So I want to self publish...and I did!

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Tycoon

So I want to self publish...and I did!

Post by Tycoon » January 5th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Hello all...

Some of you might remember the original post I made about self pubbing...

6 months ago I self published a novel I wrote for my wife as a Christmas gift after she had experienced a miscarriage and a loss of faith in God. I hired a professional editor who was a senior editor at McGraw-Hill for over 20 years and also a professional to design my cover.

I kinda received some flak for self publishing when I said I was printing out 100 copies and someone asked me what I was gonna do with the leftover 80 copies after my friends and family bought a copy. Well I am happy to announce that I have sold over 400 copies with basically just word of mouth sales, a website, and facebook. I was also lucky enough to have the wonderful Justine Dell who frequents this forum do a review! I also had published author Joy Dekok from Sheaf house do a interview and review.

I know many of you may disagree with self publishing but I want you all to understand that I think I fall into the 1% that self pubbing was meant for. I did this novel as a gift for my amazing wife... not to have a career in writing... and so far its been the the right decision.

Have a great day everyone!!!

Evelyn

Re: So I want to self publish...and I did!

Post by Evelyn » January 5th, 2011, 5:11 pm

Congratulations!

Thank you for sharing your self-publishing story; I think it is wonderful to hear from someone who has had such a great experience.

I was at a writer's conference last Spring, and one of the atendees told me that she'd spoken with several agents and editors. All of them supported and encouraged her in her decision to self-publish. It's nice to see that people can have this option if it is what is right for them.

Thanks,

Evelyn

Margo

Post by Margo » January 7th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Congratulations on the book selling out the first print run and more. That's a lot of copies for word of mouth and one review. Probably a good foundation to work from if you decide to go career.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Kenner R. McQuaid

Post by Kenner R. McQuaid » February 23rd, 2011, 10:26 pm

Congrats! Keep proving 'em wrong.

Dana-Lynn

Post by Dana-Lynn » April 4th, 2011, 8:51 am

Wow, that's awesome. Congratulations on your success. It's nice to hear.
*It's the writer's job to keep upping the ante on the complications, starting a bigger problem the minute the last one's resolved, keeping the reader turning those pages.*

Mira

Post by Mira » April 6th, 2011, 11:39 pm

That's wonderful! Best of luck to you! :)