Forum game: Random facts about you

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Erica75

Re: Forum game: Random facts about you

Post by Erica75 » June 26th, 2010, 8:42 pm

My biggest fear is having absolutely nothing interesting to say.

The only TV I watch is sports (mostly baseball), Brothers and Sisters (because it's the only time I have the house to myself), and Big Bang Theory (because I think it's hilarious).

The fact that my 9-year-old is one of the best baseball players in his grade pleases me more than the fact that he won both the "reading bee" and the "spelling bee" for the entire 3rd grade this year. For some reason, reading the HP series and spelling the word catastrophe holds no candle to pitching an almost-no-hitter for 3 innings.

I hate salad. It's a waste of chewing.
we blog - erica and christy - http://lynneawest.blogspot.com/

Quill

Post by Quill » June 26th, 2010, 10:29 pm

In intervals since I was a kid I've had no television in my life for about as long as I have had it.

Sorry, a regular size candy bar is not worth eighty-nine cents (plus tax).

I'm pretty good at thumping watermelons.

I've dug an outhouse hole. It took a day.

JessByam

Post by JessByam » June 27th, 2010, 2:45 am

I once spent an entire day with my eyes closed to see what life is like for the blind.
I totally did that once, too! I had to have a disability for a day for my Accessible Recreation class in university, and I chose to be blind. I had a cane and everything! A friend took me grocery shopping and just as we turned down the last aisle, we heard a man complaining to a store clerk. He said, "I can't find it, but maybe I'm just blind or something." My friend told me later that his face turned six shade of red when he saw me, and I felt sorry for embarrassing him. Sure makes a crazy story, though!

Emily White

Post by Emily White » June 27th, 2010, 7:23 am

katya152 wrote:Random facts about me:

My husband and I got engaged three weeks after we met.

On Jaws: I LOVE JAWS! But surfing at Dillon Beach is still out of the question.
My husband and I did, too! :D

This is a fun game!

Let's see...well, I once sang the national anthem at a Minor League baseball game, I can say the alphabet backwards, and I am so arachnophobic I can't even look at pictures of spiders without getting a panic attack (and though that revelation typically encourages someone to post a picture of a spider, please don't. I'm being quite serious about the panic attack thing. Thanks!)
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

Aimée

Post by Aimée » June 27th, 2010, 2:17 pm

k10wnsta wrote:You asked for it...
Random facts about me:

I am currently making my 35th trip around the sun.

Although I don't watch much television, my favorite show is iCarly (Squidbillies is a close second though).

My cats are canaries in the coalmine of my imagination:
As a child, any fear that followed waking from a nightmare or of monsters in the room was waylaid if one of my cats was sleeping near me. I knew they would not be sleeping if danger was nearby.
3 of my 4 cats slept next to me last night - they have never failed to protect me from myself.

I once spent an entire day with my eyes closed to see what life is like for the blind.
I once spent an entire day with earmuffs covering cotton balls and silicon earplugs to see what life is like for the deaf.

I got to play what was at the time the longest par-5 golf hole (711 yards) in the world at Wake Forest Country Club in Raleigh, North Carolina (I bogeyed it).

I sat in the backseat of a car that flipped three times.
I snapped my left humorous in half and broke my neck in five places (C2-C6) while sitting in the backseat of a car that flipped three times.

By the time I was 16, I'd flown over a quarter of a million miles by myself on passenger airlines.

I once umpired little league baseball and was terrified of making a bad call.
I once made a bad call while umpiring little league baseball.

In high school, I failed every class for one semester before getting straight A's in them the following semester.

I've been to Disneyland.

I'm allergic to chocolate - it makes me sneeze rapidly several times in a row.
As a kid, every time I'd pilfer a squirt of Hershey's Syrup from the fridge my mom would catch me, even if she was in the other room.

I've tried every standard recreational drug at least once (PROTIP: Stay away from the powders).

I once got out of a DUI by breaking the seal on a bottle of Little Syd's Gin & Juice and taking a swig of it in front of the cop.
I once got a ticket for drinking in public.

