You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
User avatar
Mira
Posts: 1354
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 9:59 am
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Mira » June 7th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
Claudie wrote:... when you can tell new posts by looking at the timestamp on the last.
OMG I do this too.

Also

...when you can tell new posts by looking at who the last commenter was for that folder.
Ha! Ha! I do that TOO!!

Although, I think hektorkarl has a good point!

I must have a smiley for every post. I'm picking this one: :mrgreen:

trixie
Posts: 311
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by trixie » June 15th, 2011, 12:49 pm

When you're reading Jacob Wonderbar while trucking along on the treadmill and you are overcome with a NEED TO KNOW if the orange book jacket is the same orange as the site.

Ditto to the time stamps and referring to you in "real life" conversations.

Side note: I tried to explain how I wrote a guest post for Wicked and Tricksy to my best friend. We first had to start with "What is spec fiction?" then moved on to "What's the Hero's Journey and this mentor?" So by time I got to the bottom where I answered 3 mentors I'd like to hit up Vegas with, she was lost. "Who the eff' is the Mother Confessor?"

Ugh. Never mind! :)

Nicole R
Posts: 186
Joined: September 30th, 2010, 4:40 pm
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Nicole R » June 15th, 2011, 1:46 pm

You're flipping through TV and find yourself wondering how Nathan would write each character's introductory remarks to announce the finalists in the annual first paragraph contest.

Trixie, your comment almost made me fall off my chair laughing! Loved the post on Wicked & Tricksy, btw.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by dios4vida » June 15th, 2011, 3:09 pm

trixie wrote:When you're reading Jacob Wonderbar while trucking along on the treadmill and you are overcome with a NEED TO KNOW if the orange book jacket is the same orange as the site.

Ditto to the time stamps and referring to you in "real life" conversations.

Side note: I tried to explain how I wrote a guest post for Wicked and Tricksy to my best friend. We first had to start with "What is spec fiction?" then moved on to "What's the Hero's Journey and this mentor?" So by time I got to the bottom where I answered 3 mentors I'd like to hit up Vegas with, she was lost. "Who the eff' is the Mother Confessor?"

Ugh. Never mind! :)
Trixie, I love all of these comments. And your blog post, also. If it makes you feel any better, you never lost me in it - I've read and loved all of the mentors you mentioned. :)

I cannot tell y'all how many of my statements begin with: "So I was on the Bransforums and..." I call y'all my virtual buddies. ;)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

User avatar
Watcher55
Posts: 741
Joined: November 27th, 2010, 8:25 am
Location: Plantser-ville
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Watcher55 » June 15th, 2011, 11:07 pm

trixie wrote:When you're reading Jacob Wonderbar while trucking along on the treadmill and you are overcome with a NEED TO KNOW if the orange book jacket is the same orange as the site.
I sometimes wonder if Nathan is a closet Image fan. Go ahead Nathan, say it one time - it'll do ya' good. "GO VOLS"

trixie
Posts: 311
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by trixie » June 16th, 2011, 12:28 pm

Thanks, Nicole and Brenda! It was an honor (and fun!) to write for W&T!

And Watcher, I think you may be on to something...

ETA: You also know you spend too much time here when you start to imagine how cool it would be for a ForumFest where we all converge somewhere and meet IRL. Don't be alarmed if I ask for autographs...

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 12:39 pm

trixie wrote:Thanks, Nicole and Brenda! It was an honor (and fun!) to write for W&T!

And Watcher, I think you may be on to something...

ETA: You also know you spend too much time here when you start to imagine how cool it would be for a ForumFest where we all converge somewhere and meet IRL. Don't be alarmed if I ask for autographs...

Actually I think that would be kind of fun :-) BransforumFest. There are another people I'd like to toast to becuase their brains are so freaking amazing.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 2:52 pm

trixie wrote:You also know you spend too much time here when you start to imagine how cool it would be for a ForumFest where we all converge somewhere and meet IRL. Don't be alarmed if I ask for autographs...
Oh, that would be fun! I've so often wondered what it would be like if we were all in the same room trying to have one of these conversations...neato!! Though I do think that if our holiday parties at Nathan's virtual office are any indication we might need to take out some insurance on the place and have several cabs ready to drive the revelers home.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 4:04 pm

dios4vida wrote: Oh, that would be fun! I've so often wondered what it would be like if we were all in the same room trying to have one of these conversations...
I suspect someone would probably set something on fire? Probably Margo?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

trixie
Posts: 311
Joined: January 4th, 2011, 12:35 pm
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by trixie » June 16th, 2011, 4:35 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I suspect someone would probably set something on fire? Probably Margo?
In a hypothetical world where money is as easy to get as it is to spend, how would a small group of planner-types go about this? Start with location? Start with date(s)? Would there be a schedule of events, preferably including open poetry slams for Mira's condiments, the Polymath Hour, and of course, writing time?

