Foreign Rights? Oui, oui.

News, trends, and the future of publishing
RLS

Foreign Rights? Oui, oui.

Post by RLS » September 23rd, 2010, 5:51 pm

Question for Nathan or anyone who has had experience with foreign rights. My agent's assistant emailed and asked me to send first 50 pages of my sold manuscript because their co-agent is going to frankfurt and will try to sell foreign rights.
I am working on revisions with my editor and everything is peachy-keen (and by peachy-keen, I mean very stressful). We still don't have a title and my pub date is not until early 2012. Before I ask my agent about pros and cons of waiting -- I thought I'd ask Nathan to educate the masses on the topic. And please forgive me if you've already blogged about this. (or if it's taboo to ask direct question via a forum post.)

And ... for what it's worth (and to me it's worth everything) a heartfelt thank you to Nathan because this blog supported me in writing and selling my novel.

Down the well

Re: Foreign Rights? Oui, oui.

Post by Down the well » September 23rd, 2010, 9:49 pm

Don't have any experience with foreign rights, but big congrats on selling your novel!!

Mira

Post by Mira » September 24th, 2010, 12:49 am

I'm with Down the Well - no idea about foreign rights. But congrats on selling your book! What a fun question to have. :)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 24th, 2010, 7:37 pm

RLS wrote:Question for Nathan or anyone who has had experience with foreign rights. My agent's assistant emailed and asked me to send first 50 pages of my sold manuscript because their co-agent is going to frankfurt and will try to sell foreign rights.
I am working on revisions with my editor and everything is peachy-keen (and by peachy-keen, I mean very stressful). We still don't have a title and my pub date is not until early 2012. Before I ask my agent about pros and cons of waiting -- I thought I'd ask Nathan to educate the masses on the topic. And please forgive me if you've already blogged about this. (or if it's taboo to ask direct question via a forum post.)

And ... for what it's worth (and to me it's worth everything) a heartfelt thank you to Nathan because this blog supported me in writing and selling my novel.
Congrats!

I'd defer to your agent on that one, they'll have a much better idea of the specifics of the situation than me.