Page 1 of 1

Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 14th, 2011, 6:10 pm
by bcomet
Okay, so as I am waiting for my sweetie to come home tonight, knowing he will be equipped with red wine and champagne for a romantic dinner...

I love romance, don't you all? It is the best diversion for procrastination and food for much inspiration.

So how are other writers romancing this and/or other lovey days?

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 14th, 2011, 6:14 pm
by Sommer Leigh
We had a very romantic stay today in the ER. It has been a very long day, but we're home now. My husband is kinda really sick :-( We have to go into his doctor on friday for some followup lab work, but for the moment he's ok. But we've both been up since about 3:30am and we're both dog tired. No romance tonight I'm afraid.

But I do agree, I like romance. I'm kind of a sap for it. My whole tough girl persona is totally killed by a good love scene.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 14th, 2011, 6:20 pm
by bcomet
Sommer Leigh wrote:We had a very romantic stay today in the ER. It has been a very long day, but we're home now. My husband is kinda really sick :-( We have to go into his doctor on friday for some followup lab work, but for the moment he's ok. But we've both been up since about 3:30am and we're both dog tired. No romance tonight I'm afraid.
Oh no, Sommer! Not fair! Not fair at all. I hope your husband is better soon.
Sommer Leigh wrote:But I do agree, I like romance. I'm kind of a sap for it. My whole tough girl persona is totally killed by a good love scene.
Loved this line!:
"My whole tough girl persona is totally killed by a good love scene."
So, you get to have your own alternate Valentine's Day. Hopefully soon.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 14th, 2011, 6:47 pm
by Sommer Leigh
bcomet wrote:
So, you get to have your own alternate Valentine's Day. Hopefully soon.
We sort of had one last night with a couple we are friends with. We went to our favorite Vietnamese restaurant that was having this special v-day dinner. It was a 4 course meal with foods not usually served at the restaurant. They gave us roses in beautiful blue vases and the owner kept coming over and giving us free champagne. We enjoyed this great rice soup, vegetarian spring rolls, a Vietnamese salad with plum dressing, a Vietnamese pastry with this sort of pork filling, my husband and I shared roast duck with asparagus, green beans and dumplings. The whole thing was finished up with a DELICIOUS flan and lots of jasmine hot tea. It was a beautiful night and wonderful food.

He didn't start experiencing pain until about 11pm and it didn't get real bad until 4am so we got to really enjoy the dinner.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 14th, 2011, 7:09 pm
by bcomet
Wow, that dinner sounds fabulous. You forum writers make me hungry! Your descriptions are too good and then there's also the photos CheekyChock puts up. Goodness!

So glad to hear you got to enjoy yourself.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 15th, 2011, 9:16 pm
by Robin
bcomet wrote:Wow, that dinner sounds fabulous. You forum writers make me hungry! Your descriptions are too good and then there's also the photos CheekyChock puts up. Goodness!
I was just thinking the same thing! Thank God I can't gain weight over the Internet. I have enough problems fighting off all of these girls scout cookies. (I'm fully convinced Thin Mints are pure evil in chocolate coating)

Sorry to hear about your hubby Sommer, hope he has a speedy recovery.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 16th, 2011, 11:12 am
by dios4vida
Robin wrote:
bcomet wrote:(I'm fully convinced Thin Mints are pure evil in chocolate coating)

Sorry to hear about your hubby Sommer, hope he has a speedy recovery.
I fully agree with both of these comments, Robin.

My husband and I don't actually celebrate Valentine's Day. I totally lucked out and married a hopeless romantic, so I get Valentine's Day all year long. It's really not uncommon for him to come home with something small for me. (Though he did buy me a rose on Sunday at the grocery store because he knows I love the peachy-pinky ones. Then he went and played racquetball with a friend after work on Monday, but I didn't mind.)

