Readings...In-Person Events

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Ryan

Readings...In-Person Events

Post by Ryan » October 26th, 2012, 7:24 pm

Procrastination seems like a reasonable place to put this.

If anyone else has a reading or other in-person event then post the information here so we can check the thread every now and then. You never who you'll meet and what ideas you might pick up. It's good to step away from the computer and mingle over a beer (or2or3or4ormore). I'll be reading with James Bernard Frost, another Portland author, on November 17th at Corkscrew Wine Bar. As usual, my presentation will be multimedia.

Details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/443383222363590/

Cheers,

Ryan
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

JohnDurvin

Re: Readings...In-Person Events

Post by JohnDurvin » March 18th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Since it's been a while since Ryan posted this and nobody's said anything, I don't feel bad veering the conversation a little bit--anybody have experience doing this kind of thing, readings and author talks and that kind of thing? It's majorly early for me to be thinking about doing them, but a local used book store (Eagle Eye Books, for anybody in the Atlanta area) is trying to encourage local authors to do talks, and it just got me to thinking. How do you prepare for this kind of thing?

So far, I've only gone to one of their events, but it was pretty awesome; a woman that wrote a book about Snorri Sturlson gave a talk about how unreliable the guy was, and how he's often the only source for huge chunks of what we know of Norse mythology, and it all comes from a book he wrote to amuse to teen-age king. They had free samples of mead and optional paper Viking helmets.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Quill

Central Arizona - Spring '13 Events

Post by Quill » March 19th, 2013, 6:42 pm

I'll be part of a panel on self-publishing and marketing, at Peregrine Book Company, April 14 at 2 pm, in Prescott, Arizona. I'm the presenter for House of Lit Author Services, helping authors publish their books.

We're also giving a couple of seminars this spring. One is at the Dewey-Humboldt Library in Humboldt, Arizona, April 30, on Self-Publishing. The other is at the Prescott Library in Prescott, Arizona, May 23, on Marketing and Promotion.

Check us out at HouseOfLit.com or myself at carlgrimsman.com. All events are free and open to the public. Plenty of time for discussion after the talks. We expect a great group of authors and soon-to-be authors of all stripes at each event. If you're in Central Arizona, come on over. It will be a productive good time.