FLY or NOT FLY ???

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
bcomet

FLY or NOT FLY ???

Post by bcomet » November 15th, 2010, 1:39 pm

The conversation in the news today is about airports, with security vs. personal (as in "don't touch my junk") rights,

about security, like in paleeeze do NOT blow up my plane, insane terrorist
vs.
insane okay, maybe not, but too often: overzealous, insensitive, invasive, rude, unsanitary, police-like pat-downs and loss of dignity, privacy, civility in airline travel.

For me, there are three points to my emotional/logical conclusion:

1. I myself am afraid of flying. Hate it. Turbulence = not my friend.
(Okay, truth: it's not flying I'm afraid of, I'm afraid of FALLING, especially falling hard from great heights, inside a can of explosive jet fuel and no personal escape pod or wingy devise))

2. Worrying about someone with a bomb on board doesn't help my fear-factor.

3. Getting felt up in my privates or having to pass through a stranger-in-uniform-with-the-right-to-touch-me-anywhere
and that good ol' touchy-feeling of feeling violated makes me feel like I'm living in a police state as well as abused = takes all the fun out of everyday, hope there isn't any weather or wind or clouds or turbulence or anything else that will make that scary plane shake fear-of-flying

So, unless absolutely necessary, until there is some sort of a civilized, polite, dignified AND safe solution, I've chosen to bike, walk, train, drive, skateboard, ski, roller blade, and dogsled my way to and fro. (I am holding out for the personal wing-jet-pack thing though.)

ME = NOT FLY (u.a.t.i.n.o.w.t.g.f.h.t.t.i.t.a.t.e. /u.d.)
(Unless absolutely, there is no other way to get from here to there in the allotted time, etc. - i.e.,under duress)

So, today, I've been interested that so many people are speaking out, saying that they have (on one or more points above) chosen
NOT TO FLY.

So I am wondering, how do others feel?
FLY ??? or NOT FLY???
Why???

Quill

Re: FLY or NOT FLY ???

Post by Quill » November 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm

Yeah I miss the good old days. When airlines beckoned us to fly the friendly skies, and seemed to mean it.

Ratcheted-up goon-administered security and decreased amenities like seat space and in-flight mobility have definitely got me checking rail options. And has hampered my travel enthusiasm. Not because of terrorist threat, mind you. I just don't like being treated like livestock or having my shaving supplies confiscated.

What's ahead? Strip and body cavity searches and travel in orange coveralls? I wouldn't be surprised.

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » November 15th, 2010, 3:23 pm

Being literally thousands of miles away from most places I want to be limits my options for travel, unless I want to spend days or weeks traveling to/fro. What I find amazing is how the federal government has stepped up to regulate so many industries, but apparently allows one of their own divisions to very publicly defy those regulations.

Think about the federal (some are these are echoed by or beefed up by state laws) regulations in a typical workspace, specifically about sexual harassment. In a place you are paid to be, you are protected from unwelcome advances and touching (this is the theory behind the law - no comment on its actual application). In a place you pay to be (airport on the way to your paid travel), you have no rights when it comes to unwelcome advances and touching.

Should you complain about such behavior at the job, you are protected against retaliation. When you complain about such behavior at the airport, you can be detained, publicly humiliated, and even arrested.

Will I continue to fly? Yes, because I'm sometimes required to for work, and enjoy traveling for pleasure. I've endured hours of security and both kind and rude TSA agents, but have never felt any kind of violation (other than inconvenience) during the four or five pat-downs I've had. That being said, I've never been singled out for a naked screening and never had my kid handled by stranger. Not sure what I'd do in one of those instances.
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Robin

Post by Robin » November 15th, 2010, 7:35 pm

FLY!!

I'd rather get felt up and endure a little radiation than being blown up mid air. (guess I'm a glass half full kinda person)
Unfortunately we have to suffer for the stupidity of a few people.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Robin

Post by Robin » November 15th, 2010, 7:39 pm

It would be great if they hired hot guys to do the pat downs. I'd like to get a pat down from The Rock and Vin Diesel ;)
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 16th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Robin wrote:It would be great if they hired hot guys to do the pat downs. I'd like to get a pat down from The Rock and Vin Diesel ;)
ROFL

I nominate Robin for a high level position in airline security so she can implement this idea.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Robin

Post by Robin » November 16th, 2010, 5:17 pm

cheekychook wrote:
Robin wrote:It would be great if they hired hot guys to do the pat downs. I'd like to get a pat down from The Rock and Vin Diesel ;)
ROFL

I nominate Robin for a high level position in airline security so she can implement this idea.
I humbly accept the position. How much is it paying... and do I get to personally hand pick the friskers, I mean TSA personnel?
Robin

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » November 16th, 2010, 7:45 pm

I have no choice unless I want to drive through snow-covered mountains in the dead of winter to go home for Christmas. And who wants to do that?

