Who are the trendsetters?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
gilesth

Who are the trendsetters?

Post by gilesth » February 8th, 2010, 7:47 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while, and considering that I write fantasy and sci-fi, my conclusion is that nerds set many of the trends that we see in popular culture today...especially in the genres that I write for. I go more in depth in my blog (link in the sig) but I'm curious who you see as the trendsetters in pop culture, and specifically in the genre that you write. For the sake of education, let me declare that I am a nerd, and just because someone may share a nerd's taste in literature, it doesn't make them a nerd. I don't want anyone to accuse me of using an offensive term (it's not the "r" word, after all), and I would never accuse anyone who hasn't declared themselves to be a nerd of being a nerd. SO, on to the discussion :D

JustineDell

Re: Who are the trendsetters?

Post by JustineDell » February 8th, 2010, 7:57 pm

There is but one trendsetter in my genre (romance) that keeps coming to mind. One of my critique partners called her "Prolific" and I agree: Nora Roberts.

And, I don't find 'nerd' offensive at all. It just so happens I call myself that sometimes - only for a different reason.

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

gilesth

Post by gilesth » February 8th, 2010, 8:03 pm

Nora Roberts definitely sets trends! Can you point to any specific group of people who would be considered the Alpha Consumers of that genre? The type of demographic you specifically aspire to "please". In romance, there's a wide range of people who pick them up (including businessmen!), so I'd guess that the alpha consumers could be anyone from Vanity Fair readers to the knitting magazine gurus! :D

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » February 9th, 2010, 3:58 pm

I recently read BONESHAKER by Cherie Priest, and I would definitely consider her a trendsetter in both sci fi and steampunk.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Elizabeth Poole

Post by Elizabeth Poole » February 11th, 2010, 11:35 pm

I would say that in the Urban Fantasy genre (my main genre) Laurel K Hamilton and Jim Butcher set the trend the rest of the authors are following, with mixed results. It's getting a little formulaic now, though, so I am sensing a “reboot” in the genre soon. Something different than the hardened P.I. fighting this author’s version of the Real World with fantasy mixed in. Especially since fantasy itself is becoming far, far more mainstream.

Part of me worries, needlessly, that by the time I get my books published that the publishing world will be “fantasied-out”. I know this is silly, since I have been writing fantasy for years, when it wasn’t popular, and I am not going to stop just because it’s popular now. It’s just one of those niggling writer’s fears that I had to ‘fess up to. I feel better now. ;)
Proud owner of a Plot Wolverine

http://writerelizabethpoole.blogspot.com/

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » February 12th, 2010, 8:16 am

gilesth wrote:Nora Roberts definitely sets trends! Can you point to any specific group of people who would be considered the Alpha Consumers of that genre? The type of demographic you specifically aspire to "please". In romance, there's a wide range of people who pick them up (including businessmen!), so I'd guess that the alpha consumers could be anyone from Vanity Fair readers to the knitting magazine gurus! :D
The consumers are numerous to say the least. From ages 18-83 the romance genre in general has a very wide market - that's why I think is has, and will continue to do well even in tough times. I think the sub-genres help pull even a wider market (paranormal, historical, inspirational). So yeah, everything to the grandma who goes to church on Sunday, to the woman who has a corner office at a fortune 500 company, and a stay-a-home mom with 3 kids. There's something for everyone because everyone loves a good story with a promise of a happy ever after.
~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"