What's Your Ultimate Writing Dream?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Jessica Peter

What's Your Ultimate Writing Dream?

Post by Jessica Peter » December 9th, 2010, 11:25 pm

I dream of one day seeing my book in airports or grocery stores.

What's your ultimate writing dream, however far-fetched?
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

Watcher55

Re: What's Your Ultimate Writing Dream?

Post by Watcher55 » December 9th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Pencil, paper and sidewalk cafes in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.

Quill

Post by Quill » December 10th, 2010, 12:51 am

To write on a Northern farmstead of my own, with apple trees and birch trees and an amazing vegetable garden.

Holly

Post by Holly » December 10th, 2010, 6:31 am

Instead of rushing to the office, I'd love to sit at home in my sweatpants with my laptop, coffee, and my dog on the couch beside me.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » December 10th, 2010, 8:03 am

In all honesty, I will feel like such a success if I could finish a novel, edited it to my satisfaction, and any one like it. lol

But what I'd LOVE to happen is have my titles be household names. How cool would that be? I don't need fame and recognition on a personal level, but it would be awesome to leave a piece of me behind when I'm gone.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » December 10th, 2010, 8:04 am

Holly wrote:Instead of rushing to the office, I'd love to sit at home in my sweatpants with my laptop, coffee, and my dog on the couch beside me.
And oh my gosh, this. To write full time is almost unimaginable to me right now. I love being a teacher, but being able to set my own schedule and PEE when I want to? Can't even fathom it. :D

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 10th, 2010, 8:49 am

To make enough to sell my house and move to the Seattle area near the water. Although I'd bargain down to just about any city on the water. And then write all the time.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Quill

Post by Quill » December 10th, 2010, 9:32 am

Wow, this is interesting, how most of us so far are emphasizing our ideal writing lifestyle over fame. I'm sure none of us would turn down money and recognition and having our books in store windows, but yeah.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » December 10th, 2010, 9:41 am

Watching as my trilogy is becoming a very successful franchise and as it's creating a new trend between the fantasies. That would be enough to me at the moment. Oh, and I would buy a beautiful old Victorian house somewhere in England. :)

aduson

Post by aduson » December 10th, 2010, 11:33 am

Winning the lottery so I can write where I please and when I please and let go of the fear that all I'm doing really is wasting time & energy that should be spent on laundry, dishes, vacuuming, raking leaves, weeding, skimming leaves out of the pond, balancing the checkbook, washing the dog - you get the idea - because I'm never gonna finish the darn thing.

Whew!

<3 Allie
You have to grow up before you can grow old. - Allie

Margo

Post by Margo » December 10th, 2010, 11:36 am

To have my themes infiltrate the current paradigm of the collective human experience. The holographic universe at work.

Yeah, I always gotta be different, I guess. :)
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 10th, 2010, 12:26 pm

Ok, this isn't exactly the ULTIMATE part of my dream, but it is definitely part of my lifestyle dream, though it is kind of silly. I can't wait to make buttons, bookmarks, magnets, and patches out of the title and cover of my book. I want a patch from the cover on my messanger bag and I want to hand buttons to people I know. You have no idea how desperately I want to do these things. I was a zine kid in the early 2000's. My life revolved around homemade buttons, patches, bags, and laptop appliques. This is the natural next step.

I can't wait for the merchandise but only if I get to make it, cross-legged on my living room floor with my craft supplies spread out in a semi-circle while I rewatch episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Preferablly in Seattle.

What's funny is that in my ultimate dream I don't want to just write. I want to work for the public school system. Part of that is because my husband is a high school English teacher and even though I am not a teacher I spend 80% of my time at home with him talking about education. I want to write and I want to go back to school to get my teaching certification and I want to develop reading programs and after school writing workshops. And if I can't do it in the public school system I want to do it in the library system. I want to help match kids up with books that speak specifically to them and teach them that there are far more books in the world than the handful of classics their teachers tell them they are supposed to like. I want to facilitate discussions on complex themes and topics that are meaningful to the students and not necessarily to the lesson plan. I want to create spaces where kids who think they might like to write but don't know how to write creatively can come and learn from each other, from books, and communities of other writers.

And while I do this I want to write spellbeinding YA novels. Certainly none of this is too much to ask for, right? :-)
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » December 10th, 2010, 12:38 pm

I'd really just like to make enough out of my writing to live from it. That? That would be awesome.

Now if I was to push it... I'd want my books to get known, not for the fame, but just enough that they are translated back to French, for my parents, who'd read them in English but struggle to get through.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Jessica Peter

Post by Jessica Peter » December 10th, 2010, 1:32 pm

Watcher55 wrote:Pencil, paper and sidewalk cafes in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.
Oh, I'd second this one too. Except I'd change paper and pencil for a netbook. And add in "anywhere in the world". :)
http://jessdoesstuff.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/JessicaPeter1
Currently querying HUNT, YA Urban Fantasy & writing a post-apocalyptic romance

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 10th, 2010, 1:49 pm

Jessica Peter wrote:
Watcher55 wrote:Pencil, paper and sidewalk cafes in Italy, Greece, Turkey, Israel and Egypt.
Oh, I'd second this one too. Except I'd change paper and pencil for a netbook. And add in "anywhere in the world". :)
I spent a day in Naples and nearly missed the whole thing because I found a spot near the statue of Augustus with a perfect view of Vesuvius. Nothing else like it.