Bacon + Chocolate???

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Margo

Bacon + Chocolate???

Post by Margo » March 20th, 2011, 6:25 pm

A friend just mentioned to me that she bought a dark chocolate bar made with bacon bits inside it. I think it took me about a minute of 'whaaa?' noises to ask her to repeat this strange statement.

And apparently there is some company making chocolate-covered bacon.

So is this a foodie thing? I'm not a foodie (maybe someday). I'm thinking this must be a foodie thing.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Moni12

Re: Bacon + Chocolate???

Post by Moni12 » March 20th, 2011, 8:08 pm

A friend of mine is obsessed with the idea of chocolate covered bacon, chocolate covered mashed potatoes...It's a little weird. Lately, though I've tried beef sticks in peanut butter. It's really good. It's amazing what might sound gross actually goes together.

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » March 20th, 2011, 9:38 pm

I think bacon favored everything is the new "thing." Here's a link for bacon/chocolate cupcakes.
http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/dark-choc ... etail.aspx

Here's another for bacon jam.
http://www.notquitenigella.com/2009/10/ ... come-true/

And even one for bacon icecream.
http://www.foodbuzz.com/recipes/411554-bacon-ice-cream

All my friends have been raving about bacon flavored doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. Do you know the company? They are pretty big in the west. I don't know, guess I'm game to give bacon a try.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Netti

Post by Netti » March 20th, 2011, 9:50 pm

On an episode of Cupcake Wars someone made a bacon and maple cupcake. The theme was breakfast food.
"It's kind of shocking to hear Toby called a babe; sort of like calling God a studmuffin."
- Margaret Atwood, Year of the Flood

http://myscientificattempt.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » March 21st, 2011, 1:41 am

Beethovenfan wrote:All my friends have been raving about bacon flavored doughnuts from Krispy Kreme. Do you know the company? They are pretty big in the west. I don't know, guess I'm game to give bacon a try.
LOL, yeah, I remember them. They opened up here about 10 years ago. It was a really strange event. People lined up in their cars several hours before the drive-thru opened for their opening day. Something about people who were familiar with the brand from other cities going nuts over it. I recall something about it being open 24 hours a day or something close to that, because the helicopter crew for a local law enforcement agency (I think it was metro PD) got in trouble for landing the copter in the parking lot and doing a donut run in the wee hours of the night. Then, within just three or four years, the place when belly-up. Fickle public. No bacon donuts for me, I guess. :)
Netti wrote:On an episode of Cupcake Wars someone made a bacon and maple cupcake. The theme was breakfast food.
That I can kind of understand. As much as I hate my food to touch -- I'm reminded of the dialogue from the movie Toys -- it's just bound to happen, the pancake syrup edges across the plate when no one is looking and oozes around the breakfast meat. And then, what are we going to do? Not eat the bacon because it has some maple syrup on it? Can't do that; it's bacon! :)
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » March 21st, 2011, 10:54 am

When I was little (four or five) my mom used to make breakfast of bacon, eggs, biscuits, and Hershey's cocoa syrup from scratch (with the powder in a can). We would dip our bacon and eggs in it.

It was delicious. Bacon + chocolate is win. :d
Margo wrote:As much as I hate my food to touch -- I'm reminded of the dialogue from the movie Toys --
"I'm a military man, I want a military meal" I think it was? XD I love that movie. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo

Post by Margo » March 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:"I'm a military man, I want a military meal" I think it was? XD I love that movie. XD
That's it! And something about mashed potato barricades. I searched all over the 'Net for the quote and couldn't find it, probably because I could think of enough of the actual quote. Now I bet I will be able to find it. Thanks!

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » March 21st, 2011, 2:03 pm

Margo wrote:
sierramcconnell wrote:"I'm a military man, I want a military meal" I think it was? XD I love that movie. XD
That's it! And something about mashed potato barricades. I searched all over the 'Net for the quote and couldn't find it, probably because I could think of enough of the actual quote. Now I bet I will be able to find it. Thanks!
I can't even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I'm a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn't invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I'm a military man, you understand that? And don't let your food touch either, please?

Not sure about the last line on that but that's what I found. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

Margo

Post by Margo » March 22nd, 2011, 8:07 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:I can't even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I'm a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn't invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I'm a military man, you understand that? And don't let your food touch either, please?

OMG, I can even hear the actor's voice. Fabulous rant and obviously pretty memorable. LOL.

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » March 25th, 2011, 1:40 am

sierramcconnell wrote: I can't even eat. The food keeps touching. I like military plates, I'm a military man, I want a military meal. I want my string beans to be quarantined! I like a little fortress around my mashed potatoes so the meatloaf doesn't invade my mashed potatoes and cause mixing in my plate! I HATE IT when food touches! I'm a military man, you understand that? And don't let your food touch either, please?

Wow, I didn't think anybody else remembered that movie.

Anyway, I don't know about homemade chocolate-covered bacon, but around here, World Market sells some gourmet bars of chocolate with bacon in them, right next to the ones with sea-salt and the ones with habeneros. I'm sure they're all delicious, but they're ridiculously expensive--three dollars or more, I can't remember--and they've got the Lion bars right there...those are awesome. (That might sounds strange to people in Britain, where Lion bars come from, but in the US we have to get them from special import shops, and World Market is the only place I've found where they're not stale.)
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Margo

Post by Margo » March 25th, 2011, 10:58 am

JohnDurvin wrote:Anyway, I don't know about homemade chocolate-covered bacon, but around here, World Market sells some gourmet bars of chocolate with bacon in them, right next to the ones with sea-salt and the ones with habeneros.
That's where my friend found the one that started the thread. The sea-salt one sounds interesting. Not sure I'm curious enough to suffer the effects of eating chocolate, though.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » March 25th, 2011, 11:20 am

Margo wrote:
JohnDurvin wrote:Anyway, I don't know about homemade chocolate-covered bacon, but around here, World Market sells some gourmet bars of chocolate with bacon in them, right next to the ones with sea-salt and the ones with habeneros.
That's where my friend found the one that started the thread. The sea-salt one sounds interesting. Not sure I'm curious enough to suffer the effects of eating chocolate, though.
I had a girlfriend once who thought I might like that since I put salt on pretty much anything.

It was disgusting. And I put salt on Doritos!
I'm on Tumblr!

Cookie

Post by Cookie » March 25th, 2011, 1:10 pm

JohnDurvin wrote: Anyway, I don't know about homemade chocolate-covered bacon, but around here, World Market sells some gourmet bars of chocolate with bacon in them, right next to the ones with sea-salt and the ones with habeneros. I'm sure they're all delicious, but they're ridiculously expensive--three dollars or more, I can't remember--and they've got the Lion bars right there...those are awesome. (That might sounds strange to people in Britain, where Lion bars come from, but in the US we have to get them from special import shops, and World Market is the only place I've found where they're not stale.)

I've seen those but was always afraid to try them.
My boss's daughter has bacon mints. She made me try them and they were disgusting. They tasted like smoke.

Margo

Post by Margo » March 25th, 2011, 4:56 pm

Okay, I'm going to World Market to find the sea-salt chocolate. Too curious.