I qualified for MENSA but have not joined.

I once spent 20 days in jail.
I once fasted for 20 days.

I've had sex with 28 women and 1 man (not all at the same time).

I once sat on the edge of a cliff some 10,000 feet in the air and, while contemplating the horizon 400 miles away, watched a cloud pass just beneath my feet.

For a period of about five years, I drank at least 16 pounds (7 liters) of Mountain Dew a day.

I can not tolerate the thought of being in any standing body of water (even a bath) and I'm scared to death of the ocean.
I swam in the Atlantic Ocean.
I swam in the Pacific Ocean.

I once strung up over 4 miles of Christmas lights on my house.
I once fell off the roof of my house while stringing up Christmas lights.

I've been to Disneyworld.

I'm a retired /b/tard - for all the immense pleasure there was in seeing such awe-inspiring creativity and imagination as is displayed on the board, I could no longer bear the cost of having to witness the staggering savagery and malice humanity is capable of.

I've been lucky enough to witness, firsthand, the fury of the four elements:
[water] - a hurricane (and resulting flood) in Virginia
[wind] - a tornado in Georgia
[earth] - an earthquake in Oregon
[fire] - a cataclysmic volcanic eruption in Washington
Wow. That is a life well spent.

I've never been to Disneyland or Disneyworld.

I've never witnessed a hurricane, a tornado, a volcano, or an earthquake.

I've never seen Jaws.

ABC: My initials are ABJ. I think I might have to marry someone with a surname that starts with C.

I once shot an innocent woman in the face... With a water gun. That was probably the most embarrassing moment of my life.

I watch the Westminister Kennel Club Dog Show every single year. I do not own a dog. I don't even like dogs.

I am in love with the Jonas Brothers. I have a Jonas Brothers calender.

I have never gotten a ticket, though a probably deserve one. Or more. I am a speed demon, no doubt, and I am the crookedest parker ever.

My favorite flower is a tiger lily.

My car is a 1994 Honda Accord. It has 199,900 miles on it. I am listening to the song 500 Miles by the Proclaimers over and over again until I reach 200,000 miles in honor of the TV show How I Met Your Mother.

My favorite TV shows are LOST, Joan Of Arcadia, and Kyle XY. All three are no longer on the air, but I am in complete denial. I own the DVDs for them and watch them all the time.

I am eighteen years old and I know the meaning of life.

OK. That's enough.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 27th, 2010, 3:08 pm

Erica75 wrote:The only TV I watch is sports (mostly baseball), Brothers and Sisters (because it's the only time I have the house to myself), and Big Bang Theory (because I think it's hilarious).
YES! All hail Big Bang Theory. I'm a total geek, and a Biochemistry student to boot. It's like that show was made for me! Or at least, people like me.

Random fact: After seeing Toy Story 3, I went down to my bedroom, unearthed my remaining plushes (I'm 21) and I told them all how much I loved them.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Kilas

Post by Kilas » June 27th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I own fourteen cats, three Greyhounds, two Borzoi, one Italian Greyhound, one Great Dane, one Otterhound /Wolfhound cross and foster seven Greyhounds until they are adopted.

I am a certified wildlife rehabber specializing in raptors and large carnivores. For me there are only two seasons, on and off.

I have random people stop by my house and ask me, "When does the petting zoo open?"

dmarie84

Post by dmarie84 » June 28th, 2010, 10:26 am

This may sound a bit morbid, but I enjoy walking through old cemeteries, mostly the ones that are alone in some abandoned farm field, or just a random plot in the middle of suburbia where the old stones are surrounded by new houses and stores. Maybe it's my writer's mind, but so much is revealed just by looking at the stones, especially if they have a poem inscribed on them. I always wonder what the lives of those people were like, especially if it looks like they lost family members within a short amount of time.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
The pleasantest of all diversions is to sit alone under the lamp, a book spread out before you, and to make friends with people of a distant past you have never known.--Yoshida Kenko, Essays in Idleness