A bit off-topic: A good friend of ours has a theory called "The Wife Repair Kit." He believes that every man needs to know the one small thing that he can bring home on a bad day that will "fix" her and make her feel better. Mine is cake. I love me some cake (it's amazing that I don't weigh 300 pounds, really. Thank God for a high metabolism!). My sister's is flowers. My Mom's is Mexican food. What's yours?

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 17th, 2011, 3:31 pm
by sierramcconnell
Spent my entire V-day making balloon-cookie-o-grams and helping sell them at work for Big Brothers Big Sisters. (We made a lot of money.)

The only thing I got for V-day was a latex allergy, a blood test, and a new prescription.

Congradulations, I have a spastic colon, iron deficient anemia, and no one knows why.

I don't believe in love. It was invented to make sure people got married, procreated, and the human race continued. It's ridiculous, but apparently it sells a lot of books.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 17th, 2011, 4:56 pm
by Cookie
Robin wrote:I'm fully convinced Thin Mints are pure evil in chocolate coating
I just got my 3 boxes of Thin Mints yesterday and already ate a sleeve by the time I got home. They are so delicious. And. I. Just. Can't. Stop. Eating. Them.
So, yea you are probably right. They are evil. Evil and delicious.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 17th, 2011, 5:31 pm
by Robin
Cookie wrote:
Robin wrote:I'm fully convinced Thin Mints are pure evil in chocolate coating
I just got my 3 boxes of Thin Mints yesterday and already ate a sleeve by the time I got home. They are so delicious. And. I. Just. Can't. Stop. Eating. Them.
So, yea you are probably right. They are evil. Evil and delicious.

We should sue the Girl Scouts for false advertising. There is NOTHING thin about those damn cookies. Two boxes down since Tuesday :( Not proud, but I did get a huge word count while munching on them.

I gave up and took the rest of the boxes to my kids' school. Made me look considerate ;)

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 18th, 2011, 9:56 am
by Cookie
Robin wrote:We should sue the Girl Scouts for false advertising. There is NOTHING thin about those damn cookies. Two boxes down since Tuesday :( Not proud, but I did get a huge word count while munching on them.

I gave up and took the rest of the boxes to my kids' school. Made me look considerate ;)
Sure they are...they are thinly disguised evil. Lol.
I'm too selfish to give mine away. Plus, I don't have any children to pawn them off onto and all my co-workers have their own Girl Scout cookies since my boss's daughter is one.

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 18th, 2011, 3:01 pm
by Collectonian
Our Valentine's Day this year was fairly low key. I am still recovering from a few weeks fighting bronchitis, and my boyfriend is in the middle of producing a show for the community theater so he'd had a physically exhausting week. We also both had work. Still, it was a great evening and we enjoyed it. He gave me a single red rose, some chocolate, and BOTH Painted Ponies Paint-Your-Own Pony sets! (as a Painted Ponies fan who has been wanting them, trust me I squee'd!). I gave him a dozen chocolate covered strawberries from Edible Arrangements (we enjoyed some for dessert) and a really cute, cuddly stuffed dog that said "Kiss Me".

I'd purchased an inexpensive black casual dress to wear for dinner with some gray fuzzy boots I bought because I loved them then realized I had nothing to wear with them. Then we ended up doing take out instead of eating out because we were both kinda tired LOL. He liked the dress and I loved wearing it which were the important parts. :-) We ate at my place while listening to his favorite pieces from the Merrily We Roll Along musical soundtrack he'd gotten earlier in the week followed by watching some episodes of the anime series we're currently watching (Cardcaptor Sakura).

Re: Valentine's Day and Other Romantic Moments in a Writing Life

Posted: February 5th, 2019, 7:07 am
by Rajedf
Valentine's day is that day of the year when people can truly and openly express their love for someone. That feeling can't be put to words, it's the actions that define how much one can love another. You can choose to share valentine's day sayings or quotes with them, send them romantic poems, exchange gifts, make them blush.