What is your least favorite thing about this time of year?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Watcher55

What is your least favorite thing about this time of year?

Post by Watcher55 » January 6th, 2011, 9:26 am

Sorry Charlotte, but I had to (ok "had to" isn't right - I wanted to) hijack your topic - but, hey, It's January.

deep freeze nights followed by just above freezing days.
snow that melts and turns to slush before noon.
deep freeze nights followed by mild days.
rain
deep freeze nights followed by warm days
clouds
deep freeze nights followed by deep freeze days
not being able to use the deck (my real perch)
deep freeze nights followed by yo-yo temp days

Welcome to Tennessee; if you don't like the weather, stick around a minute. It'll change.

(Do I need to mention that I live for temps above 95?)

Cookie

Re: What is your least favorite thing about this time of year?

Post by Cookie » January 6th, 2011, 9:52 am

I hate that I look forward to days when the temperature deigns to rise to 30 degrees.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 6th, 2011, 11:48 am

Socks.

I hate that I have to wear socks during this time of the year. Oh how I love just slipping into a pair of shoes! Looking for two same (or similar, I'm not picky) colored socks of the same (or similar) look while I'm bleary eyed in the morning is one of the most anxious moments of my day. I hate it.

I actually love cold nights and cold sheets because I love the sensation of warming up and the way your feet warm up when you rub them together.

I hate that, because of the direction my house faces, the sun never hits the driveway and porch close to the house so long after everyone else has their snow and ice melted we still look like snowapalooza.

And stupid drivers. I live right in the very middle of the midwest. I most atlases my city disappears into the crease. And here in the midwest, everyone drives really big trucks and off road vehicles and they think they are immune to the casualties of ice, snow and wind so they drive without caution.

OH and I also hate that it is too cold to have after restaurant conversations on the sidewalk outside the door because you're just not ready to part yet.

Have I mentioned yet how I plan to move to the Northwest in the next five years to get away from this weather?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » January 6th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Have I mentioned yet how I plan to move to the Northwest in the next five years to get away from this weather?
Look me up when you move to Seattle! I'll take you out to dinner, and then we'll all stand around afterwards talking! Or maybe you'd prefer Starbucks? Looking forward to it!

Evelyn

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 6th, 2011, 12:23 pm

Evelyn wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:Have I mentioned yet how I plan to move to the Northwest in the next five years to get away from this weather?
Look me up when you move to Seattle! I'll take you out to dinner, and then we'll all stand around afterwards talking! Or maybe you'd prefer Starbucks? Looking forward to it!

Evelyn
That sounds awesome! I look forward to standing around outside with you talking :-)

We're actually look at the Seattle area. We're waiting a couple of years so we can finish improvements on our house and sell it, but also so my husband gets a few more years of experience as a teacher before he looks for a job out there. He really likes what he's heard of the school systems out there too.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » January 6th, 2011, 12:46 pm

:D

Hey, you played fair and started a new thread. lol

Actually, after Christmas passes, I'm not a fan of winter unless I'm cozied up in front of a fire in the mountains. I do love snow and being in Georgia, any time we get some is a treat, but I hate plain old cold, miserable days. Blah.

I'm also a holiday girl, so after my October - December high, I get into a funk. I pull out if it about April. :D

Cookie

Post by Cookie » January 6th, 2011, 1:00 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:I'm also a holiday girl, so after my October - December high, I get into a funk. I pull out if it about April. :D
I'm the same way. After New Years, I see no need for winter.

But of course, I get most of my book reading done this time of year :)

Margo

Post by Margo » January 6th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Watcher55 wrote:(Do I need to mention that I live for temps above 95?)
You'd like California's San Joaquin Valley, then. Between late June and late September we rarely have a day under 100, with nights in the 80s. One July a few years ago, we had something like three straight weeks at 105-112 and three more weeks hovering in the 103-108 range. I h.a.t.e. it.

I'd suggest a house swap, but I don't want your freezing temps, either. Something west coast-ish might be nice. Cambria is a nice little place. Not the most exciting for socializing, but might be a good place to get some writing done. Hmmm... I wonder if I can find a dog-friendly hotel in the area...
That's getting weird again, sis. I was looking at Seattle, now that I have less holding me in my dreary, overly conservative hometown. It probably won't happen, though. I've got friends pushing for Portland, for the East Coast, for the UK (which I love), and for New Zealand, and I think Ottawa looks awwwfully nice. I'll probably stay in the US, though, as my dearest friend is here and can't immigrate (for health reasons). I'm not one to give up the companionship of treasured friends just for adventure. I'd have to have other enticements.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » January 6th, 2011, 1:47 pm

Margo wrote:
That's getting weird again, sis. I was looking at Seattle, now that I have less holding me in my dreary, overly conservative hometown. It probably won't happen, though. I've got friends pushing for Portland, for the East Coast, for the UK (which I love), and for New Zealand, and I think Ottawa looks awwwfully nice. I'll probably stay in the US, though, as my dearest friend is here and can't immigrate (for health reasons). I'm not one to give up the companionship of treasured friends just for adventure. I'd have to have other enticements.
Haha, um, great minds REALLY think alike?

Portland isn't far from Seattle!

I've lived in Boston, it is very nice and I loved the East Coast but it was crazy expensive.

I like both the UK and New Zealand as options too, but yeah it would not be as wonderful to leave behind treasured friends. I would love to live in Ireland too. My husband and I both considered trying to immigrate there a couple of years ago where he would pursue teaching.

Instead of moving out of the country, we could just go have temporary adventures there, right?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » January 6th, 2011, 3:09 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:I've lived in Boston, it is very nice and I loved the East Coast but it was crazy expensive.
It is despairingly expensive. It is not so bad in western Mass, but I still cry the first of every month. It is really pretty up here though!

aduson

Post by aduson » January 6th, 2011, 3:35 pm

I hate that my hands dry out and age about 100 years. I detest using lotion. I consider it a good day if o can at least keep my knuckles from bleeding.
You have to grow up before you can grow old. - Allie

Cookie

Post by Cookie » January 6th, 2011, 3:44 pm

aduson wrote:I hate that my hands dry out and age about 100 years. I detest using lotion. I consider it a good day if o can at least keep my knuckles from bleeding.

I hate that too! Is it so much to ask to have my hands as smooth as a baby's bottom?

Margo

Post by Margo » January 6th, 2011, 4:10 pm

aduson wrote:I hate that my hands dry out and age about 100 years. I detest using lotion. I consider it a good day if o can at least keep my knuckles from bleeding.
OH! Have you tried Aveeno Baby Soothing Relief Moisture Cream? It's not slick and slimy like lotion is, fragrance free, and is even suitable for dry skin from eczema. My skin drinks it in after just a few seconds, and it doesn't irritate rosacea (mine, at least). My skin got dried out so bad last winter I ended up with an infection, so my doctor introduced me to the Aveeno Baby line. I use the unscented lotion instead of soap or shower gel, the cream in place of lotion, and the SPF 55 sunblock.

I'm an absolute zealot about the stuff. I could probably go home and find tubes of the cream in 3 or 4 rooms of my house, in addition to the one in my purse.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

aduson

Post by aduson » January 6th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Thanks for the tip Margo. I'll give it a shot.
You have to grow up before you can grow old. - Allie