I have a niece, and she's a future writer.

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
sierramcconnell

I have a niece, and she's a future writer.

Post by sierramcconnell » September 28th, 2010, 2:14 pm

And I have rights to her work.

Honestly. Last night she sat her Nana (my mom) and me down...and said this:

"I will tell you a story.

There was once a forest with all these leaves. And they all went away but one. Because the forest was very hot.

Then there was a princess. Named China. And she was walking through the spooky forest. And she was following a prince. He was a bad prince.

Then there was another prince. He was named Astris. And he was a good prince. And she was setting all these traps for him. And they were bad traps. Very very very bad ones."

Obviously by now we ask, what is the other prince's name, where did he go?

"Oh, his name is Calla. He's far far away in the mountains by now. Aaanyway. China fell in her own trap where it was very very hot and there was a big big bear that went RAWR.

Then Astris ran far far away to an atropolis and got a guitar and went plinkaplinkaplinka playing for the rest of his life.

The End!"

Me: "Can I have the rights to this movie?"

My niece: "Yes. You can have it tomorrow. It'll be illustrated by Mallysphas."

And then she wanted to know if it would be possible to watch the movie once she was out of the bath. XD

I think she needs to be put in a creative writing class for four year olds. She's always coming up with crazy stuff like this with or without playsets.

Anyone else have an aspiring writer in their family?

I'm putting this in 'procrastination' because I wasn't sure if it fit under 'all things writing'. :3
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

stephmcgee

Re: I have a niece, and she's a future writer.

Post by stephmcgee » September 28th, 2010, 7:18 pm

That is too cute! You should record all these for posterity.

Mira

Post by Mira » September 28th, 2010, 9:16 pm

That is adorable - and yes - do copy them. She'll be embarrassed by them when she's a teen, and think fondly of them when she's an adult. So, it's win-win.

Besides, when she's a famous author, they'll be worth bunches. :)

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » September 28th, 2010, 10:06 pm

Well, tonight she was telling us all about...

"When I was a baby, I lived in a cave with a spooky witch and we didn't have anything."

Well, I would call my sister a witch, but they did have cable.

And China once again made an appearance with a castle with all sorts of magical items, one of them a hairbrush that made her hair grow longer and longer. But her granddad interrupted that one. XD

It cracked me up though, when I had said "When I was younger I cracked my tooth on an ice cream cone" and she said, "Yes, when I was a baby I was walkin' down the street all by myself and momma said, 'just don't go in the road'."
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 28th, 2010, 11:09 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:Well, tonight she was telling us all about...

"When I was a baby, I lived in a cave with a spooky witch and we didn't have anything."

Well, I would call my sister a witch, but they did have cable.
This is awesome. :-)

A few years ago when my little brother was about 4, I took my boyfriend, now my husband, over to meet my family. My dad and brother and the rest of the step siblings all live in a house my dad built in the middle of the woods. (Honestly, it's no wonder I write YA horror now considering where I grew up.)

Well, my little brother, my boyfriend, and I were sitting at the kid's picnic table by the swing set and I don't remember how it came up but suddenly he started telling us a story.

About how there are "skulls that live high in the trees in these woods, and the skulls sometimes tip upside down and fill with darkness and spin around until there is darkness and sometimes blood coming out and sometimes at night you can hear the wind blowing through them."

I looked at the boyfriend who had gone wide eyed and terrified and then I looked at my little brother who wasn't even paying attention to us anymore, and he says, "So can I have ice cream now?"

And I was all, "Yes, god yes go have ice cream."

The boyfriend-turned-husband immediately blamed me for my brother's imagination. Honestly though, I only told him about the werewolves that lived in the woods that dad would lie and say were coyotes. I had nothing to do with the flying darkness skulls.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.