What's Your Ultimate Writing Dream?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
saraflower

Re: What's Your Ultimate Writing Dream?

Post by saraflower » December 10th, 2010, 3:30 pm

My dream is to be successful enough that all I have to do is write to make a good living. To travel the world and spend months writing in my favourite places. I also hope that my books will eventually be made into movies. That would be pretty sick. Most of all, I hope that people are touched by my books. If I can help even one person out there, I would be happy.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » December 10th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Most of the above, and more! The deep-voiced movie trailer guys who promise something beyond my wildest dreams have no idea just how wild my dreams can get.

Charlotte49ers, PEEING when you want to? One word. UROLOGY! Oh, wait...

Aduson, you left out rearranging the sock drawer, a vital time-waster for any writer.

Sommer, a very impressive dream! Very different from mine, but very impressive. And not too much to ask by any means.

Publication, bestsellerdom, movies, fame, fortune, all part of my dream, but mainly I dream of telling all or most of the stories I have already outlined, and more besides.

Louise Curtis

Post by Louise Curtis » December 10th, 2010, 5:37 pm

Quill wrote:Wow, this is interesting, how most of us so far are emphasizing our ideal writing lifestyle over fame. I'm sure none of us would turn down money and recognition and having our books in store windows, but yeah.
Fame and the ability to choose our writing lifestyle go together. If no-one knows my name, no-one will buy my book and I'll be keeping that day job. Luckily, authors tend to be recognised by name rather than face, so I can almsot certainly keep wearing my pajamas to the shops. :)

I'd like to sell a book a year, and sell enough copies that the publisher is happy and wants to keep buying.

(Of course, if I got there, I'd perpetually want to sell more copies. That's life, though.)
Louise Curtis
Twitter Tales @Louise_Curtis_
Writing Tips, Steampunk, Baby Talk, and Daily Awesomeness http://twittertales.wordpress.com

Quill

Post by Quill » December 10th, 2010, 10:40 pm

Agree, Louise. I'd like to have five or six books in print -- and all perennially higher than # 200,000 on Amazon's bestseller list! -- so as to be kept in the style I'm accustomed to on my northern farm with the chicken flock and the firewood splitting, and the writing looking out at the snow while smoking my pipe.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » December 11th, 2010, 5:24 am

I want people to know and love my characters like I do. I want there to be forums about their relationship and who would play them if it was made into a movie. And I would love to have the say on who does play them in a movie, because I'm completely set on Jesse Spencer and Isla Fisher. That's who I have based their looks on, and anyone else probably wouldn't do for me!

I always wonder how authors feel, because they have no say when their books are turned into movies. I guess, then, that my ultimate dream would be the above, and to earn enough money to become the producer of the movie, and therefore cast these two actors :)

I'd also love to be standing in a shop and overhear two people talking about my book and how they can't wait for the sequel, not knowing that the author was standing right next to them (with said sequel complete at home). I'd smile to myself and continue on with my business :)

Down the well

Post by Down the well » December 11th, 2010, 9:50 am

Honestly, at this point, I'd just like to write something that doesn't fizzle. I want to write something that endures. And, yeah, it would be awesome to spot someone holding my book one day and see them totally drawn in. Ah, dreams...

alienbogey

Post by alienbogey » December 15th, 2010, 5:39 pm

I'd simply like to be a mid-list author who can afford to retire early and write because he enjoys writing.

Now, I'm not saying I'd turn down the Clancy or Grisham or Rowling fame & fortune, or that I'd not enjoy watching my book being made into a movie, but I'd just like to be published and have the book do well enough that the publisher would ask for more.

Cheers.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 15th, 2010, 6:43 pm

Jaime wrote:
I'd also love to be standing in a shop and overhear two people talking about my book and how they can't wait for the sequel, not knowing that the author was standing right next to them (with said sequel complete at home). I'd smile to myself and continue on with my business :)
This! This is a good dream.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 15th, 2010, 11:57 pm

A 1965 Impala convertible.

(and to figure out how many posts make the icon scroll (this is #23).

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 15th, 2010, 11:57 pm

24 maybe?

Yep, 24.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 16th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Eh, mine's similar to many on here. I just want to make enough off my books that I can live off the profit, and seeing readers (in person) being drawn in and craving a sequel would be pretty awesome too. Stardom and whatnot...that'd be cool, but I could live without it.

But mostly, I just want a video game made of my WIP. You have no idea how much fun I would have with that. That would be a hilariously fun game (I like blowing things up, sorry). :D
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 16th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Fenris wrote:But mostly, I just want a video game made of my WIP. You have no idea how much fun I would have with that. That would be a hilariously fun game (I like blowing things up, sorry). :D
Very cool, but I had to laugh.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 17th, 2010, 3:24 pm

Jaime wrote:I'd also love to be standing in a shop and overhear two people talking about my book and how they can't wait for the sequel, not knowing that the author was standing right next to them (with said sequel complete at home). I'd smile to myself and continue on with my business :)
Absolutely!! I've always wanted to be cruising the shelves at my favorite local bookstore (where impromto discussions about books are very common) and to have someone ask me about my book, or to have someone recommend my book to someone. Or recommend it to me!

Another along the same line is to find someone who's very excited about finding my new book and casually striking up a conversation...then signing their new copy when they find out I'm the author. :)

I've also always wanted to meet some of my favorite authors and be able to introduce myself as a fellow author. If they would recognize my name or have read my book I would go into total teenage-fangirl-SQUEE mode.

To round out my dreams, I would have the passion and energy to write continually, to write stories and characters that become peoples' best friends, and to have a never-ending fountain of inspiration so I would never run out of books to write.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 17th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Jaime wrote:I'd also love to be standing in a shop and overhear two people talking about my book and how they can't wait for the sequel, not knowing that the author was standing right next to them (with said sequel complete at home). I'd smile to myself and continue on with my business :)
I always imagined it happening in an airport before a long flight and the person is reading my latest. New conversation, new friends, new material.

Quill

Post by Quill » December 17th, 2010, 11:48 pm

Okay I'll tell you an ultimate writing dream of mine. I would love to see my WIP as a major motion picture. Even an independent film or straight-to-video or TV movie would be way cool. I think my story would make a good one.