Children of all Ages

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Writecastlesinthesky

Children of all Ages

Post by Writecastlesinthesky » August 2nd, 2011, 2:45 pm

Perusing through a craft magazine this morning I found this add for a publishing house called GROUNDWOOD BOOKS.

Publishes novel-length literary fiction for children of all ages. 'We do not generally publish stories with an obvious moral or message or genre fictions such as thrillers or mysteries. We do not publish high-interest/low vocabulary fiction stories with anthropomorphic animals or elves/fairies as their main characters."

I am curious. What kind of children's books do they publish then?

Cookie

Re: Children of all Ages

Post by Cookie » August 4th, 2011, 10:19 am

Books about going to sleep or doing chores?

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » August 4th, 2011, 1:18 pm

How about something like OLIVER TWIST? I know we don't consider it a children's book, but I think a lot of the themes are perfectly suited for children's lit. Adventure stories ala Robert Louis Stevenson. I think it's a great idea.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » August 7th, 2011, 1:22 am

Groundwood is a Canadian publisher that publishes a selection of very good picture books, as well as literary MG and YA. Some of their books are: I KNOW HERE, by Laurel Croza and illustrated by Matt James, about a girl who faces her uncertainties about moving to a big city; The STELLA books, and others by Marie Louise Gay; MOTHER NUMBER ZERO, by Marjolijn Hof, about an adopted boy's search for his birth mother.

A number of their books are award-winning. Unfortunately, they are not open to unsolicited submissions - but they do not explicitly rule out unsolicited queries. ;-) We can hope, right?

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 11th, 2011, 2:29 pm

Ishta wrote:Groundwood is a Canadian publisher that publishes a selection of very good picture books, as well as literary MG and YA. Some of their books are: I KNOW HERE, by Laurel Croza and illustrated by Matt James, about a girl who faces her uncertainties about moving to a big city; The STELLA books, and others by Marie Louise Gay; MOTHER NUMBER ZERO, by Marjolijn Hof, about an adopted boy's search for his birth mother.

A number of their books are award-winning. Unfortunately, they are not open to unsolicited submissions - but they do not explicitly rule out unsolicited queries. ;-) We can hope, right?
I would interpret not open to submissions to include queries, though I guess you don't have much to lose by asking.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage