Favorite Wii Games?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Nathan Bransford

Favorite Wii Games?

Post by Nathan Bransford » January 8th, 2010, 6:55 pm

Before the holidays I went to a friend's Wii party, and between that and the release of Beatles Rock Band..... let's just say much of my relaxation time over the holidays involved a fake guitar and drum kit.

Evidence:

Clearly I have the worst drumming form ever.

Anyone else have the Wii? Any good games to recommend?

I'm a fan of:

Beatles Rock Band
the New Super Mario Bros game
Super Mario Galaxy
Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

What can I say, I like the classics!

Holly

Re: Favorite Wii Games?

Post by Holly » January 8th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote: Clearly I have the worst drumming form ever.
Nah, you got Ringo all over yer mug.

"I am the eggman
They are the eggmen
I am the walrus
Goo goo g joob..."

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » January 8th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I gave my kids guitar hero rock band (PS2 - yeah I know, it's out of date, but don't tell the kids). I spent more time 'testing' it out then setting it up. I was able to sort of get the hang of the guitar, but it seems I just don't have the coordination to be a drummer. Oh, and apparently I look hilarious when I bounce more than the drum sticks. All in good fun.

Remember Impossible Mission back in the days of Commodore 64? I think that might have been one of my old favourites. These days I go for games like Age of Empires.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

Zoe Robinson

Post by Zoe Robinson » January 8th, 2010, 7:52 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Anyone else have the Wii? Any good games to recommend?
If you can still find it anywhere (I think it was an early release game so it may not be around now), I'd recommend Endless Ocean. It's a Scuba diving game where the entire point seems to be to learn about fish by rubbing them with the Wii remote. It's better than it sounds; although to be fair, it couldn't be worse than that sounds.
BransfordGroupie wrote:Remember Impossible Mission back in the days of Commodore 64? I think that might have been one of my old favourites. These days I go for games like Age of Empires.
Did you ever manage to complete that game? I can't remember whether it was the C64 version or the Amstrad CPC version that had a bug in it which made collecting the final piece of the puzzle literally impossible. Suffice to say I wasn't good enough at the game to get far enough to find out for myself.

These days I play Medieval Total War, The Sims 2 and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri when I'm not giving myself RSI through drumming or playing faux guitar on the various Rock Guitar Band Hero games.

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » January 8th, 2010, 8:04 pm

Going with the classic and party themes- Mario Party 8. It's like an interactive board game. (Well, I'm sure you've heard of 'em).

I think Pikmin on the Gamecube is a classic, and they recently released it on the Wii. It's kind of adorable. Your woman may steal the controller away from you.

Metroid Prime 3 is pretty sweet, too. Controls are a little odd, but it feels right.

And that's all I got. My Wii has been gathering dust since I got the xbox 360. If you ever decide to go hardcore gamer, get one of them. Thems amazing.

Laurie Lamb

Post by Laurie Lamb » January 8th, 2010, 9:30 pm

Nathan,

I bought my children Rockband 2 for the Wii for Christmas. I also bought Lego Rockband because the songs were so fun on it and my children love all things Lego. It sounds like you would like their favourite Wii game of all time. It's Super Smash Bros. Brawl. They also love Toy Story Mania! and NHL2K10. I love the Wii Fit although it freaks me out how much the Mii characters resemble the people they're fashioned after. I find the balance games great fun but maybe I'm just easily entertained.

mulligan girl

Post by mulligan girl » January 8th, 2010, 10:43 pm

Wii Sports Resort is a lot of fun - the competition archery and frisbe golf are my favs.

Tzalaran

Post by Tzalaran » January 9th, 2010, 10:55 am

We got our sons a Wii for christmas. Super Mario Bros Wii is a terrific game, all 4 of us have played it extensively.

The other games that get a lot of play in our house: We love golf, FIFA 2009, and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Raymon Raving Rabbids is also an absolute blast (mostly just to watch people play. The controls make my wife do some hilarious things while playing).

We've also been playing alot of the old game cube games my sons have, and picked up the first zelda game off the Wii shop channel. we'll get the sequels as we beat the older games.
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

Cheryl

Post by Cheryl » January 9th, 2010, 3:15 pm

Wii Sports Resort and Rock Band are favorites in our house, although over the break we found the Wii Fit Plus to be extra entertaining. There's something highly amusing about adults having a few adult beverages and then hopping on the board only to skateboard a half pipe, flap their arms like a chicken (or whatever bird it's supposed to be) or swing an invisible hula hoop. Although I doubt this is what the developers were thinking of when they created a "Fit" game, it can provide endless hours of laughter and YouTube worthy blackmail material IMO.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » January 9th, 2010, 6:34 pm

We have the Rock Band for Wii, too. Definitely great fun at parties! Also popular at my house:
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games
For Christmas, we also bought Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games, but haven't tried that one yet.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

matildamcc

Post by matildamcc » January 12th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

kristi

Post by kristi » January 13th, 2010, 8:50 am

The Mario & Sonic Olympic Winter Games are really fun. They have ice hockey, ski jumping, etc. However, it was depressing to have my hubby beat me in figure skating. He also beat me in tennis, bowling, baseball, and golf though so maybe I just suck. :)

Jaime

Post by Jaime » January 14th, 2010, 7:00 am

kristi wrote:The Mario & Sonic Olympic Winter Games are really fun. They have ice hockey, ski jumping, etc. However, it was depressing to have my hubby beat me in figure skating. He also beat me in tennis, bowling, baseball, and golf though so maybe I just suck. :)

*inhales quickly* . . . . they have FIGURE SKATING??? Wowsers! Although, I think my actual figure skates would get jealous . . .

I'm a Halo3 gal myself. Yes, my hubby and I are total geeks. We get together every Friday night with our friends (12 of us in total), and we each have our own monitors and XBox 360's, and we all yell at each other from every room in the house, and . . .

I should probably stop talking now.

On the Wii, bowling would have to be my favourite. How the hell are you supposed to hit that baseball????

Melissa

Post by Melissa » January 14th, 2010, 10:44 pm

I wish I could give some good recommendations but I am still trying to get good enough on the Wii Sports games to avoid my little avatar looking so depressed when I mess up. It is really sad when I am so bad at the Wii golf game that it tells me "give up".

Really, I have witnesses...

Builds character, right? ;)

Rick Daley

Post by Rick Daley » January 18th, 2010, 2:39 pm

I like the Wii Sports that comes with the system. I'm pretty good at bowling. My wife can KO the entire household in boxing, and my older son (8) is the tennis champ.

We've had Guitar Hero III for a while, and both my sons play that. Watching the 5-year old hold the guitar over his head when he finishes a song is cool!

Santa brought the family Band Hero for Christmas, and we've spent many hours with all four of us jamming together. I need to give the Beatles game a try!