Oh, maybe I will. Who knows.

Quill

Post by Quill » November 16th, 2010, 9:40 pm

Robin wrote:
cheekychook wrote:
ROFL

I humbly accept the position. How much is it paying... and do I get to personally hand pick the friskers, I mean TSA personnel?
Yes, you would get to hand frisk, I mean hand pick the personnel.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » November 17th, 2010, 10:59 am

I always loved to fly. Plus I don't really care about the so called "terror threat". First, the so called terrorists may blow up anything, not just airplanes. Hence, you have the very same chance to be killed by terrorist on the ground then up in the sky, or even maybe more. Second, the present terror threats what we hear day by day is serving only one purpose by the weak governments, to spread fear between the public and to enhance the overall surveillance of the people. If someone really would want to blow up a plane, that one can do that anytime because there are thousands of methods to take down an airplane from the sky.

In the European Union when some sort of strike or riots are happening against the liar governments, they raise the terror level and say... terrorists will strike right in those days when the people are stepping up against the government. In the reality there is no true terror threat, but the governments are using this to keep the people in bay. Best example... there were general strikes and riots in France, Germany, United Kingdom and the Czech Republic two month ago. These were the places where the people are intended to kick the liar and thief elements out of their country. Have you ever heard about those? Not really. What about you heard instead? Terror threats which is planned with aircrafts. Why and when these governments is started to ring the terror bell? Right on those days, because in this case the media is rather focusing on “never existed” terror threats instead of the true problems, the riots and the strike itself. Same goes in the United States. When elections are coming and when the present government (Regardless from the side) is surely going to lose, suddenly a "terror threat" is emerging out from the darkness which has no true background in the reality. Why? To cause fear, to never feel yourself safe. Because if you feel yourself perfectly safe, you realize something is wrong with those people whose are actually ringing the terror bell.

So personally I say: FLY and I would encourage others to fly bravely, because you don't have to fear from anything in the reality... you must fear only from fear itself what some people are spreading to keep their power.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » November 29th, 2010, 11:57 am

I used to love flying too, but am put off my the new machines. Don't really care about the patdowns. I mean, it's a small price to pay for security. Does anyone know how much radiation is emitted by these machines? I wouldn't want my children being exposed, or me for that matter, considering I'm pregnant most of the time lately!

sbs_mjc1

Post by sbs_mjc1 » November 29th, 2010, 12:08 pm

I have to fly once a year or so between Scotland and the USA-- no road-trip option there.
As for security measures, I don't mind taking shoes off, etc., because it's to keep us safe. Full-body scans, fine. If it catches some nutcase with weapons or smuggled animals or drugs or the like, good for them.
And in principle, I would not have a problem with the pat-downs, except that all I've heard is horrible stories about dodgy TSA people purposely groping folks, etc (one guy was apparently touching himself whilst giving ladies their pat-downs...YUCK). A suggestion has been circulating that menfolk start wearing kilts in the, um...traditional style...and let the security get an unpleasant surprise.
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

Robin

Post by Robin » November 29th, 2010, 7:40 pm

Kilts in the traditional way?? :)

Well, last week my family and I flew to TX from ATL. Two of the busiest airports and it was a wonderful experience. You only go through the additional screening if you set off the first metal detector.

Anywho, I made a cute little shirt to wear that said:

"I'd rather get felt up than blown up"

TSA loved it... Its all how to approach the situation.
Robin

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » November 29th, 2010, 8:27 pm

Robin wrote:Kilts in the traditional way?? :)

Well, last week my family and I flew to TX from ATL. Two of the busiest airports and it was a wonderful experience. You only go through the additional screening if you set off the first metal detector.

Anywho, I made a cute little shirt to wear that said:

TSA loved it... Its all how to approach the situation.
I love it! That should have automatically earned you a trip to the most attractive frisker's line.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Down the well

Post by Down the well » November 29th, 2010, 10:01 pm

Robin wrote:Anywho, I made a cute little shirt to wear that said:

Hahahahahahaha!!

The guys should wear those t-shirts with their kilts. Er, maybe not. Someone might read it the wrong way.