do want resolved. And I also think Ben ought to be instrumental in killing Smokey—and probably die as a result.

SXBrase

Post by SXBrase » May 22nd, 2010, 12:54 pm

mkcbunny wrote:
SXBrase wrote:kids!

it may help you.
I already feel like I've gotten more of some kinds of answers that I'd like. I think I enjoyed the island mysteries better not having the Lacob/brother backstory. It actually left me feeling that Jacob was kind of a simpleton who knew even less than WE do about the island at this point. (Doesn't help that I love Titus Welliver, either.)

I'd like there to be some mysteries left, vs. having a forced tie-up of too many points. But, on the other hand, there are some things I really do want resolved. And I also think Ben ought to be instrumental in killing Smokey—and probably die as a result.
yeah I feel like it's possible that Ben will play a Gollum role. Redemption at the price of his life.

I think showing Jacob to be about as well informed as Ben had ever been was amazing. It strips Jacob of his power over the audience and allows us to let go of him. It also throws the relevance of most outstanding questions into doubt. If Jacob, the man revered through the entire show, doesn't know what the "essence" of the island is--then perhaps it doesn't matter?

In a lot of ways, the writers seem to be arguing that essential meaning is unknowable, and is thus useless. As the article I posted argues, it seems allegorical of the human condition to posit a lot of huge mysteries and then answer only a handful of them.

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 23rd, 2010, 7:21 pm

The end of an era has begun folks.

mkcbunny

Post by mkcbunny » May 23rd, 2010, 7:52 pm

SXBrase wrote: I think showing Jacob to be about as well informed as Ben had ever been was amazing. It strips Jacob of his power over the audience and allows us to let go of him. It also throws the relevance of most outstanding questions into doubt. If Jacob, the man revered through the entire show, doesn't know what the "essence" of the island is--then perhaps it doesn't matter?

In a lot of ways, the writers seem to be arguing that essential meaning is unknowable, and is thus useless. As the article I posted argues, it seems allegorical of the human condition to posit a lot of huge mysteries and then answer only a handful of them.
I'm OK with the unknowable as an idea. It also makes sense that Jacob would be clueless as a young man and acquire knowledge as he's lived on the island. But overall, I did take that whole episode as being more, in retrospect, than I wanted to know. On that particular angle anyway. What bothered me more than Jacob's being in the dark was simply the fact that he didn't seem very bright. I at least wanted him to show some glimmer of intelligence. But maybe he needed that special island water to get some smarts. (Really.)

Robin

Post by Robin » May 23rd, 2010, 8:15 pm

Anyone else feeling a little sad? I may be suffering from LOSTepression... :(

Looks like my Tuesday nights are open now.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 23rd, 2010, 9:26 pm

It's only been 25min but now I'm betting that all the flash sideways are actually what happened after the island was destroyed (I assume it will be destroyed)... and the flash sideways will become the new present.

BETS ARE IN!!!

Robin

Post by Robin » May 23rd, 2010, 9:30 pm

FK7 wrote:It's only been 25min but now I'm betting that all the flash sideways are actually what happened after the island was destroyed (I assume it will be destroyed)... and the flash sideways will become the new present.

BETS ARE IN!!!
Great idea. but where does Smokey fit in?
Robin

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 23rd, 2010, 9:52 pm

I assume he'll die when Jack throws him in the light... or something like that.

And holy crap Lipidus is alive!

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 23rd, 2010, 11:30 pm

Well, I'm not angry, so that's something!

It was definitely cheerful to have the series end on a high and happy note... the reunion was touching, and I think it's brilliant that all their memories came back, and those who were destined to be together were. However, I do not feel like the loop is complete. In fact, it felt very much incomplete.

They just didn't explain ANYTHING. N-O-T-H-I-N-G was explained. I understand the writers said it was all about the writing (in the pre-show from 7 to 9), but it was the same for Battlestar Galactica, and they still delivered a character driven finale that was both epic AND fulfilling. They actually provided answers.

I'm sad we didn't get to see Walt and his dad... but we got the dog. Seems like a serious oversight.

In the end I'm going to say it was an OK finale, but not fulfilling at all. It's sad they could not harness the will (or the talent?) to provide answers... I mean, what's with all the Egyptian references if you're not going to use them? Seems like lazy writing to me.

The show will be missed, but I'm disappointed in the writers. They gave the final impression they had bitten off more than they could chew.

Robin

Post by Robin » May 23rd, 2010, 11:31 pm

So I just spent the last 6 years watching the f*%$king Titanic?!?!?!!??!?!

Curse you JJ Abrams!!!
Robin

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 23rd, 2010, 11:36 pm

To be fair, apparently, J.J. Abrams stopped writing it after season 2, and only stayed as executive producer... the writers are the two dudes we saw in the pre-finale special.

I think the ending in the church was cheap and cheesy. Ok, we finally get that the flashsideways was the heaven or the afterlife, where people managed to get back in touch, and in the church, they were all died... so the folks in the plane survived, eventually died... and once everyone had died, they all joined up together to move on... where? the after-after life?