Cell Phone Novel: teen grosses $611,000

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Holly

Cell Phone Novel: teen grosses $611,000

Post by Holly » February 11th, 2010, 1:37 am

Here's an interesting article from the LA Times, Feb. 9, 2010, by Yuriko Nagano:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation-and- ... ?track=rss

"For Japan's cellphone novelists, proof of success is in the print
One teenager who wrote a three-volume novel on her phone has gone on to sell more than 110,000 paperback copies, grossing more than $611,000 in sales..."

marilyn peake

Re: Cell Phone Novel: teen grosses $611,000

Post by marilyn peake » February 11th, 2010, 2:32 am

Holy camoly!!
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

PoppysInARow

Re: Cell Phone Novel: teen grosses $611,000

Post by PoppysInARow » February 13th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Yeah, but did it sell well because of her writing or because of the novelty of writing an entire novel on a cell phone?

"Miku was in a pink one-piece dress, wearing white heels. She looks mature because her hair is lightly curled. She's looking straight at me. It's hard to keep my cool when she's looking at me like that." <-- The glaring tense change in this line makes me think the latter.

Which also makes me wonder if an editor looked at the novel. I mean, seriously? I guess we'll find out if Bunny tries to write another novel. Methinks the novel will flop.
Insert Witty Signature Here.