Loaning e-books

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Red Stick Writer

Loaning e-books

Post by Red Stick Writer » January 27th, 2011, 2:57 pm

http://www.sunherald.com/2011/01/26/280 ... stant.html

I'd like to see comments about this article, originally from the LA Times. I'm all for Kindle's new loaning policy. Nook had it all along. It cuts into sales, but it puts e-books more on a par with physical books. The EBookFling arrangement discussed in the linked article might go too far. It seems to be treading in an area reminiscent of the wild and wooly Napster days, though loans are limited to 14 days. It is a bit unlike library borrowing of physical books, in that libraries are limited to copies on hand. Just looking for comments...

KatieT

Re: Loaning e-books

Post by KatieT » January 31st, 2011, 12:11 pm

The concept is interesting, for sure. I wish I had thought of it! I would love to participate, however, I see the point of the article, as well as your own, in that the concept is "skating on thin ice". I'm not sure Amazon and Barnes & Noble will embrace it, especially considering that they (eBookFling) are charging $1.99 if you don't have "credits" to "borrow" the book you want. Amazon and Barnes & Noble are not going to like someone else making a profit.
If you do not breathe through writing, if you do not cry out in writing, or sing in writing, then don't write, because our culture has no use for it. - Anais Nin