B&N break-up proposed

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Doug Pardee

B&N break-up proposed

Post by Doug Pardee » February 25th, 2013, 6:10 pm

[Not specifically about publishing]

For those who haven't heard, Len Riggio, chairman of Barnes and Noble, has proposed to buy out (and take private) the B&N Retail division, which includes the trade bookstores and bn.com web site. That would leave the NOOK Media operation to stand on its own. NOOK Media includes the NOOK and e-book operations, plus the B&N College Bookstores.

Presumably, this would require splitting off the part of bn.com that sells e-books to stay with NOOK Media. That isn't clear, though.

B&N's trade bookstores continue to be profitable, but the profit generally ends up paying for the losses from bn.com and NOOK Media. B&N will be releasing its third-quarter (November, December, January) financial results on Thursday, and has given early warnings that the numbers won't be good, especially for NOOK Media. The New York Times reports rumors that B&N will announce changes to their business, perhaps de-emphasizing the production of NOOK hardware, at the same time. B&N's 3Q13 financial results were originally scheduled to be released last Tuesday, the 19th.

longknife

Re: B&N break-up proposed

Post by longknife » February 26th, 2013, 2:37 pm

That's interesting. I found my novel available on Nook but not on the B&N site. Maybe I need to look again.
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.