Re: World Cup!!!

Post by steve » July 1st, 2010, 9:28 pm

Brazil has no answer to Robben!

Read one of the best stories by Borges.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 2nd, 2010, 11:34 am

Iron Robben!

And. Oh. My. God. Melo is an idiot. The own goal was no big deal, he barely touched it, but stepping on Robben and getting booked out of the match was the single most boneheaded move of the tournament so far! He may have cost his side the match.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 2nd, 2010, 11:55 am

What a crazy but great game!!! I can't believe Brazil's been knocked out.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 2nd, 2010, 12:29 pm

I know, I know! That was awesome. I love love love the Netherlands for this. And I wouldn't want to be in Melo's shoes right now. Oh boy, no.

Sad to say for Argentina, but a fortune-telling octopus predicted they'd lose to Germany.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 2nd, 2010, 5:06 pm

Claudie wrote:I know, I know! That was awesome. I love love love the Netherlands for this. And I wouldn't want to be in Melo's shoes right now. Oh boy, no.

Sad to say for Argentina, but a fortune-telling octopus predicted they'd lose to Germany.
It doesn't take an octopus to guess at that. No one is playing quite as inspired as Germany in this year's cup. Still funny though.

AND OH MY GOD!!! AFRICA was in for the very first time ever. Then Gyan choked ... are they going to let him shoot again in the shootout? I don't suppose they have much choice. I know as an American I'm supposed to be against Ghana but I have to say I think it would be great to see an African side make the semi for the first time ever.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 2nd, 2010, 5:26 pm

Now that was a crazy finish. Oh, the hand of God...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 3rd, 2010, 12:55 am

Now I'm crying a little on the inside. It's not only Gyan that choked: the two missed shootouts on Ghana's side were horrible penalty shots.

I wonder how Suarez feels about this. On one hand, he saved his team with that hand. On the other, it's completely illegal, and now he's missing the next game. With only Forlan left up there, I'm not sure Uruguay can stand against the Netherlands. Brazil could not. (That remains my happy fact of the day).

It looks like we might have neighbours in the final. I do hope that if Germany gets through Argentina, they'll also beat Spain. Bryan's right: they've been playing some great football since the World Cup began.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 3rd, 2010, 12:50 pm

That was a beautiful display of football by Germany. The Beautiful Game? Indeed. That was a thrashing, though they're going to miss Muller in the Semis. I mean, that guy never had an international appearance and gets his firt five in the World Cup... and scores four goals? As a 20 year old midfielder? That kid is on fire. They're looking hard to beat. But I'm interested to see what Spain does. They have a lot of technical briliance, and that short passing game of theirs is hard to handle. Can Paraguay soak up all the pressure? I doubt it, but you never know... Ghana taught us to always expect the unexpected, if nothing else.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 3rd, 2010, 3:19 pm

Ted's bracket is looking better every day. Germany and Holland in the final? It's looking likely.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 3rd, 2010, 4:02 pm

You're right, we shouldn't count Paraguay out yet. Although they haven't shown Ghana's solidity yet, they could well surprise everyone. (I'm not sure what the score is at the moment. I'm barely starting the game).

I have to say, Germany is beautiful to watch. They're quick and efficient, and will make you pay for every mistake. So much fun.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Germany is looking completely unstoppable, not just in this world cup but the next one as well. An incredible combination of speed, skill, and strength. And lots of them are only barely in their twenties??

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 4th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Germany is looking completely unstoppable, not just in this world cup but the next one as well. An incredible combination of speed, skill, and strength. And lots of them are only barely in their twenties??
I have to agree Nathan. I realize missing Muller will hurt but I don't think that's nearly enough to stop them. They've got enough skilled attacking players they could probably do without two of them.

steve

Post by steve » July 5th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Who is number one?

That's right, you are!

The left foot of God!
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » July 6th, 2010, 8:19 pm

My heart's in Holland but my brain says Bundesrepublik! I won't consider Spain for now.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » July 6th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Lol, I'm torn. I cheer for Germany... but I picked Spain in our little pool. Oh, what to do, what to do?