Self-publishing audio?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Nathan Bransford

Self-publishing audio?

Post by Nathan Bransford » April 9th, 2017, 7:47 am

Has anyone self-published an audio version of their book? How did you do it and how did it go?

erikhanberg

Re: Self-publishing audio?

Post by erikhanberg » April 14th, 2017, 11:50 pm

I've self-published audio!

By the numbers:

I've self-published 5 audiobooks through ACX.com. 3 of those are nonfiction (narrative how-to) that I narrate. 2 of them are fiction (adventure sci-fi) that a voice actor narrates. For all books, I paid out of pocket to use a local studio and talent and didn't go through the ACX platform or with a royalty share.

I have about 3,100 sales and make on average a few dollars per book.

As a self-published author, I am using a perma-free strategy to attract readers. Two of my ebooks are free to attract readers. Because they also have corresponding audiobooks that are "whisper-synced" Amazon automatically markets the audiobook at a substantial discount to people who have downloaded the free ebook. This gives me a small but nice revenue stream from a free ebook, not counting those who go on to buy later books.

I think audiobook sales should be part of any self-publishing author's plans. For a traditionally published author who has the audio rights to his or her book, I would recommend it 100%.