"F*ck List" goes viral, HarperCollins interested

News, trends, and the future of publishing
tinylion

"F*ck List" goes viral, HarperCollins interested

Post by tinylion » October 4th, 2010, 9:37 am

A Duke student made a Powerpoint presentation of every guy she'd slept with during college, sent it to her friends, and called it the "F*ck List." It went viral. And after it appeared on Jezebel.com, agents and editors are now desperate to get to the author. A HarperCollins editor says "she's a very good, funny writer, and I'm wondering if she has any interest in writing a book."

This makes me think that the only way to get published these days is to pull a stunt, or to get yourself on Jezebel.com. I wonder who this HarperCollins editor is...because I have a Powerpoint that I think she'd be very interested in. http://jezebel.com/5653207/college-girl ... s-interest

maybegenius

Re: "F*ck List" goes viral, HarperCollins interested

Post by maybegenius » October 4th, 2010, 10:40 pm

I know it can get frustrating when we hear stories like these... "OMG, the guy that tweets Sh*t My Dad Says got a BOOK DEAL? Why am I even bothering to write a traditional book?" But these stories are really sensationalistic and don't represent everything (or even most of the things) being published today. They're just that... sensationalist news stories. Publishers aren't really just looking for the next big publicity stunt. They just pay attention to them ;)
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

Mira

Post by Mira » October 5th, 2010, 10:46 am

ROFL. Well, she probably is a very good writer.

I think there are many, many, many people who could write a list like that and not go viral. I think - for talented people - the internet offers more than one road to success and going viral is one of them. Chances are she would have been sucessful if she went through the traditional route too - she's probably quite funny and pithy.

Goodness knows, if I wrote a list like that, it would be high tragedy, and people would probably pay me NOT to read it.

:) Just kidding.

Sort of.

Jessa

Post by Jessa » October 5th, 2010, 10:56 am

I just have to wonder how she's going to feel when she's in her 40s, trying to explain to her teen daughter why she shouldn't be banging the entire football team...

I could never have such a list. The only way I'd get a book deal out of my sex life is if it was a pop-up book.

androidblues

Post by androidblues » October 9th, 2010, 9:45 pm

Sounds like a dumber version of 'And The Heart Says Whatever'.
http://www.thebooklantern.com

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I never want to hear the screams of the teenage girls in other people's dreams.

In the real word as in dreams, nothing is quite what it seems.

Mira

Post by Mira » October 10th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Jessa wrote:I just have to wonder how she's going to feel when she's in her 40s, trying to explain to her teen daughter why she shouldn't be banging the entire football team...

I could never have such a list. The only way I'd get a book deal out of my sex life is if it was a pop-up book.
That's pretty funny.

Margo

Post by Margo » October 11th, 2010, 12:19 pm

She said she never intended anyone outside a few friends to see this. The guys in question and the school are pretty upset. If she signs a book deal for anything involving the same info, I suspect lawsuits will be forthcoming.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » October 12th, 2010, 10:35 pm

Aw, that's sort of sad....although maybe more appropriate. This was such an opportunity for her though.....well, I'm sure she's talented. Hopefully, they'll utilize her in another way.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 13th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Margo wrote:She said she never intended anyone outside a few friends to see this. The guys in question and the school are pretty upset. If she signs a book deal for anything involving the same info, I suspect lawsuits will be forthcoming.
This. Because everyone involved in that would be able to sue for rights and money I'm sure. They're involved.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Margo

Post by Margo » October 13th, 2010, 8:46 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
Margo wrote:She said she never intended anyone outside a few friends to see this. The guys in question and the school are pretty upset. If she signs a book deal for anything involving the same info, I suspect lawsuits will be forthcoming.
This. Because everyone involved in that would be able to sue for rights and money I'm sure. They're involved.
I'm guessing emotional distress or even some kind of defamation or slander might be possible, depending on what she can prove and what she can't. For anyone who hasn't seen this, the names have been blacked out but the photos have not.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/