Favorite drink while writing (or procrastinating)?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Matthew MacNish

Favorite drink while writing (or procrastinating)?

Post by Matthew MacNish » April 2nd, 2010, 8:07 pm

Just brought home my first bottle of Geikkikan. Right now drinking it on ice with a twist of lemon and a grate of peel. It's good but tastes a little like Vodka and water.

I definitely prefer it hot with fresh sushi, preferably Toro, Sake and Hamachi, raw and cold. Anyone ever had Sake at home before?

Not writing at the moment BTW, just forum posts, getting ready for the Hawks/Cavs game, wonder if we can beat the Eastern Powerhouse like we took the Lakers to the woodshed last night. Nathan, that was for you sir.

r louis scott

Re: Favorite drink while writing (or procrastinating)?

Post by r louis scott » April 3rd, 2010, 1:47 am

When the weather is cool, I like a nice cup of coffee liberally laced with brandy. If I feel that I have been especially productive I will treat myself and drop a Hershey's Kiss into the mug. This of course is a Friday/Saturday night thing, since that coffee will keep you going into the wee hours.

Typically, however, I take some Canadian whiskey and pour it over some ice cubes. Not too many ice cubes. Maybe three. Four if they are small but almost never five. Well, five if they are very small but never six. If I get six ice cubes in my glass I give one to my dog. She considers it a delicacy and chomps on them with great gusto.

r louis scott

Post by r louis scott » April 4th, 2010, 9:23 pm

Matthew Rush wrote:Sounds tasty.
Pretty good. Sometimes I stretch it out a bit by adding a maraschino cherry and a touch of vermouth. I take the extra steps when I need to ponder before sitting back down at the keyboard. Back when I was a smoker that was my pause, but now I sometimes need something else.

abc

Post by abc » April 4th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Port!

gonzo2802

Post by gonzo2802 » April 5th, 2010, 1:39 pm

Geez, ya bunch of lushes! ;o)

I just came in here to say Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha, but now I feel kind of square.

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » April 5th, 2010, 5:02 pm

I drink Rockstars, either the Sugar-Free one or the Zero Carb one. The first time I ever had one, I wrote almost 5k that day. Good stuff too! Ever since then, I've been trying to recapture the magic of that writing day. It hasn't happened, sadly. ;-) The closest I've come is maybe 3k in a day.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » April 6th, 2010, 12:06 pm

I'm with you gonzo, I was coming in to say a nice steaming mug of English Breakfast, Green Ginger, or Mandarin Orange Spice (those are TEAS for you uncultured people out there :-P ). I get sleepy when I drink and I can't have any alcohol on the medication I take anyway so I steer clear of it. When I did drink I either went for rum & Coke or a nice Moscato (sp? It's a sweet white wine).

I do believe it was the great C.S. Lewis who said "There is no book long enough or cup of tea large enough to suit me." (I think I need to go read Narnia again now!)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

A.M.Kuska

Post by A.M.Kuska » April 6th, 2010, 10:33 pm

I go to starbucks when I need to focus, and anymore, to get away from puppy. I order a "surprise" which is whatever the lady feels like making me. No black coffee. No tea. ^^

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » April 7th, 2010, 8:23 pm

Definitely, Starbucks mocha latte grande. I had two yesterday and two today, and managed to complete a complicated outline. :)
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

miahayson
Location: In the depths of INSANITY (but occasionally present in Scotland)

Post by miahayson » April 8th, 2010, 4:36 am

dios4vida wrote:I'm with you gonzo, I was coming in to say a nice steaming mug of English Breakfast, Green Ginger, or Mandarin Orange Spice (those are TEAS for you uncultured people out there :-P ).

Tea all the way! Drinking makes for really fun writing but not so brilliant reading in my case so I stick with the Tea :~)

ganstream1

Post by ganstream1 » April 8th, 2010, 9:17 am

Plain water...

Or coffee if there's any left...
Read my blog novel at: Aku-Stories

charlotte49ers

Post by charlotte49ers » April 10th, 2010, 9:49 pm

I love a cool glass of Pinot Grigio beside me when I write. It relaxes you *just* enough. And it tastes good, too. :)

lexcade

Post by lexcade » April 11th, 2010, 12:42 am

i like hot chocolate with a little (or a lot, depending on my mood and the need) of royal crown. it's soooooo good.

i've also fallen in love with that drink that tastes like chocolate cake... mmm....

i don't drink when i write, but i might start.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

Quill

Post by Quill » April 11th, 2010, 12:10 pm

Whiskey, straight up.

Kidding.

A stout mug of coffee is a great way to start a writing day, although in deference to my kidneys I partake in this only some mornings. On others green tea.

In the evening relaxing, reviewing my glowing prose of the day, I might indulge in a nice lemon Perrier with Pepsi, half and half, an uber-fizzy treat.