So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
r louis scott
Posts: 118
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by r louis scott » June 11th, 2010, 3:12 pm

Well, I decided to enter because even though my manuscript is not totally where I want it to be yet, my first two paragraphs are finished :)

User avatar
SM Schmidt
Posts: 5
Joined: April 8th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by SM Schmidt » June 11th, 2010, 3:29 pm

I think the last thing anyone wants on a forum is a clique that intimidates new people from posting or entering contests. I know my post count isn't all that high because frankly I spend more time reading then actually posting. Good advice is best put into practice rather than regurgitated.

Between blogging, twitter, and the manuscript it had better be a strong opinion or helpful tip to be worth taking time away from my writing time to post here. Busy lives don't always allow for as much participation as I wish and I'm sure other people feel the same.
Schmidtty
The Blog
Twitter

User avatar
charlotte49ers
Posts: 281
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by charlotte49ers » June 11th, 2010, 3:43 pm

Hey, I'm all for new people joining in! I run a parenting forum and know new people just make it better! :-) Plus, this forum is an extension of the blog, so it's all the same, really.

And don't be scared to enter things that aren't perfect! Honestly, that's when I like to enter stuff because it helps me correct mistakes early on so I don't continue making them, if that makes sense. :-)

ddelano
Posts: 6
Joined: February 12th, 2010, 4:46 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by ddelano » June 11th, 2010, 3:55 pm

I entered, and I only have a few other comments posted. Sorry if this bothers anyone - I am pretty new to this site, and am so swamped with other items of life (kids, work), that by the time I get to read Nathan's blog post there are already so many comments posted that I can't imagine anyone would want to read another one.
Since it appears to be an issue, I will try to participate more. And I too just found the forums, so I can certainly waste lots of time with that!!
ddelano

sooper
Posts: 11
Joined: December 12th, 2009, 8:05 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by sooper » June 11th, 2010, 4:22 pm

wildheart wrote:I think anyone who entered and that is their only forum post shouldn't be able to be picked, but that's just me. I'm prickly like that.
But it's not just a contest for this exclusive "forum family." It' for anyone who reads Nathan's blog. I read it every day and come to the forums very often but I'm more of a reader, less of a poster.

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by Claudie » June 11th, 2010, 4:49 pm

Margo wrote:Only one day? You have lots of catching up to do! I think my first time into the forums, I emerged in a daze a week later.
Now that sounds like what I'm going through. I'm refreshing these forums more often than I am my inbox. Something is WRONG.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
Emily White
Posts: 77
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 2:25 pm
Location: Lockport, NY
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by Emily White » June 11th, 2010, 4:59 pm

ddelano wrote:I entered, and I only have a few other comments posted. Sorry if this bothers anyone - I am pretty new to this site, and am so swamped with other items of life (kids, work), that by the time I get to read Nathan's blog post there are already so many comments posted that I can't imagine anyone would want to read another one.
Since it appears to be an issue, I will try to participate more. And I too just found the forums, so I can certainly waste lots of time with that!!
ddelano
I wouldn't worry about it. Nathan started the contest for people who follow the blog, not us forumites. I'm more of a reader myself. I come often, but comment rarely. :D

Edit:

I should clarify because it looks like I'm telling you to be inactive. What I meant to say was that you shouldn't feel guilted into participating around the forums. :D
Last edited by Emily White on June 11th, 2010, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find out about ELEMENTAL, my YA Space Opera (available June 21, 2011) on my blog and ELEMENTAL's facebook fan page

User avatar
February
Posts: 27
Joined: June 10th, 2010, 5:24 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by February » June 11th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I did though I have no wild dreams of the generator picking mine. I just don't have any luck with stuff like this or contests in general.

Honestly, the reason I put mine up there is because I admire everybody else who did (and all the folks who put their hearts out there in the action contest last week man, I was holding my breath on the results of that one even though I knew I didn't have a prayer) and I enjoyed reading all your work so much that I wanted to gut up and put mine out there too.

Trying to build up the nerve to send out my third, fourth..fifth query...

Thanks to everyone who put their work out there. Brave souls, you are, and it's fascinating reading. I love seeing what the people who comment on the blogs write for their novels.

bru

User avatar
charlotte49ers
Posts: 281
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by charlotte49ers » June 11th, 2010, 5:37 pm

February wrote:I did though I have no wild dreams of the generator picking mine. I just don't have any luck with stuff like this or contests in general.

Honestly, the reason I put mine up there is because I admire everybody else who did (and all the folks who put their hearts out there in the action contest last week man, I was holding my breath on the results of that one even though I knew I didn't have a prayer) and I enjoyed reading all your work so much that I wanted to gut up and put mine out there too.

Trying to build up the nerve to send out my third, fourth..fifth query...

Thanks to everyone who put their work out there. Brave souls, you are, and it's fascinating reading. I love seeing what the people who comment on the blogs write for their novels.

bru
You and me both. :)

r louis scott
Posts: 118
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:36 pm
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by r louis scott » June 11th, 2010, 5:40 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:
February wrote:I did though I have no wild dreams of the generator picking mine. I just don't have any luck with stuff like this or contests in general.

Honestly, the reason I put mine up there is because I admire everybody else who did (and all the folks who put their hearts out there in the action contest last week man, I was holding my breath on the results of that one even though I knew I didn't have a prayer) and I enjoyed reading all your work so much that I wanted to gut up and put mine out there too.

Trying to build up the nerve to send out my third, fourth..fifth query...

Thanks to everyone who put their work out there. Brave souls, you are, and it's fascinating reading. I love seeing what the people who comment on the blogs write for their novels.

bru
You and me both. :)
But it's got to be way better than hanging out on Monday morning...

Waiting...

Watching...

Refreshing...

:)

User avatar
charlotte49ers
Posts: 281
Joined: January 14th, 2010, 7:35 pm
Location: Georgia
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by charlotte49ers » June 11th, 2010, 5:54 pm

God, yes.

And then the cursing that follows when you see the four or so people who were quicker than you.

Claudie
Posts: 707
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 3:57 pm
Location: Quebec
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by Claudie » June 11th, 2010, 6:01 pm

charlotte49ers wrote:God, yes.

And then the cursing that follows when you see the four or so people who were quicker than you.
Or cursing before you had to go to the bathroom, and when you came back the post was up.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

User avatar
BCarle
Posts: 8
Joined: June 9th, 2010, 4:00 pm
Location: Realm of the Inland Emperor, California
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by BCarle » June 11th, 2010, 7:04 pm

I entered. Perhaps I'm into pain -- the pain of never winning a random drawing and the pain of discovering the true extent to which I am a hack, should I be selected. ;)

Yes, it's my first post on the forum. I'm a daily reader of NB's blog, but I never noticed the forums. I already feel like I've benefited from the contest by discovering such a great site. I look forward to participating more.
Stuff. Things. Blog. Untitlement

User avatar
Gina Frost
Posts: 32
Joined: June 4th, 2010, 1:33 pm
Location: Missouri
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by Gina Frost » June 11th, 2010, 7:13 pm

I entered and then went back and read everyone else's. All I can say is, it is a good thing I am not a literary agent. I would end up spending more time reading than submitting to publishers because almost every single one left me wanting to read more. What can I say, all of you that share your stories on here have me hooked and I must admit, a little intimidated. How could I ever measure up? Your writing skills and critiquing skills are better than mine but I have tried, before and after entering and I will continue trying. Maybe it will help me improve, even if just a little.

User avatar
Regan Leigh
Posts: 207
Joined: January 15th, 2010, 4:24 am
Contact:

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by Regan Leigh » June 11th, 2010, 8:36 pm

Bah, I entered because each time I post my stuff or enter a contest, I delude myself into thinking it toughens my skin. *Ignore recent rejection blog post. ;)* Seriously. When we make a decision to seek publishing, it only makes sense to practice being vulnerable.

And I welcome the new people! :) I learn so much from the fellow writers I've gotten to know online. It makes this solitary pursuit more bearable.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests