Are eBooks already over the hill?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
DeadSchool

Are eBooks already over the hill?

Post by DeadSchool » February 24th, 2010, 9:04 am

Citation:
>>Ingram's Skip Prichard answered the question "Are e-books dead?": "There is no fundamental right to survive,". Given the "speed of innovation," the e-books of today will be gone tomorrow. As a company, forget about focusing broadly and instead refocus on your core, your "unique differentiator"- limit variables for yourself and your consumer, he said.

Thomas Burchfield

Re: Are eBooks already over the hill?

Post by Thomas Burchfield » February 26th, 2010, 6:48 pm

Interesting you should ask that question, because I've posted an account of my experience with putting up an e-book (at Smashwords) and the thoughts it provoked over at: http://www.redroom.com/articlestory/eph ... publishing

Thanks!
My contemporary Dracula novel DRAGON'S ARK is now available in paperback and e-book from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Powell's Books, Scrib'd and Smashwords. Find me at http://tbdeluxe.blogspot.com/

SXBrase

Post by SXBrase » March 4th, 2010, 1:15 pm

I haven't read Thomas' blog post yet, but, in light of the topic, a NY Times article two days ago has new stats that show e-books outnumber games in the iphone app store or whatever. Books outpacing games? Does not sound like they're dead to me.

http://www.nytimes.com/external/gigaom/ ... 36276.html

kristi

Post by kristi » March 4th, 2010, 10:35 pm

As this topic makes my eyes cross, I trust Nathan's opinion on this issue. He doesn't seem to think eBooks are going over the hill anytime soon, and several members of my book club just switched to e-readers which has blown my mind.

Thomas Burchfield

Post by Thomas Burchfield » March 5th, 2010, 8:19 pm

I wouldn't say they're over the hill, oh no. They're here to stay all right. But while they might be available on the hard drive or server forever, doesn't anymore guarantee they'll be read. What we have--if we don't already--is an overwhelming case of white noise.

The thing about downloading an e-book--at least for me, and I wouldn't be surprised if others felt the same--is that I would have to read it *right away*. Because the longer I wait, the more I'll forget that it's there as other as other files pile up around it. I'm already seeing a little of this in my own readers of my Red Room blog. They like my work, but with so much material pouring from everywhere and no filter . . . .
My contemporary Dracula novel DRAGON'S ARK is now available in paperback and e-book from Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Powell's Books, Scrib'd and Smashwords. Find me at http://tbdeluxe.blogspot.com/

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 8th, 2010, 2:41 pm

They're here to stay, and they're only going to get better.

A.M.Kuska

Post by A.M.Kuska » March 8th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I serialized my 2006 NaNoWriMo novel online in order to build a readership. I've got well over 1,000 readers now, and the list keeps climbing. Given my hits, my subscription list, my followers on twitter and the comments that pour in as each new chapter comes out, I'm pretty confident in the enjoyability of online reading. My hope is that e-books will continue to grow.