E-book experience

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Mira

E-book experience

Post by Mira » August 21st, 2010, 2:25 pm

So, I went to see the musical Wicked last night! WOW!

So, at 2 a.m., I thought: I'm going to read the book. I pulled my I-phone out of my shirt pocket, and went onto my Kindle app. I looked up MacGuire's Wicked, read the reviews (mixed), pressed a button, and bought it for 10 bucks (paperpack was 8 bucks, but I'd have to wait a week and a half.) It downloaded onto my phone in less than a minute. Then I went back to sleep.

This morning, I was browsing it, and it's so cool. It has maps and pictures and quotes. It also has some e-book extras - a discussion guide and the entire original book of the Wizard of Oz(!) I haven't read that in years, so I thought I'd start with that version and then compare stories. So, I'm about a third of a way through the original, and I forgot how charming it is. Two books for one - can't beat that!

Anyway, just thought I'd share how much I LOVE MY KINDLE. :)

Down the well

Re: E-book experience

Post by Down the well » August 21st, 2010, 2:33 pm

Glad you liked Wicked!

But it's too bad you don't live closer. I would have loaned you my bookshelf copy of Maguire's Wicked for free. ;)

Mira

Post by Mira » August 21st, 2010, 2:41 pm

Oh, I loved it. It's haunting me. :)

Thanks for the offer of the loan - that's totally nice of you! But I want to own it and look through the pictures. Besides, I wouldn't have wanted to wake you at 2 a.m. ;)

If I like Wicked, I'm going to work my way through his books. I've heard Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is good too.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 21st, 2010, 2:56 pm

Mira wrote:Thanks for the offer of the loan - that's totally nice of you!
Not nice at all, my pretty. I'm trying to destroy the e-book revolution one book at a time. Curses!

You may have foiled me this time, but those Ugly Step Sisters might not be so easy to get at the push of a button next time.

Yeah, they probably will, but whatever...

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » August 22nd, 2010, 10:05 pm

Good on you, Down the well! But one E-book at a time isn't fast enough. They're multiplying! We'll have to subtract, and divide and conquer.

Mira, you do realize studies have shown E-BOOKS MAKE YOU FAT!

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

Quill

Post by Quill » August 23rd, 2010, 10:19 am

I was checking out the Nook at Barnes & Noble, and noticed a flash each time I "turned" a page. I didn't like the flash. It's bad enough on my computer, I don't want it reading books, too.

Wonder if Kindle works the same.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 23rd, 2010, 2:13 pm

Down the Well - Ha! I secretly suspected that you had a hidden agenda. Know why? I have one too! I won't rest until all the paperbooks are melted.....melted.....

J.T. - all books make you fat. It's called exercise, and I thoroughly recommend avoiding it at all costs. Just interrupts your reading time. Also, paperbooks give you warts.

Quill - no. there's no flash on the Kindle. There's a warm glow, like sunshine warming fresh baked bread served with just-picked strawberries and just-churned cream. So wholesome and nutritious.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 23rd, 2010, 2:28 pm

Mira wrote:There's a warm glow, like sunshine warming fresh baked bread served with just-picked strawberries and just-churned cream. So wholesome and nutritious.
Mira, you owe me a new keyboard, cuz I just tossed my cookies all over this one.

And J.T., you make me laugh out loud. :D

Margo

Post by Margo » August 23rd, 2010, 2:49 pm

Mira wrote:there's no flash on the Kindle. There's a warm glow, like sunshine warming fresh baked bread served with just-picked strawberries and just-churned cream. So wholesome and nutritious.
Actually, that's the death of brain cells as the gamma radiation fries them. At the moment of death, they explode, releasing the chemical tracers associated with memories, hence the sensory experience of the memories stored in the now destroyed cells. Sunshine, fresh bread, strawberries, and cream are the smell of death.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » August 23rd, 2010, 4:56 pm

Down the well wrote: Mira, you owe me a new keyboard, cuz I just tossed my cookies all over this one.
Down the Well, that's the detoxification starting. It's a good thing.
Margo wrote: Sunshine, fresh bread, strawberries, and cream are the smell of death.
Margo - I'm worried about you.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 24th, 2010, 11:31 am

Ha!

I have another story for all of you doubters.

I got a present for my birthday last week - the Hunger Games.

I read it in one gulp on Sunday.
Bought the sequel right after I finished. Downloaded it in 30 seconds.
Read the sequel in one gulp on Monday.
Went to Kindle - noticed the final book is released today (!). Pre-ordered it.
Downloaded it to to my I-phone this morning in 30 seconds.

Not only was it easy-peasy, I read 4 books this weekend (the Wizard of Oz). Aside from the fact that I need another job to support my reading habit, it's good all around. The author, publisher and Amazon all made money off of me, and I read a bunch of books.

Convert anyone yet?

Margo

Post by Margo » August 24th, 2010, 2:13 pm

Mira wrote:Convert anyone yet?
Takes me 10 seconds to go to the bookshelf at the end of my bed and pick up the next book in my To Read pile, which grows faster than I can keep up with anyway. Since my bookstore trips are part of my social life, I never have the need to order a book in 30 seconds. It's usually already on my shelf, waiting its turn.

Nathan's newest selling point, on the other hand...
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Down the well

Post by Down the well » August 24th, 2010, 2:31 pm

I had a wonderful trip to the bookstore this morning. Gave my heart a little flutter to see all the Mockingjay books piled up on the front table. I greedily hugged one of the hard copies to my chest then continued to peruse the back covers of other books in the store, knowing I would find something else to compliment my $8 purchase (had a coupon).

There was an outstanding display that the store employees put together of their recommended reads. I browsed through it but discovered I'd read most of the books already, so I wandered a little longer. And then there it was, on the discount table, a four-book collection of Jane Austen novels all in one ENORMOUS volume for $8. I lugged that two pound beauty up to the counter along with my brilliant blue copy of Mockingjay, and had a lovely chat with the sales person about what a good deal I'd found. The sale complete, the woman told me to have a nice day and I bid her the same, hoping she still has her job a year from now.

**Edited to say that paper books are my preference, but I honestly don't care how someone obtains their books as long as they're reading. Mostly I just like teasing MIra. ;)

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » August 24th, 2010, 10:19 pm

A month ago, I bought the book "City of Ember" on my PC Kindle app that I use on my netbook. It's not as nice as a Kindle, but it's okay. So, I finished the book about midnight, and then discovered that there was a sequel! Whee! I bought it instantly and began reading a minute later. I loved that convenience.

However, I have funky eyes, and I need my contacts in to read on my computer. By the end of the night, my eyes are tired and it's hard to read. For some reason, I don't have trouble reading regular books without my contacts in, in certain light, which just so happens to be the light from my bedroom lamp.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » August 24th, 2010, 11:48 pm

Mira, I still love paper, warts and all!

Margo, I have a bookshelf at the end of my bed too, but my To Read pile overflows onto the bed, other bookshelves, tables, chairs, and the floor. I read whichever book I trip over next.