Screen Names

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Transitoria

Re: Screen Names

Post by Transitoria » October 29th, 2010, 11:19 pm

My real screen name is Transitoria666. It's a devilish/Spanglish mix for Passing Through Hell. Some days, it feels that way. Other days, not so much.

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » October 30th, 2010, 12:33 am

I have a few close friends who are Australian and my nickname started with them. "Cheeky" means the same there as it does in the US and elsewhere---sassy/wisea$$. "Chook" is the Aussie slang for chicken but is also a term sort of equivalent to the American term "silly goose". Smart-mouthed silly goose is frequently an accurate description of me so, one time a long time ago, when I was trying to join an online discussion and all the usernames I was typing in were already taken, I tried the name "Cheekychook", and lo and behold it was available. And ever since then it's been mine.
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Margo

Post by Margo » October 30th, 2010, 1:40 am

polymath wrote:...malevolent trolls intent on harshing my mellow.
I think I must have skimmed over this line when I first read this post. Harsh...mellow. Harshmellows? I think I've just fallen in love with a new word.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

RymRytr
Location: South of Seattle; East of Puget Sound; North of Mt Rainier

Post by RymRytr » October 30th, 2010, 1:59 am

I've long been a fan of Rhyme, since I first read Poe, back in the late 50's. (Yes, I'm an old guy!).

After learning about Computers and buying a Vic20 and then a Commodore 64 - and then progressing up from my first 286, I had several Nyms on BBS and other places. Then, about 15 years ago, I was struggling for a name that had 7 letters and that said what I wanted.

I've always liked spelling words with out the Vowels and, after several months of false starts, it fell on me: rymrytr.

Rym (rhyme) Rytr (writer). I was happily satisfied.

Nearly all my Poetry, Rhymes. "Rhyming" is a "right angle" to most of the world now, but I like it. :o)

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » October 30th, 2010, 3:59 am

J. T. are indeed my initials, Dios4vida. Some people call me that, others call me John or John T. I don't mind as long as they don't call me early in the morning...

Steppe

Post by Steppe » October 30th, 2010, 6:03 am

I was curious about ( dios4vida ) because a COLD PLAY album uses the word "vida".

I think names over at great length for my characters.

I use Steppe to remind me each and every day is an open book and I must remember that; Steppe being an open grassy rocky treeless plain.
Azrok Steppe is the full character name. He is a supporting actor in my time (mafia) travel stories usually serving as the first sheriff or bounty hunter on the scene.
Azrok is a acronym for ( A thru Z R-are OK ) signifying the alpha omega equation aspects of a realm have been satisfied satisfied and the realm is habitable again.
I also found a 60's Movie named Azrok after using the character's name for a while about an accidental missile launch.

When I was a toddler I heard an old man crying and went into the woods to find him. He had wandered away from a nursing home. My housekeeper chased me for two or three miles deep into the woods and caught me just about the time she could hear him crying too. My first unofficial case closed successfully.
I've done a lot of creepy case work (retired)and occasionally still do. I hang around here for the light hearted enthusiasm and healthy sense of purpose.
My new Blob Fish icon is how I feel after waking up from the dream world. All pink with my nose pressed against the glass thinking "Hmmm? Looks like earth."

Recent debris no longer floating on the breeze threatening to become an ill whirlwind. An info dump.
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.drea ... 062c?hl=en#
Azrok Steppe is the world I built as a sanctuary to go and dream in each night when my body is in need of sleep.

Most people who engage in what I do tend to cover their tracks and keep moving.
I'm half and half about that or of two minds. I keep my real ID separate from my net self history.
Although I have had several lengthy net relationships related to common work or artistic purposes.
I tease the official types mercilessly and ruthlessly but they know I persistently believe in their mission.

"Life is good." Azrok Steppe

polymath

Post by polymath » October 30th, 2010, 10:59 am

Margo wrote:
polymath wrote:...malevolent trolls intent on harshing my mellow.
I think I must have skimmed over this line when I first read this post. Harsh...mellow. Harshmellows? I think I've just fallen in love with a new word.
S'mores made with scorched harshmellows, unsweetened German baking chocolate, and saltines? Harshmellow sounds like the Monday morning hangover blues; the feeling of an aftermath from an autowreck when you realize you're alive, no one's hurt, but the car's a total loss and it's uninsured; you've just quit a salt mine job and don't have any prospects; the love interest has taken out a restraining order; the sheriff just delivered an eviction notice; and sleeping under a railroad bridge seems like the next-best thing to do at the moment. Oh harshmellow, I know thy name.
Spread the love of written word.