I bet we could even sweet talk Nathan into making an appearance if we asked SUPER nice-like...

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 4:44 pm

trixie wrote:Would there be a schedule of events, preferably including open poetry slams for Mira's condiments, the Polymath Hour, and of course, writing time?
We should definitely set apart a night for WIP-swap - kinda like a great big critique session where we each bring a chapter-ish of our WIP and we pass them around. We each have five minutes to read what we can and comment on it (you know, write it all on the backs so that when you get your pages back they're full of critiques, impressions, comments, etc). Kinda like speed dating, only with writing.

That way, when we'd have to explain to our spouses/parents/others why we were traveling across the country to meet people we met on a writer's forum, we could say "but it's a WRITER'S CONFERENCE!!"
trixie wrote:I bet we could even sweet talk Nathan into making an appearance if we asked SUPER nice-like...
Oooooohh! I totally got excited about that. Everyone bring your copies of JACOB WONDERBAR!! And we could all gather around and get a great big picture of the Bransforumers with Nathan and our copies of JW. How fun would that be?!

Wow, this daydream sounds like sooooo much fun!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 4:52 pm

trixie wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:I suspect someone would probably set something on fire? Probably Margo?
In a hypothetical world where money is as easy to get as it is to spend, how would a small group of planner-types go about this? Start with location? Start with date(s)? Would there be a schedule of events, preferably including open poetry slams for Mira's condiments, the Polymath Hour, and of course, writing time?

I bet we could even sweet talk Nathan into making an appearance if we asked SUPER nice-like...
What I wouldn't give for condiment slam poetry :-)

I will be the one wearing lime green. We'll tweet the event in real time and everyone with a laptop can set up video skype for those who can't come and we'll call them our Talking Heads. It'll be very science fictiony.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 4:55 pm

I'm digging the thought of having the tacky little name tags: "Hi, my name is..." (where we'd obviously put our name) and below that would be "You may know me as..." (where we'd put our screenname). That way we'd be walking through the crowd with "Hi, my name is Brenda. You may know me as dios4vida" on our chests. Tee-hee.

Though that wouldn't be very exciting for Sommer or Mira or Margo or Robin. Hmm.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh
Moderator
Posts: 1624
Joined: April 2nd, 2010, 11:07 pm
Location: Omaha, NE
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 16th, 2011, 4:59 pm

dios4vida wrote:I'm digging the thought of having the tacky little name tags: "Hi, my name is..." (where we'd obviously put our name) and below that would be "You may know me as..." (where we'd put our screenname). That way we'd be walking through the crowd with "Hi, my name is Brenda. You may know me as dios4vida" on our chests. Tee-hee.

Though that wouldn't be very exciting for Sommer or Mira or Margo or Robin. Hmm.
Haha that would just make me sound sort of OCD.

"Hi, my name is Sommer Leigh.
You may know me as Sommer Leigh."
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

User avatar
dios4vida
Posts: 1119
Joined: February 22nd, 2010, 4:08 pm
Location: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: You know you spend too much time on the Bransforums when...

Post by dios4vida » June 16th, 2011, 5:02 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
dios4vida wrote:I'm digging the thought of having the tacky little name tags: "Hi, my name is..." (where we'd obviously put our name) and below that would be "You may know me as..." (where we'd put our screenname). That way we'd be walking through the crowd with "Hi, my name is Brenda. You may know me as dios4vida" on our chests. Tee-hee.

Though that wouldn't be very exciting for Sommer or Mira or Margo or Robin. Hmm.
Haha that would just make me sound sort of OCD.

"Hi, my name is Sommer Leigh.
You may know me as Sommer Leigh."
I'm getting a Monty Python image in my head. "There are those who call me...Tim." That could be you! "There are those who call me...Sommer Leigh." I'm sure we could find you some nice ram's horns to accent your lime green. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest