Min and Max for saleable manuscript

News, trends, and the future of publishing
casnow

Min and Max for saleable manuscript

Post by casnow » December 12th, 2009, 4:55 am

I keep reading on a number of different blogs that you don't want to make it hard on yourself by writing a novel that is "too long" or "too short". So, does anyone have an idea of what publishers consider the absolute minimum and maximum word counts?

Nathan, if you had the most brilliantly written 48k word novel sitting on your desk, could you sell it? What about a brilliant 200k word novel where you thought every word was needed? Which would be the harder sale?

shadow

Re: Min and Max for saleable manuscript

Post by shadow » December 12th, 2009, 6:35 pm

perfect wordcount is in between 80,000 and 110,000 read Nathans post its very helpful!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

casnow

Post by casnow » December 13th, 2009, 3:49 am

Thanks guys.

Nathan - is there a way to Search the Blog? Obviously there is the big "Search" button for the forum, but I can't find it for the blog anymore. i knew you had done this post in the past, but i couldn't search function after the website redesign.

Cam

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 13th, 2009, 8:27 pm

casnow wrote:Thanks guys.

Nathan - is there a way to Search the Blog? Obviously there is the big "Search" button for the forum, but I can't find it for the blog anymore. i knew you had done this post in the past, but i couldn't search function after the website redesign.

Cam
No, there isn't one for the blog, though the best way to search the blog is really just to google my name and the topic.

Kaitlyne

Post by Kaitlyne » December 16th, 2009, 2:54 am

He covers an awful lot in the FAQ, too, though. I'm about 99.9% certain this one is included there, and it's a great place to start. I also tend to browse the tags on the side. :)