seeking additional input about beginning publication steps

News, trends, and the future of publishing
marty

seeking additional input about beginning publication steps

Post by marty » February 17th, 2012, 12:56 pm

[This is my attempt to follow the instructions for beginner questions, i.e., hit "reply" in the Guidelines for Questions. That's not what I did when I put this reply out before, so:] Hello, folks. I am a beginner in self-publishing, and I was hoping to get some direction from those who are more experienced. How about if I start off by giving an overview of what I anticipate doing soon, and any who feel inclined may advise. (If this question would be better-placed elsewhere on the site, please let me know.) I plan on setting up my title with Lightning Source as a publisher, creating my own “incorporated” publishing company to avoid having the apparently less profitable “subsidy publisher client” status, and availing myself to LSI’s print-on-demand distribution package for handling sales and deliveries. As it seems to me now, I will incorporate through the use of a “legalzoom.com” package for $616.95. I want to go through the traditional, plain galley cover (with associated book information) for reviewers for about a six month margin, hopefully to gain favorable quotations to include on my illustrated cover design. When the book reviewer phase passes, and I avail the formats (simultaneously: hard cover, paperback, and ebook) publicly (amazon and b&n, etc.), I also plan to avail a book promotion poster, but I’m not sure about whether all my ideas for the poster are kosher, or legal. Would anything be necessarily wrong with the text toward the lower side of the poster, reading: “Order The Doorway Online / at / thedoorway.com /also available at / amazon.com & b&n.com.”? By the way, I’m wondering about whether or not Lightning Source could include such a personalized website title to feed directly into their own sales and delivery services. Well, I guess that’s enough for now; any thoughts anyone?

marty

Re: seeking additional input about beginning publication steps

Post by marty » February 27th, 2012, 9:05 pm

Hello, Marty. I noticed that nobody responded to the question(s) asked. Just for that, I'll add some more questions and hope for a knowledgeable, sharing soul; behold:
One of the things that may appeal to first-time publishers (as myself) is a proper sense of timing for various steps involved in the process of managing ones publishing efforts. For example, I plan on going through the typical six month reviewers' galley ("Uncorrected Proof Pages") phase before availing my novel for retail sales. I would appreciate some guidance about timing, regarding which of the following things should be present even in the reviewers' galley stage:
--ISBN
--barcode
--LCCN (or such-like cataloging data)
--copyright information
--any other "copyright page" or "front matter" information?

Things such as the following are timed to be in place for the retail formats, after the reviewers' galley stage runs its course, right (?):
--listed with Ingram, Baker and Taylor, Yankee Book Peddler, Blackwell Academic Book Center, R.R. Bowker (ABI, Books in Print), etc.
If someone out there could offer some guidance regarding these matters, it sure would be appreciated. Marty

Mira

Post by Mira » March 3rd, 2012, 7:52 pm

Hello Marty,

I'm sorry, I really don't know these things. There are lots of resources on the web - or you could try PMing some of the folks who responded on your other thread. They might know.

Good luck! :D

dgaughran

Post by dgaughran » March 8th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Marty,

I responded to a lot of this in your other thread here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4616

In short, you need to reevaluate your priorities and schedule.

Dave
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital