Contest ideas?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Mira

Re: Contest ideas?

Post by Mira » April 6th, 2010, 12:31 pm

These are great ideas!

In terms of what contest to hold, it may depend upon upon your goal. If you're looking for a potential client, then having someone post a part of their WIP...... First paragraph is good for this. But you could also ask people to describe their protagonist, their antagonist, their conflict - and award for the best, most interesting, most off-beat, etc. One idea is to have more than one catagory of winner - most dramatic, most humorous, most tragic, etc.

If it's just for fun, a writing prompt is good for that. A funny picture is fun. Another fun one is a list of words - someone earlier mentioned that.

If it's in preparation for a book release, then a prompt on a theme. For example, most dramatic fight scene, adventure in a foreign land, or an ode to the theme, or use of a word a certain number of times.

If the point of the contest is to make me happy (always a notable goal) then a debate, with laurels to the winner. :)

Looking forward to the contest whatever you choose - thanks.

JulieanneReeves

Post by JulieanneReeves » April 6th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I think it should be something educational. That is, after all, why we are here. Aside from Nathan's humor.
I'd love to see log lines/hooks.
Maybe you could pick the top three or five?

christi

Post by christi » April 7th, 2010, 10:23 pm

What about random prompts? Sort of like Clue, I guess.
"Mr Peacock. In the Library. With the wrech."

Only, being random, it incorporates more literary works and ideas.
"Professor McGonnagall. In Lothlorian. With the Golden Ticket."

Okay. lame example. But a short crossover work based on maybe three or four lists of mix/match charries, settings, props, maybe? Or if you don't feel ambitious enough to make lists, just say free reign of crossover charrie/place/object/etc. so long as it's mixed up.

Mr Darcy on the Knight Bus in Neverland? Captain Ahab in Brigadoon with Excalibur?
Would you sign my story for a Klondike bar?

http://christigoddard.blogspot.com/

Regan Leigh

Post by Regan Leigh » April 9th, 2010, 3:28 pm

Writing prompts are the most fun to me. I liked the diary contest, even though work was too crazy that week for me to enter anything.

The very hardest writing prompt I've ever done involved writing a scene where the characters couldn't speak. They had to communicate and a good scene needed to be written, but no words could be said. It really challenges you to avoid cliche gestures and find an interesting way to show rather than tell.

I also like the elevator pitch idea. :)