World Cup!!!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Post Reply
User avatar
Bryan Russell/Ink
Posts: 430
Joined: December 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 27th, 2010, 12:03 pm

Well, that's that. Could've been a different game... count the goal for England, or if Lampard's free kick had dipped in... but it did look like Germany was the better team. England's lack of pace got horribly exposed on the German counter attacks. And yet England had other options... Why did they insist on continuing with Barry, Gerrard and Lampard together? Good players, but not a good combination. Slow, slow, slow... I mean, Barry got whupped on that last goal - horribly beaten by Ozil for pace. They did miss some of the injured players, like Ferdinand, Beckham, Hargreaves, King, etc. But still.

Looking forward to see what this German side does going forward. They play some stylish football.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 27th, 2010, 2:02 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Well, that's that. Could've been a different game... count the goal for England, or if Lampard's free kick had dipped in... but it did look like Germany was the better team. England's lack of pace got horribly exposed on the German counter attacks. And yet England had other options... Why did they insist on continuing with Barry, Gerrard and Lampard together? Good players, but not a good combination. Slow, slow, slow... I mean, Barry got whupped on that last goal - horribly beaten by Ozil for pace. They did miss some of the injured players, like Ferdinand, Beckham, Hargreaves, King, etc. But still.

Looking forward to see what this German side does going forward. They play some stylish football.
As much as I hate to admit it you do have to give Germany some credit. For such a young team with no real superstars (with Ballack out) they really have been playing inspired football. Why is it that I don't want to see them succeed? Oh well. It's probably just that after today I no longer have a dog in the fight.

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 27th, 2010, 2:15 pm

Also, for some reason I have a hard time listening to Alexei Lalas' analysis. Probably because I'll always think of this:

Image

I prefer Ruud Gullit, or Steve Mcmanaman. My favorite announcer/play by play guy is by far Ally McCoist. I'm curious to know who others like. Bryan? Nathan?

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Claudie » June 27th, 2010, 3:02 pm

So, late to the party again (I worked this morning), but... ouch, there goes England. I had hope by the end of the first half (despite that horrible call), but the Germans dominated that second half. They have earned my respect, and now let's see how Argentina does.

Out of curiosity, now that England and the US are out, who are you guys rooting for?
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 27th, 2010, 4:42 pm

And another team falls to inexplicable officiating. I feel that I need to make a point here. Of course the argument can be made that neither Germany nor Argentina needed the calls that were so unfairly handed to them. Both teams dominated the play after the disputed calls in their respected matches. And there is that saying in Boxing that if you don't want to leave the bout up to a decision by the judges, simply knock the other man out.

But Soccer is not like other sports. In the NBA a technical foul is only worth one free throw and possession (3 points max out of an average of about 100). In the NFL even a pass interference call that essentially gives away a touch down does not often end up being the difference in the game. In Futbol a call that gives away an unearned goal (Tevez offsides) or takes away an earned one (Lampard's sniper shot) can very well be the entire difference. Soccer is all about inspiration, creativity, and chemistry. If a side loses heart because they've been robbed of a goal (in a game where 1-0 is a huge margin) they're all but done.

I'm all for no replays and no technology deciding ticky-tack fouls in the middle of play (these are and should be at the discretion of the referee) but when it comes to calls that decide a goal something must be done. It's 2010 FIFA. What are they going to do if one of these calls plays a role in the Final? Or even the Semi-Final? I don't blame the Aztec Warriors for nearly starting a row at half time.

Oh and since you asked Claudie, I'll now be pulling for Holland/The Netherlands ... though their hopes are slim.

Jen P
Posts: 15
Joined: December 6th, 2009, 3:13 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Jen P » June 27th, 2010, 5:18 pm

For such a young team with no real superstars (with Ballack out)
well Podolski is a hero in Bayern, as is Miroslav Klose. They are both quite experienced too, and it shows in their teamwork. But on this woeful day for unlucky decisions and missed opportunities I'd like to share this inspiring quote from one of today's players which is most apt for a writing life too: a quote from Ozil, given to the Guardian, that best sums up the German team’s multiculturalism - and sheds some light on his method of success, his combination of creativity, passion and discipline:

“My technique and feeling for the ball is the Turkish side to my game. The discipline, attitude, and always-give-your-all is the German part.”

Let's not look back on what we see as incorrect decisions from the officials (like agents or publishers) or mistakes or poor timing, but be creative, passionate and disciplined to get the result we want. And be patient, it might take another four years.

User avatar
Bryan Russell/Ink
Posts: 430
Joined: December 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 27th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Jen P wrote:
For such a young team with no real superstars (with Ballack out)
well Podolski is a hero in Bayern, as is Miroslav Klose. They are both quite experienced too, and it shows in their teamwork. But on this woeful day for unlucky decisions and missed opportunities I'd like to share this inspiring quote from one of today's players which is most apt for a writing life too: a quote from Ozil, given to the Guardian, that best sums up the German team’s multiculturalism - and sheds some light on his method of success, his combination of creativity, passion and discipline:

“My technique and feeling for the ball is the Turkish side to my game. The discipline, attitude, and always-give-your-all is the German part.”

Let's not look back on what we see as incorrect decisions from the officials (like agents or publishers) or mistakes or poor timing, but be creative, passionate and disciplined to get the result we want. And be patient, it might take another four years.
The kid can certainly play.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

User avatar
Bryan Russell/Ink
Posts: 430
Joined: December 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 27th, 2010, 5:27 pm

Claudie wrote:Out of curiosity, now that England and the US are out, who are you guys rooting for?
Well, I was going for England and Germany... sort of a win/lose situation no matter how I cut it. I was hoping they'd hook up in the Finals... but I'll just have to cheer for Germany now. Should be a dandy against Argentina...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

User avatar
Bryan Russell/Ink
Posts: 430
Joined: December 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 27th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Matthew Rush wrote:And another team falls to inexplicable officiating. I feel that I need to make a point here. Of course the argument can be made that neither Germany nor Argentina needed the calls that were so unfairly handed to them. Both teams dominated the play after the disputed calls in their respected matches. And there is that saying in Boxing that if you don't want to leave the bout up to a decision by the judges, simply knock the other man out.

But Soccer is not like other sports. In the NBA a technical foul is only worth one free throw and possession (3 points max out of an average of about 100). In the NFL even a pass interference call that essentially gives away a touch down does not often end up being the difference in the game. In Futbol a call that gives away an unearned goal (Tevez offsides) or takes away an earned one (Lampard's sniper shot) can very well be the entire difference. Soccer is all about inspiration, creativity, and chemistry. If a side loses heart because they've been robbed of a goal (in a game where 1-0 is a huge margin) they're all but done.

I'm all for no replays and no technology deciding ticky-tack fouls in the middle of play (these are and should be at the discretion of the referee) but when it comes to calls that decide a goal something must be done. It's 2010 FIFA. What are they going to do if one of these calls plays a role in the Final? Or even the Semi-Final? I don't blame the Aztec Warriors for nearly starting a row at half time.

Oh and since you asked Claudie, I'll now be pulling for Holland/The Netherlands ... though their hopes are slim.
I think the most important thing about the calls is that it forces the tactics to change for the teams that are behind. England, with time running out, had to start throwing everybody forward and taking chances. Germany hit them with two quick counter attacks. Now, those were chances they wouldn't have to take if the game were 2-2 rather than 2-1...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Claudie » June 27th, 2010, 5:35 pm

I agree with you, Matthew. Every goal counts in football, and when that single decision can change the course of a game, they should be allowed to watch replays. It's not even like they'd waste a lot of time: with technology today, it would not be any longer than treating some of the wounded players. It would only be fair to the players.

Germany against Argentina is going to be one hell of a game.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 28th, 2010, 6:03 am

Jen P wrote:
For such a young team with no real superstars (with Ballack out)
well Podolski is a hero in Bayern, as is Miroslav Klose. They are both quite experienced too, and it shows in their teamwork. But on this woeful day for unlucky decisions and missed opportunities I'd like to share this inspiring quote from one of today's players which is most apt for a writing life too: a quote from Ozil, given to the Guardian, that best sums up the German team’s multiculturalism - and sheds some light on his method of success, his combination of creativity, passion and discipline:

“My technique and feeling for the ball is the Turkish side to my game. The discipline, attitude, and always-give-your-all is the German part.”

Let's not look back on what we see as incorrect decisions from the officials (like agents or publishers) or mistakes or poor timing, but be creative, passionate and disciplined to get the result we want. And be patient, it might take another four years.
I have no doubt that Podolski and Klose are heroes in their country (Muller as well I'm sure). I also imagine that their international recognition will now be solidified. I only meant that the team had no superstars and still played a hell of a game. I'm not the most knowledgeable football fan in the world, but I had never heard of any of those players until this World Cup. They were all too young to play for the national side in 2006 correct?

User avatar
Bryan Russell/Ink
Posts: 430
Joined: December 20th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 28th, 2010, 7:42 am

Matt,

Well, Ozil and Muller and Khedira and those chaps are all really young. But But Schweinsteigger and Podolski have been there before, and Klose is on his third or fourth World Cup, and he's only two goals away from breaking the German record. But, yeah, Ballack was the big star that everybody knew. It's a pretty young team, really. But they can certainly play. The young guys have been so calm and poised...
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 28th, 2010, 1:19 pm

Ah well, shows what I know as a casual fan. The only German Footballers I recognize by name are (we're) Ballack and Kahn.

User avatar
Matthew MacNish
Posts: 285
Joined: March 5th, 2010, 4:31 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 29th, 2010, 6:07 am

I have to say I really am looking forward to this match up of Brazil vs. the Netherlands. I really hope Ally McCoist gets to call the game because every time Arjen Robben touches the ball and Ally mentions his name it sounds like he's calling him Iron Robin - which should probably be his nickname anyway.

User avatar
Marla Warren
Posts: 43
Joined: December 7th, 2009, 9:14 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Marla Warren » June 30th, 2010, 10:48 pm

“Good writing should be smooth, clear and short, and the art of saying little in much must be avoided at all costs.”
--Benjamin Franklin

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 7 guests