Quill

Post by Quill » October 30th, 2010, 12:00 pm

Or like the pizza I ordered takeout last night. Nicely laced with red onions like I asked, baked too perfection, but my other topping, anchovies, was layered under the cheese with such a heavy hand that the result was aggressively, bitingly salty, saltier than the Dead Sea.

polymath

Post by polymath » October 30th, 2010, 3:42 pm

I'm seeing harshmellow as a special oxymoronic paradox, a rhetorical figure of speech. Paradox: "A statement that is self-contradictory on the surface, yet seems to evoke a truth nonetheless." ** Where an oxymoron is two otherwise ordinarily opposing terms placed adjacent to each other, a compressed paradox. Thus words are coined in living languages, that become tropes, metaphors, perhaps trite or cliché in time, and maybe persist as timeless idioms. Cool screen name and perhaps an estranging metaphor useful for a suitable character's voice aesthetics. Mellows my harsh.

** Silva Rhetoricae: Paradox
http://rhetoric.byu.edu/figures/P/paradox.htm
Spread the love of written word.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 30th, 2010, 5:08 pm

Guardian... well, my longest WIP project is about angels, especially about an angel lady and the dearest person of mine, said; I'm caring about that novel and the story of the winged lady so much like if I would be a Guardian of a Guardian (Angel). So this "Guardian" came from there.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » November 1st, 2010, 2:10 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Sommer is my first name. Not a penname. I've really been Sommer my whole life :-)

Leigh, however, is not my real last name. It is my middle name.

When I decided I was going down the publishing route and I wanted to switch over my online presence to dedicate to my writing life and journey towards publication and a writing career, I dumped all my old screen names and decided to write strictly under my name. Except my husband and I decided I would not be writing under my married name. I've mentioned before, but my husband is a high school English teacher and my target audience is YA. He wanted some anonymity when they day comes I finally do publish. Also because my married last name is kind of ugly. I mean, it is German, clunky to pronounce, and difficult to spell. I decided to drop the married name and just go with Leigh.

So, long story short, Sommer Leigh is my name. And honestly, I like Sommer Leigh so much I'm tempted to make it my legal name.

I do use another screen name sometimes, just not here. It is my email address and title of my blog: TellGreatStories.

Me too! Jaime is my first name, Loren is my middle name :) I like the anonymity, too. If I was to ever get published, I wouldn't want people to be able to look up my phone number/address :P

***edited for a spelling mistake! I blame it on my lack of sleep and beg forgiveness from the writing community!!!***
Last edited by Jaime on November 3rd, 2010, 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » November 1st, 2010, 2:17 pm

dios4vida wrote:I was commenting in the "Random Things About You" thread about my screen name and had a thought.

Some of us have interesting screen names. I wonder, what does yours mean? How did you come up with it?

For me, mine is Spanglish (half Spanish, half English) - "dios" (God) 4 "vida" (life). I needed an email address when I left for college, and since my relationship with God is very important to me, it just worked. I can't take credit though, because my friend Gracie came up with the actual phrase.

So how about you?

I have to admit, whenever I read your screen name, I hear, "Vengeance for Zul'jin" from Warcraft.

Yes, I'm a geek.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » November 1st, 2010, 2:41 pm

Totally made it up by the seat of my pants one day because I know I can't publish with my real name. It's too plain, and I was named after an actor:

Jessica Leslie Nielsen. (I'm not afraid of my name, I just think it's more boring that Boring Von Borrington.)

So since no one would read a fantasy book by that, I realized I needed a sparkly name. I looked through the aisles and since I'm fairly good with just randomly coming up with stuff (I have an assortment of dolls and characters over 50+, I have to be creative) I said Sierra McConnell sounded pretty sparkly and did a web search.

The only thing that came up was an article for a little girl winning an award somewhere in a little town I can't remember.

Now I have a bad website and several other things listed with the name. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » November 1st, 2010, 9:10 pm

Interesting, Sierra/Jessica, since people used to joke about Leslie Nielsen having a girl's name! Jessica L. Nielsen or Jessica Nielsen sounds fine to me.

Polymath, didn't they have a handheld cooker/dispenser for what Spock called 'marshmelons' in one of the Star Trek movies, STAR TREK VI, I think?