Self-Publishing Basics

News, trends, and the future of publishing
dgaughran

Self-Publishing Basics

Post by dgaughran » March 22nd, 2012, 11:05 am

To counter some of the misinformation about how “difficult” or “expensive” self-publishing is, and to try and keep writers from the clutches of disreputable, incompetent, and/or overpriced self-publishing “services” I’ve put together a short 3,500 word primer on self-publishing basics. Obviously, this won’t cover every topic exhaustively, but it should give new writers a good starting point, and there are plenty of links for further reading.

It's also available for download as a short (free) PDF so people can copy, print, or share.

http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/basics/
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital

Ryan

Re: Self-Publishing Basics

Post by Ryan » March 22nd, 2012, 2:21 pm

Good stuff David. There have been a number of posts with the blanket question, "How do I self-publish?"

It's not something that can be answered with a one-liner or a single post unless you say.....Dedication.

Just got an iPad and looking forward to downloading some of your stuff.
My love of fly fishing and surfing connects me to rivers and the ocean. Time with water reminds me to pursue those silly little streams of thought that run rampant in my head.
http://www.withoutrain.com/

dgaughran

Post by dgaughran » March 23rd, 2012, 10:10 pm

I certainly think the right attitude is essential. You can't fob readers off with sub-standard work, you must only publish your best. And you must present your work in the most professional manner you can to give yourself the best shot. For me, that means professional editing, cover design, either learning how to format (properly), or hiring someone, an enticing blurb, and, of course, a good book. It's possible to succeed without some or even perhaps all of these things, but you give yourself a far, far greater chance of selling books if you do all the right things.

Patience is important too. You can do all the right things and you mightn't get a break until your second, third, fourth book. It's not easy, but it's very enjoyable.
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital

Mira

Post by Mira » March 24th, 2012, 3:59 pm

This is so cool of you, David. :D

SylviaB

Post by SylviaB » April 20th, 2012, 5:55 pm

This is so great, David. I'm in the very begining stages of the process so this is perfect timing for me! Thanks for sharing. I'll definately be spending some time on your blog :)

ebook-translations

Post by ebook-translations » June 24th, 2012, 6:10 am

Fantastic work David, I will share this with some clients that keep asking us questions and can find the perfect answers in your texts. Keep on rocking! Best regards, Juergen.
Get Your Work On The International Radar! Visit Us At http://www.ebook-translations.de.