Publishing a Series

News, trends, and the future of publishing
jmcooper

Publishing a Series

Post by jmcooper » January 25th, 2010, 1:46 pm

Is anyone aware of a series where the books are published out of order (on purpose)? This is something I'd love to see done with my books. It sounds confusing, but I have four books that follow three generations. Therefore there are several main characters but they are all related. For example: Book one: Jack, Book two, Liora (Jack's grandmother at a younger age), Book Three: Carey (Jack's mother at a younger age) and Book Four: back to Jack, but all characters come into the story at current ages. Is this too ambitious? Or is it interesting?

shadow

Re: Publishing a Series

Post by shadow » January 25th, 2010, 1:58 pm

Interesting Idea, and I have personally not heard it being done anywhere. Good Luck!
~shadow~
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

jmcooper

Post by jmcooper » January 25th, 2010, 2:03 pm

I think it would be kinda cool to be able to read the first three books in any order (once they were all published) because the story unfolds in all sorts of interesting ways for these different characters. It doesn't have to be published that way, I just like the idea. I'm curious if it would be a unique idea or if I'm delusional.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » January 25th, 2010, 8:30 pm

You could say that the chronicles of Narnia are that way. Since The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe is chronologically the 2nd book in the series, but is often read first.

CV

Nick

Post by Nick » January 25th, 2010, 11:14 pm

Not entirely on purpose, but the Sharpe series does this. Cornwell wrote the most exciting novel he could think of to help ensure publication and sales, figuring if it wound up being stand alone, it damned well better be a good one. First book written is 8th in the series. Final book in the series was published in 1992, about eleven years after the first written. First in terms of the series was written in '97, and most recently written (2006) is 11th in the series. Really I can run through all 24 of them. Narnia was actually written/published out of order as well. The Magician's Nephew was 6th published, but is intended as the first chronologically. Those are the only ones that spring to mind at the moment, though I'm sure I could come to think of more.

As for your idea...I don't see any problem with it. In fact it may be wiser to pull a Sharpe's Eagle and have your strongest one published first, even if it isn't first chronologically speaking. That way if it's forced to stand alone, you have a powerful standalone, and if it goes on to spawn a series, it's all there in the end.

jmcooper

Post by jmcooper » January 26th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Absolutely! the Chronicles are not chronological...how foolish of me! But I was thinking more recently, as well. Thanks for the input. Especially the idea of "strongest novel first." I tend to get hung up on a particular character starting off the series, but it doesn't have to be that way. I have two finished--the other two are about half way there--but I have this nagging feeling I will not be able (emotionally) to actively pursue publishing until I'm done with all four.

lovelylj

Post by lovelylj » January 27th, 2010, 8:51 am

It makes sense to me, even though this isn't a novel, Star Wars was done out of order for a reason A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi, 456, were far more interesting than the prequels. I don't think Star Wars would have had as many fans as it does today if they did if they had followed the story in order.

I'll say the same thing for The Vampire Lestat, the events in a good part of that book take place before Interview of a Vampire, I think in this case and in other cases, the author builds this world (trust me building a world can be fun but at the same time real work because you have to make sure it makes sense) in this world building venture, you realize that you have way more information than what you need the genesis of a character is not necessary to the book that you're writing, but in doing the world building you've got your outline for a whole 'nother book! Anne Rice couldn't just insert Lestat in Louis' life just for Interview with a Vampire he had to have existed in her mind before he met Louis.
How did he end up meeting him? Who was he before he was a vampire? (Good times. Not for Lestat, but still fun to read.)

It isn't the start of a character that makes them interesting to me until after I've met them, then I want to ask the question, how did you get like this? If The Vampire Lestat was first people would wonder, why am I reading this and why do I care about this vampire? But by Interview coming out first, you already know who he is, The Vampire Lestat is about how he got there. Queen of the Damned is about what he's going to do next, since he's parted ways with Louis.

But that's my example, stories like Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings have to be over because the progression of events are improtant to how the overall main story is carried out and presented to the reader. Unless you're Kurt Vonnegut and linear progression means absolutely nothing to you whatsoever.

btw, if you care "As of August 2009, recent talks have been underway in the continuation of 'The Vampire Chronicles' film series, with 'The Vampire Lestat' being the next film to be focused on in the series. Robert Downey Jr. is said to be up for the role of Lestat." I don't know how I feel about that. I thought they would have moved on and done the Mayfair Witches story by now, but eh, fine.
Lauren A. Johnson
http://www.laurenjohnson.me

lexcade

Post by lexcade » January 31st, 2010, 5:30 pm

lovelylj wrote:btw, if you care "As of August 2009, recent talks have been underway in the continuation of 'The Vampire Chronicles' film series, with 'The Vampire Lestat' being the next film to be focused on in the series. Robert Downey Jr. is said to be up for the role of Lestat." I don't know how I feel about that. I thought they would have moved on and done the Mayfair Witches story by now, but eh, fine.
...i don't know about that... i love RDJ, but i'm not sure he could do Lestat justice. of course, people thought tom cruise couldn't either...

i'd LOVE to see the mayfair witches on screen! that series is amazing.
"Art imitates nature as well as it can, as a pupil follows his master; thus it is sort of a grandchild of God." ~~Dante

cmrprindle

Post by cmrprindle » February 5th, 2010, 4:18 pm

I don't know if it's helpful at all, but I'm planning to publish my series (y'know if that whole picked up by an editor then a publishing house thing actually happens) out of order. In thinking about the stories I ended up having to move books around, but they're still jumping around chronologically with -- what I hope is -- the most interesting and attention grabbing book first. I'll admit that I hadn't thought about making it a standalone, just in case the whole thing falls flat on its face. Considering my lean word count, however, it's something for me to work on at least.

But less about me: I support your decision to anti-chronological and thoroughly second you!