My blog: Tales from the Writing Front

midenianscholar

Post by midenianscholar » June 28th, 2010, 10:52 am

dmarie84 wrote:This may sound a bit morbid, but I enjoy walking through old cemeteries, mostly the ones that are alone in some abandoned farm field, or just a random plot in the middle of suburbia where the old stones are surrounded by new houses and stores.
I grew up right near a cemetery, and my family used to go on picnics there. I also made my dad stop on a trip to the beach once, because there was a tree in the middle of a field with old graves under it. We went to investigate and found out they were from the Civil War. It was actually really cool.

Random facts:
I sang at the White House (2006-ish).
I met Douglas Gresham, C.S. Lewis's step-son.
I'm 19 and have Rheumatoid Arthritis, among other equally fun autoimmune problems.
I smuggled myself into England when I was 17. (It should be noted I was there for my 18th birthday, which was three days away, and I was traveling with an adult mentor.)
I own a Jane Austen action figure.

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » June 28th, 2010, 11:36 am

I was a seat filler at the CMA (Country Music Awards) for three years. :)

I can also fold my tongue in half and learned how at the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum.

Emily White

Post by Emily White » June 28th, 2010, 4:45 pm

dmarie84 wrote:This may sound a bit morbid, but I enjoy walking through old cemeteries, mostly the ones that are alone in some abandoned farm field, or just a random plot in the middle of suburbia where the old stones are surrounded by new houses and stores. Maybe it's my writer's mind, but so much is revealed just by looking at the stones, especially if they have a poem inscribed on them. I always wonder what the lives of those people were like, especially if it looks like they lost family members within a short amount of time.

Or maybe I'm just weird.
I love walking through cemeteries. There was a cemetery behind the elementary/middle school that I went to and one of the tombstones belonged to a Frederick Kruger.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 28th, 2010, 6:14 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:I can also fold my tongue in half and learned how at the Ripley's Believe It Or Not museum.
Random fact, but not about me: The ability to create an "U" with your tongue is a dominant gene. If one of your parent can, chances are you can too.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 28th, 2010, 7:22 pm

I have a genetic disorder which affects the way my body makes collagen. It's called Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome and basically my tendons/ligaments are hypermobile and degenerate under everyday wear-and-tear. My Mom calls me Bionic Bren because of the braces I wear on my wrists, knees, and ankle. There are only two good things about it: for me it truly is possible to have baby-soft skin, and since it's a genetic mutation my husband has declared that I get to join the X-Men. All I need is a good X-Men name. Seriously, if you think of one, let me know.

I accomplished one of my life goals when I traveled to the Middle East and rode a camel through Petra.

On my desk I have an assortment of interesting rocks, sticks, and other oddities to inspire me. I had a mummified lizard I'd found when it was 113 degrees last summer, but my cat ate it.

I live next door to my sister and her family, and it's the best!

I cannot see in the dark. Therefore, I am still afraid of the dark.

I am allergic to any fruit that has a large pit in the middle, all melons, and an odd assortment of other foods no one else seems to be allergic to.

I once had two sets of friends get married on the same day. I didn't want to choose whose wedding to attend, so I went to neither. Had I gone to one of the weddings, I would have met my husband one year earlier than I did. (I was a friend of the groom, he was a friend of the bride. We had no other mutual friends.)

People don't believe me when I tell them my sister and I are nothing alike, until I tell them that I'm a fantasy writer and my sister is a scientist with a bachelor's in molecular and cellular biology and a master's degree in biomedical ethics. (Seriously, we're nothing alike.)

I once had a bobcat in my backyard. I even have the pictures to prove it!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 29th, 2010, 9:07 am

My house was hit by a tornado. On Sunday. Looks like a giant weedwhacker went through our trees.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

aspiring_x

Post by aspiring_x » June 29th, 2010, 12:09 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:My house was hit by a tornado. On Sunday. Looks like a giant weedwhacker went through our trees.
holy cow! is there damage to the actual house?