Rate your WiP Titles!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Leonidas

Rate your WiP Titles!

Post by Leonidas » August 6th, 2010, 11:28 am

This is always a fun game. Rate the title of the WiPs above your post. Say what you like about them, what you don't like, if you'd pick it up in the store on the title alone, or anything else that the title brings to mind.

Let's only post one or two titles at a time, to avoid swamping the thread with the same person's titles. Also, post the genre(s) that the book is.

Mine:

Gunmetal Gray - literary fiction
When the Storm Birds Fly - Historical Romance

WilliamMJones

Re: Rate your WiP Titles!

Post by WilliamMJones » August 6th, 2010, 11:44 am

Oh, sounds fun.

Gunmetal Grey: I would probabally pick it up and look at a page or two. It's short, simple, and sounds like a fun read.

When the stormbirds fly: I like the sound of the title, but probabally wouldn't look past the back cover, mainly because I don't read Historical Romance.

Here's mine:

I'm a Nobody - YA Fantasy
Just Another Fairytale - YA Epic Fantasy

Mira

Post by Mira » August 6th, 2010, 4:50 pm

For some weird reason, the title always comes to me first. Then I write the piece to go with it. I have a little kid's story I've written several drafts for, but just can't hit it right. It's called "The Monster under the Bed." That's the title, and someday, I'll finally get the story to go with it.

ryanznock

Post by ryanznock » August 6th, 2010, 6:05 pm

WilliamMJones, no negativity intended, but neither of your titles jump out at me. Maybe folks who feel less appreciated would appreciate I'm a Nobody more.

Monster Under the Bed has the same problem, I feel. It doesn't stand out and say, "Hey, you probably haven't read a story like me before."

I like When the Stormbirds Fly better than Gunmetal Grey.

I think covers make a huge difference, though. The intersection of text and image can resonate far more than just text alone.

My WIP title is "Meeting of the Waters," an urban fantasy. I'm not completely sold on the title, but I think it's better than what I called it throughout the first draft: "Untitled Time Travel Pirate Romance Novel."

Mira

Post by Mira » August 6th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Oh I'm sorry. I misunderstood the game. I thought we rated our OWN titles. Whoops.

Um, WilliamMJones, I definitely love both of your titles, especially Just another Fairytale. I like that alot.

Gunmetal Gray, I'd really have to see the cover and book, but it sounds like something literary fiction would be called, so it could be a good match. When Storm Birds Fly, I like that for historical.

Ryanznook, since you didn't like my title, I'm dissing on yours. That's the way it rolls. Just kidding. Sort of. I like your title, it's fine as is, but I will say it doesn't sound piratey or romancey or like a time fantasy. Could you tweak it? 'Crossing of the Blue Waters.' 'Mist in the Blue Waters' or just "Blue." I like blue.

Although, Meeting of the Waters is just fine, methinks.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 6th, 2010, 7:03 pm

I think titles are extremely important to brainstorm around: first, because they need to describe the book and secondly, because they can draw a reader in (or the reverse).

I would rather play here than comment, and try to brainstorm rather than judge.

Gunmetal Gray - literary fiction: okay, probably really workable, but doesn't quite pop. If it is a spy novel, how about something more hardboiled or even funny??? The Gumball Gunner or Gunmetal Over Lightlyi.e., what are the aspects of the story you are trying to get across and how can the title support them?

When the Storm Birds Fly - Historical Romance: again, okay, possible really workable, but doesn't quite pop and seems near to cliche. How about "The Warbling FlyBoys" or "The Hurricane Season"

~~

I'm a Nobody - YA Fantasy: Doesn't work for me. How about The Invisible Boy or I Was An Invisible Teenager

Just Another Fairytale - YA Epic Fantasy : seems to dismiss it (just another...) How about Fairytale ReWired or "Fairytale 2010"

~~

"The Monster under the Bed." : Typical kid title, but I LIKE it. It could really, really work.

~~

"Meeting of the Waters," : like someone else said, doesn't say enough about the material. How about Pirate Blue? or "The Arrrr Ye Seas"

~~

Like I said, just playing. :-D

otherside89girl

Post by otherside89girl » August 6th, 2010, 7:27 pm

Gunmetal Gray & When the Storm Birds Fly both sound awesome to me. Good job. I'm jealous.

