What are you listening to?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
ThinkBlue

What are you listening to?

Post by ThinkBlue » December 22nd, 2009, 2:37 am

I don't listen to music while I write--I find it distracting--but before I start, it helps me relax and find the right mood.

My favorites are by: Radiohead, Kings of Leon, Lupe Fiasco, and Justice.

Yours?

Mira

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by Mira » December 22nd, 2009, 10:34 am

Right now - Christmas music.

Otherwise, something soothing - classical, oldies, light jazz, new agey. But I'm like you - not while I'm writing. For some reason, music in the background while I'm writing distracts me too.

Marla Warren

Post by Marla Warren » December 22nd, 2009, 11:00 am

The Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I've never seen them in concert, but I hope to someday.
“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

Crystal

Post by Crystal » December 22nd, 2009, 1:04 pm

Clay Aiken's Christmas CD and I am listening to it while writing but very quietly.
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 22nd, 2009, 1:20 pm

The HP Classic Holiday station on Pandora is really spectacular if anyone wants a good free Christmas mix.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 22nd, 2009, 2:19 pm

Marla Warren wrote:The Trans-Siberian Orchestra

I've never seen them in concert, but I hope to someday.
LOVE them, just saw them in concert. You absolutely need to go.

I listen to almost anything when I'm not writing, but when I am I keep it to classical, movie scores, or new age. Generally stuff that doesn't have words. :)

CV

shadow

Post by shadow » December 22nd, 2009, 3:46 pm

I was just listening to restless heart syndrome by Green Day, and then Fade to Black by Metallica. I love music while I write :) Not always though. I change from time to time.
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

A La Vanille

Post by A La Vanille » December 23rd, 2009, 3:35 pm

Bon Jovi.
I think this one is called Bad Medicine...?

I love writing while listening to music. It helps set the mood. For example, if I am writing a particularly crazy dream sequence, I will most likely listen to The Beatles. :P

( I <3 The Beatles...)

Tzalaran

Post by Tzalaran » December 23rd, 2009, 4:46 pm

"I'm the Best at Ruining My Life"
by From Autumn to Ashes
off the album, 'The Fiction We Live'.

after this, onto some Ministry for that jolt at the end of the work day.
I'd rather hate myself for failing, than hate my life for never having tried.
"Success leads to stagnation. Stagnation leads to failure." - Vlad Taltos

trini

Post by trini » December 23rd, 2009, 7:08 pm

I have my iPod on shuffle. My current playlist includes several Radiohead albums, Nick Cave's Murder Ballads and Dig Lazarus Dig, two Martha Wainwright Albums, a couple by PJ Harvey, three Lovehammers albums, some John Cale, Hera, Andrew Rodriguez, Grinderman, Lucinda Williams and Rachael Yamagata...oh and a few tracks from the Holes movie soundtrack.

edited because I forgot: Lyle Lovett, Sinead O'Connor, Duran Duran Live and The Checks.
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

shadow

Post by shadow » December 25th, 2009, 10:46 am

Now I am listening to Hinder-Better than me and Still Loving you - Scorpions. :)
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » December 29th, 2009, 8:58 pm

When I wrote the three novels in my trilogy of THE FISHERMAN'S SON, I listened to New Age music without words but with moods that matched what I was writing. Some of the best music for this was New Age music with whale sounds when I was writing about my main character swimming under the ocean on the back of a dolphin and hearing whale songs. Recently, I’ve been writing in silence, without music.

When not writing, I've recently been listening to lots of Christmas music, including some awesomely beautiful Christmas music from Loreena McKennitt and Josh Groban.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

trini

Post by trini » January 1st, 2010, 4:18 pm

Down in Hollywood by Ry Cooder...
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

Missy

Post by Missy » January 4th, 2010, 4:41 pm

Mostly I listen to the band Blue October. They came out with two hits a few years ago, "Hate Me" and "Into the Ocean".
I love every single song on each album and am so surprised that they haven't reached a higher level of success. I've met them a few times, very personable guys. I love it when an artist takes the time to sign every single autograph and talks to anyone who wants a few minutes of their time.
The lead singer is bi-polar and schizophrenic, so much of his music deals with darker themes. But what gets me is the brutal honesty in all of it. He also does a lot of work with mental health issues.

MedleyMisty

Post by MedleyMisty » January 4th, 2010, 5:55 pm

I have to have the right music playing while I write - switching playlists or putting a certain song on repeat one has cured writer's block more than once.

I just published an update yesterday so today is relax and just think about writing and watch my stats page day. :) And the appropriate soundtrack for that at the moment:

Heroin - The Velvet Underground (replace heroin with writing and yeah, it fits)

Art Star - Yeah Yeah Yeahs (my husband pointed this one out to me - I think it may have been after I spent twenty minutes putting a glass bowl down on a countertop to hear the sound I was trying to describe, heh.)

This Is Halloween - Marilyn Manson's cover of the song from The Nightmare Before Christmas (I write psychological horror mostly. Literary artful metaphorical psychological horror. ;) )

Killing in the Name - Rage Against the Machine (this is apparently my theme song according to everyone who knows me - "I won't do what you tell me!")

Speaking of writing and music - does anyone else listen to story songs and to when in the story the music is quiet and when it flourishes and when it repeats a theme from earlier? A really good example is Country Death Song by the Violent Femmes. Also, if you look up the official concert video for Apocalyptica's version of In the Hall of the Mountain King - the music itself tells a story and the movement of the stage lights also says something to me about story pacing and the tone and rhythm of the words.