I'm a Nobody - GOOD. I almost forgot it was just someone's WIP and not a book I'd seen on a shelf.
Just Another Fairytale - I like the word fairytale in the title but I'm not sure about "Just Another"

Monster Under the Bed - Nice, as long as it's not already taken, which it sounds like it might be.

Meeting of the Waters - Maybe if there was an adjective before waters?

My WIP is titleless and I need sympathy because I can't think of anything good. My top choices right now are: RONNIE FOR REAL or GOLD SO BRIGHT. I have no idea, really.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » August 6th, 2010, 7:29 pm

I think Ronnie for Real sounds the best - I like the way it rolls off the tongue. I don't really care for the second, but I can't really tell you why because I don't know. lol

Mine:

The Devil's Utopia (YA Dystopian) <--- not sold on this yet

Delilah Wakes (YA Contemp)

Leonidas

Post by Leonidas » August 6th, 2010, 8:06 pm

bcomet wrote:I think titles are extremely important to brainstorm around: first, because they need to describe the book and secondly, because they can draw a reader in (or the reverse).

I would rather play here than comment, and try to brainstorm rather than judge.

Gunmetal Gray - literary fiction: okay, probably really workable, but doesn't quite pop. If it is a spy novel, how about something more hardboiled or even funny??? The Gumball Gunner or Gunmetal Over Lightlyi.e., what are the aspects of the story you are trying to get across and how can the title support them?

When the Storm Birds Fly - Historical Romance: again, okay, possible really workable, but doesn't quite pop and seems near to cliche. How about "The Warbling FlyBoys" or "The Hurricane Season"
Not gonna lie, I actually LOL'd at your title suggestions. Especially for the Gunmetal Gray suggestions, 'cause I started to imagine my MCs as spies. Basically, though, it's about gay marines fighting in Iraq, so I don't think those suggestions will work :P

And I agree that When the Storm Birds fly is a little too much of a romance-y title than I would have liked originally, but it works for right now. xDD

Out of the two titles you posted, Charlotte, I like Delilah Wakes more than The Devil's Utopia. Devil's Utopia seems a little too dystopia, if you get what I mean. I'm not sure what mood you're going for, though, otherwise I would make some suggestions. Same two titles of mine up for rating.

Quill

Post by Quill » August 6th, 2010, 11:01 pm

otherside89girl wrote:
My WIP is titleless and I need sympathy because I can't think of anything good. My top choices right now are: RONNIE FOR REAL or GOLD SO BRIGHT. I have no idea, really.
Are you kidding? RONNIE IN HIGH SCHOOL is golden. It's so retro its ultra-mod. Serious. Who wouldn't pick it up?

otherside89girl

Post by otherside89girl » August 6th, 2010, 11:24 pm

Quill wrote:
otherside89girl wrote:
Are you kidding? RONNIE IN HIGH SCHOOL is golden. It's so retro its ultra-mod. Serious. Who wouldn't pick it up?
Er... You're being sarcastic, right? :/

Quill

Post by Quill » August 7th, 2010, 12:55 am

Not at all.

bcomet

Post by bcomet » August 7th, 2010, 11:09 am

I like Ronny In High School too. Sometimes direct works exactly. Kind of like Teen Wolf.

For the pirate one: how about: Time Pirate?

It would be helpful when people give their titles if they describe the themes too. A title might appeal in and of itself, but it should somehow point at what the book is about too.

Margo

Post by Margo » August 7th, 2010, 2:53 pm

My favorites thus far are:

Meeting of the Waters (No, it's not a synopsis in a teacup, but it's distinctive and avoids teary cliches. The right book cover could really tie it in nicely with the context. That being said, there's only so much stressing we can do about our titles. The final word belongs to the publishing company.)

And charlotte49ers's two:

The Devil's Utopia (I like the play on opposing concepts.)

Delilah Wakes (Nice ring to it. Brings up the immediate question of what 'wakes' means, literal or figurative, etc)

Of course, charlotte49ers gets a bonus for being born on August 7 (so the forum birthday list says). All people born on August 7 are brilliant.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » August 7th, 2010, 6:31 pm

lol

I must have put it in backwards. My birthday is July 8th, so 7/8 not 8/7. :-P But I'm still brilliant, right?